Wondering about this excursion

Gingee

We usually don't take the cruise sponsored excursions but this is something I would like:

Famous Homes & Hideaways Cruise

Discover tranquil island hideaways onboard the most informative and highly entertaining sightseeing cruise in [More]

$45 for two hours

Can this be done cheaper on your own?

Sounds interesting.

We were on a Fantasea catamaran snorkel trip and the guide talked about some of the amazing homes. Some have caves that have been transformed into luxurious basements!

$45 is not a bad price for an excursion and maybe they'll serve up swizzles during your cruise. Some cab rides can cost that much.

Enjoy! :cool:

I just came back from the Norwegian Majesty's last ever sailing to St George. NCL's shorex folks were offering a similar sightseeing cruise from that end of the island, and if I'm not mistaken it was one of three tours offered on the boat "Coral Sea" that was tied up just outside the terminal building in St. George. The Coral Sea was taking cash from walk-up customers, in addition to the folks who bought excursions from the ship. In St. George, there really isn't a huge tourist walk-up crowd like there could be in the Dockyard, so you could probably walk up to the boat and get on just about any one of their sailings for less. In the dockyard though, it might be worth it to get a guaranteed ticket from the ship's shorex folks.

I don't know if they are using the Coral Sea or another boat for your particular excursion, so I can't comment on the specific tour. We did the glass-bottom reef tour and turtle spotting cruise on the Coral Sea, and it was pretty good albeit a little pricey for 1.5 hours.....

We look forward to an excursion on the Coral Sea every year. Our favorite is the Sunset Cocktail Cruise in St George (which was not offered at Dockyard this past May) Beau is a great host. You're right, he has several excursions. He also owns the free shuttle train at Dockyard. We take the 'ship sponsored tours'. We went on his Rich and Famous trip this year from Heritage Wharf and it was well worth it. We toured around in some beautiful areas and had very interesting discussions. Check out his website by googling the Coral Sea. Lots of photos.

We look forward to an excursion on the Coral Sea every year. Our favorite is the Sunset Cocktail Cruise in St George (which was not offered at Dockyard this past May) Beau is a great host. You're right, he has several excursions. He also owns the free shuttle train at Dockyard. We take the 'ship sponsored tours'. We went on his Rich and Famous trip this year from Heritage Wharf and it was well worth it. We toured around in some beautiful areas and had very interesting discussions. Check out his website by googling the Coral Sea. Lots of photos.

FWIW, I was just looking through pictures that I took, and saw one of the Coral Sea's walk-up pricing sign from 10/28/2009. Although I don't have the shorex price sheet in front of me to verify this, the prices on their sign looked to be the same as what NCL was charging on the Majesty:

$30 -> 1 hour glass-bottom tour (NCL did not offer this one?)

$46 -> 1.5 hour glass-bottom historic tour

$58 -> 2 hour rich & famous cocktail cruise (drinks included)

$54 -> 1.25 hour sunset glass-bottom cocktail cruise (drinks included)

If they were different, it was only by a buck or two. Adding on the convenience of paying via credit card charged to your OBC versus having to bring cash to pay at the boat, I'd say this is one time where booking the shorex through NCL was actually better than doing it on your own.....

In 2006, we took an around the island high speed boat tour. We went all around the island & stopped at various historic sites. We also stopped at the houses of famous people. We, unfortunately did it in the pouring rain! However, this is still our favorite excursion, ever! I hope this tour is still offered, as we'd like to do it in sunshine. I've been looking for the name of it, but can't find it.

Archived