Bottom Bay Beach

cantwait06

Hello everyone,

I apoligize in advance if this has been discussed before, I searched but did not find the information I am looking for.

I have been drooling over Alpmac's pictures of Bottom Bay beach and I have decided that I MUST see this beach when I visit Barbados next year! I haven't been able to find very much information on this beach though-has anyone gone? Can you tell me anything about it? I appreciate any and all information!

Thank you all!

What do you want to know about Bottom Bay?

It's probably one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. It's isolated. No amenities. No snorkeling. No swimming unless you are aware of the strong undertow and are an excellent swimmer. A death-wish helps, too. No lifegaurds. Just beauty and solitude.

Well worth a picnic there. You won't be disappointed.

A little more here: http://www.barbados.org/botbay.htm

Have a nice holiday.

We havevn't been, but like you, I think it looks beautiful. We were thinking of just stopping for a bit to take some pictures and walk the beach a bit but not stay long (due to the lack of facilities and swimming/snorkeling). Probably not the most cost effect thing to do, but then hey, a tour does just that... goes around and stops for a few minutes at sights then moves along to the next one.

I really do want to see it. let us know if you do decide to check it out!

"...it sounds like a must see, but since it doesn't sound safe to swim there, maybe not for a whole day visit..."

Most don't spend the day here unless you're body-surfing or boogie-boarding.

Many visit Bottom Bay, Crane (Long Bay) and Foul Bay on a one-hour each taxi tour first thing in the morning and finish on west coast beaches in the afternoon which are 10-20 minutes from your ship. There you'll find good snorkeling, calm waters (on most days) and amenities.

After you have seen both coasts, the sheer beauty of Barbados' SE and East coasts will stay with you forever. They are that good, don't miss them!

Many visit Bottom Bay, Crane (Long Bay) and Foul Bay on a one-hour each taxi tour first thing in the morning and finish on west coast beaches in the afternoon which are 10-20 minutes from your ship. There you'll find good snorkeling, calm waters (on most days) and amenities.

I love the pictures and really do want to be there in person. This taxi tour, is it something where you just find a taxi when you get off the ship and ask them to take you to each place?

Also, would the taxi drivers be willing to take us to Bottom Bay and to come back and pick us up at a designated time to take us to another beach or back to the port? I would be slightly terrified to get stranded out there!

Do you know how far Bottom Bay is from the port?

Thanks again for your help!

Bottom Bay is probably 12 or 13 miles from the dock. A 30-60 minute drive depending on traffic.

Generally, one must hire a taxi for the duration when touring the east coast and stopping at places for an extended time. There are few places a taxi driver can pick up another fare while waiting for you, so he must wait. Same for you, few to hail when you need one.

When you get off the ship and go through impound (the duty-free stores), continue walking through the back door, PAST the hordes to taxi drivers, through the gatehouse and out into the street. There, you'll find the taxi drivers that will accommodate you for much less money.

Tell them what you wish to do and how many hours you will spend and negotiate a price ($25US/hr for up to four in the cab, $10 or $12.50US/hr standby time (while you're on the beaches).

He'll drop you off at a west coast beach afterward where there are plenty of idle taxis/vans/buses anytime to get you back to the ship. Don't worry about transport on the west coast.

You may not want to return to the west coast after seeing the beaches of the east coast. They've brought many a tourist back to the island all by themselves. I'd make a full day of the east coast letting your driver be your guide and save the west coast for next time.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks Ming! Great info. We were thinking of doing just the East, and maybe South beaches, but then started considering doing a turtle snorkel as well. Do you think that's doable? Would it be better to do the snorkeing first though to avoid the crowds? it sounds like beaches like Bottom bay don't get busy.

You didn't mention how many hours that you had to tour. Generally, it seems to be an 9AM-5PM window, but perhaps your ship will not sail until later.

I realize that you wish to cram in everything in that small window, but sometimes that will work against you.

To answer your question though, yes, you could do both in an 8-hour day. A rushed day, however.

If you were to do the turtles in the morning, plan on that taking at least 3 hours.

So now it's close to noon and you're hungry, lunch takes an hour and then transport to Bottom Bay, you're looking at 2pm, or so. Kinda rushed. No crowds on the east/SE beaches.

I'd do a full day on the east coast. See the beaches. Meet the people. Have lunch at the Atlantis in Bathsheba or The Crane. Relax. Enjoy. ***RELAX***

A choice of just the east coast isn't “less of a day”. You'll find that it is actually more of a day. In fact, most tourists that just visit the east coast will tell you that they had the best time they've ever had.

Question more than one taxi driver to find a person you feel comfortable with and would enjoy spending the day with, then let him show you his island. He knows it best.

Consider saving the west coast for your next visit. :)

thanks so much ming, your information is extrememly helpful! Where we live we don't really use taxi's, so I guess I never knew you could ask a cab driver to take us around for the day! I appreciate your help, and I like the idea of just seeing the east coast! We have from about 9-5 in Barbados (I think) so I guess I won't cram anything else into that day, although I was also really liking the idea of swimming with turtles!

Archived