has anyone been to the Rain Forrest in Costa Rica?

oilmanowen

We are going to be on Jewel Of The Seas.next month....

and we are looking forward to going to the rain forrest in costa rica........butI'm confused as to what to wear and what not to wear............can anyone give me the right advice????????Thanks.........Owen

Check with the company you're booking with. Mine provided a rain poncho, I would pack one if it doesn't. They also provided a backpack, walking stick, and insect repellent. Wear comfortable shoes. I would also wear long pants and sleeves because it is easy to get scratched and bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we have been to Costa Rica twice. The most important thing to remember is the insect repellant for you and your clothing, as an extra precaution. Comfortable shoes that can get dirty, long pants, and a tank top (is very hot and humid) or a regular t-shirt for men. I dont' think you will need long sleeves. Like someone else said, take an inexpensive rain poncho just in case. The jungle it's the most beautiful place!!! Pura vida.

I disagree with one of the prior posts . . . long-sleeved shirts are preferred because it gives you more protection from the insects. There are some light weight long-sleeve shirts available that help with the heat, but better to be a bit warm than to pick up malaria.

The standard refrain for repellent is to go with DEET, but nearly as good and more pleasant is picaradin. Also, you may want to spray your clothes with permethrin.

Wear decent shoes, something that will give you necessary support. Not necessarily hiking boots for backpacking, but certainly not flip flops.

Do consult with your physician to determine if he or she recommend any other precautions against malaria, yellow fever, etc.

Hi,

We were at Veragua 6 days ago. Definitely bring a poncho - you will get rained on, guaranteed (it is a rain forest). While I brought bug repellant (98% DEET*), I didn't need it. Not a single mosquito.

The hiking trails there are actually boardwalks and stairs, so while hiking boots are not necessary, something comfortable and, if possible, waterproof, would be good. The boardwalks and floors in the cafe (sealed concrete) can be very slippery.

Otherwise, cargo shorts and a shirt that breathes - I find the cotton T-shirts too warm and they stay wet. A short-sleeved button up shirt would do fine. If the mosquitos are out, then long-sleeved shirts and long pants would be good. However, as a resident of Florida, I have had mosquitos bite through denim. Most of the guides at Veragua seemed to be wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts.

* DEET melts plastic, so be careful with it and wash your hands before handling your camera, binoculars or glasses.

Art

Hi,

We were at Veragua 6 days ago. Definitely bring a poncho - you will get rained on, guaranteed (it is a rain forest). While I brought bug repellant (98% DEET*), I didn't need it. Not a single mosquito.

* DEET melts plastic, so be careful with it and wash your hands before handling your camera, binoculars or glasses.

Our experience was the opposite: no rain but plenty of insects! One really needs to be prepared for either.

DEET is the most effective, but there are a few issues including the plastic one. Give picaradin a try for it has few (if any) side issues.

Where is picaradin available? I haven't seen it before.

It has only been available in the United States for a few years, and only last year was it approved at higher concentrations. See http://www.picaridin.com.

The original brand was Cutter, and this brand remains available. There are two Cutter products. One is "Cutter Advanced," a pump bottle with 7 percent picaridin. See http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/RepellentProducts/Cutter+Advanced. The other is "Cutter Advanced Sport," an aerosol with 15 percent picaridin. See http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/RepellentProducts/AdvancedSport. I prefer the greater control of a pump spray, but while the 7 percent solution might be OK in the backyard one might prefer a 15 percent solution when in the tropics with more aggressive insects. It had been that there was a 15 percent solution pump--also using the name "Cutter Advanced Sport--that was sold exclusively at REI Co-op, but that product now appears to be discontinued.

Another brand is Sawyer. The "Premium Insect Repellent" comes in a pump bottle of two different sizes, but both at 20 percent solution. The company does not show the product on its website, but it is available at REI Co-op. See http://www.rei.com/product/785883 and http://www.rei.com/product/785878. It would appear as though REI made the decision to replace its Cutter Advanced Sport pump bottle with the Sawyer pump bottle, perhaps because of the higher concentration Sawyer is providing.

Finally, there is the Natrapel brand. There are two products here. One is a 20 percent pump bottle. The other is 20 percent wipes. See http://www.tendercorp.com/products.php?cat=59. I have no direct experience with this brand--so I can't give a thumbs up or thumbs down--but to the extent that some people like wipes this might be a good product to try.

One more note and returning to Swayer: there is one more useful product with this brand. This is permethrin, an inset repellent used on clothing. By treating your clothing with this chemical you'll keep the insects away more effectively than with just the personal insect repellent. Do not use permethrin on your skin. See http://www.sawyerproducts.com/permethrin.htm.

The websites indicate where you can buy these products. I made my purchases from REI Co-op through its mail order service. You should also be able to make purchases from other outdoor and backpacking stores, such as EMS or Campmor.

We went to Veragua last April on Jewell of the Seas. Our experience was no rain nor insects. As Nukesailor mentioned, the guides all wore short sleeves and shorts. You aren't actually breaking through the jungle growth, as you are in Guatemala. Everywhere you go is, for the most part, wooden walkways. The butterfly enclosure is interesting and so is the darken building where you can experience the jungle's nightlife. However, if you're claustrophobic or uncomfortable in dark places, that's one part of the tour you may want to skip.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for your information - there is no yellow fever in Costa Rica and very little malaria. There are also effective repellants you can buy here in Costa Rica that work very well. As for what to wear - it's really up to you. People wear everything from long pants and long sleeves with a hat to shorts and tank top. Sneakers are the best thing for the trails. I actually saw one woman heading off to the trail in short shorts, tight tank top and high heels! I was tempted to follow to see what happened but could only imagine her discomfort. However, I would recommend taking either a small poncho like the kind you get in a small plastic bag or a small folding umbrella. The poncho protects you but is hot. If it rains, it is usually for a short time and the forest canopy actually protects you quite a bit so you may see your guide carrying neither of these things.

You will LOVE the rainforest! It is spectacular.

We did the Veragua rain forest excursion last week while on the Jewel. Half of us wore shorts and short sleeves, the rest long pants and long sleeves. I used bug spray, however no one seemed to be bothered by insects. It did not rain when we were there, but watch where you step! On the stairs leading down to the waterfall there was quite a bit of what was probably monkey poop on the stairs and hand railings and had to avoid stepping in it or touching it. I wore my tennis shoes, some people wore sandals. No one seemed to have any problems.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

just took a tour of the CARARA RAINFOREST with NCL~STAR and i wore long sleeve shirt with tank top and hubby short sleeve and both of us long pants...we didnt use insect repellent no one really did on our tour and we werent bothered at all by insects...we did the morning tour...most of the people were in short sleeves and some shorts too....just wear what you feel comfortable in and comfortable walking shoes too:)

Archived