Advice re parking rental car/safety

flashdog_1

I have read about this subject in some reviews, but not sure I understand it, so am asking for clarification.

Do you feel it is wisest to leave the car UNlocked and just take everything with you, to avoid the car being broken into? That was the gist I got from the reviews, but maybe I read it wrong. Help!

I'm thinking specifically about parking at state parks or at the side of the road on the Road to Hana where you will be far away from the car.

Should I assume that it is different when parking in a town? Thanks

I am from Hawaii and frequent many of the "State Park" tourist spots and have seen this mistake made all too often.

LOCK your doors and make sure that you do not have any "touristy" types of items in clear view. Items would include maps, sunglasses, rental car agreements and paperwork, boogie boards, tourist publications, etc. You do not want anything in plain sight that shows that you are a tourist or visiting. Many of these car thieves are drug users so they are looking for something quick to sell or a target that has a possibility of something that could be sold.

Those who prey on tourists do so because they know that if they get caught chances are that the tourists are not going to come back to the islands for any subsequent court dates.

It doesnt matter if you are in a shopping center or a state park. IMHO though, the State Parks are the worse. Time and time again you will hear of tourists having their cars broken into.

Never leave your car unlocked. Someone could easily open the door, plunge the starter and your car will be taken on a joy ride OR the thieves will steal from another car and used an unlocked car to make their getaway.

I would say to leave all your valuables back on the ship. Take only what is needed and when you leave your car, take all valuables with you. If you do need to leave things in the car--put it in the trunk. This goes for state parks, side of the road, shopping centers....ANYWHERE.

I hate to say this while you are supposed to be on vacation but expect the worse.

We had two bags with us in the car. One had stuff that could be replaced like suntan lotion, bug spray, gum, travel umbrella. We still stuck this under the seat and made sure it didn't show. The stuff we couldn't easily replace or was going to be used on that very stop was with us. This keeps you from bringing everything you own from the ship. I had DH keep an eye on me since the camera can be a great distraction. My stuff was in something that had strong straps, was diagonal across my body and hung in front. We actually started doing this in Europe. There you really have to watch for pick pockets. We did see a policeman talking to people in one parking lot. There are official warning signs at many of the parking lots and scenic stops.

Archived