traveling with a toddler?!

new2cruising86

I know it is hard...but leave the 2yo with a loving grandparent. You will for sure have more fun without her. However if you take her, know that it is doable. Go with the understanding that you wont have 100% romance, and make sure your DH understands that too. Understand that you will still be feeding, bathing and strolling at times. But I will stress, you will enjoy yourself more without. If the question was to cruise with a 2YO or not cruise, I would say take the 2yo and cruise. But if you have a choice...leave baby at home. I know it will be hard for you...but throughout the day you will find yourself lost in fun. Of course you will find yourself thinking about the baby, and then you will hear someone say VACATION' and then you'll be fine again.:)

My wife and i decided that we have children, we are a family. Families travel and go on vacation together. My 4 year old has been on 2 cruises and my 1.5 has been on 1 cruise. It was a little more work but so worth it with the memories that will stay with me 4ever. Your alone time will come again when your children are grown up.

I'm sorry, I can not agree with you. As a couple you NEED that time with your husband/wife to keep your marriage healty and alive, without the kids. I respect your opinion, but I truly believe that if you and your husband were to take a trip just the two of you, you will come to realize that you should have done that long ago. So many couples take those ''second honeymoon'', wiithout the kids, and come home to a much happier home, warm welcomes from the kids, you appreciate your kids more and your kids appreciate you more. As a kid my parents took cruises and mini vacations throughout the year and left my sister and me with family, let me tell you, I was so excited when my parents came home. Now as an adult I realize why, I missed them, simple as that, something that I wouldn't have experience had they taken us in every single trip or outing they did.

To the OP: I totally get where you are coming from. Having separation anxiety is totally different than just not wanting to leave your kids behind. But trust me, you need this, and your daughter needs it too. If she has issues with being left behind in her regular everyday daycare, yes, start separating a little now, otherwise you might find yourself traveling with your 20 something year old child, because THEY can't be away from you. Go, have fun and bring her lots and lots of stuff back, that always helps too ;) gifts !!!!! :D

OP, ultimately you need to do what you and your DH feel is best for you at this time. You will get recommendations to both take your little one with you, as well as leave her home...if you don't feel comfortable leaving your DD for a week, then don't. Don't think because you are wanting her with you that somehow she will never leave your side...that's silly, she's only 2!! :)

For what it's worth, DH and I are bringing our 2 boys, ages 4 and 2, on a cruise leaving tomorrow and they are sooo excited, as are we! While I can appreciate the idea of a romantic trip for just DH and I, we really do look forward to seeing our boys' faces light up when getting on the ship, and knowing all the fun they will have. Plus, we have purposely booked a balcony suite so that we can have some private time at night if they are asleep (and we plan on taking advantage of babysitting as well!). The most important thing is that this is what DH and I both want, so both of us are happy with bringing our boys. If your DH is not so happy with the idea, you really need to sit down and get on the same page with him. You want to work it so both of you are getting the vacation you will enjoy - if you can't be away for 1 week from your DD, then you shouldn't... no need to feel guilt over your parenting instincts - again, she is only 2, not 12. However, if she is close to grandparents and they've watched her before, and that is an option you may feel comfortable with, then maybe it's something to consider leaving her with them?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kelly :)

My wife and i decided that we have children, we are a family. Families travel and go on vacation together. My 4 year old has been on 2 cruises and my 1.5 has been on 1 cruise. It was a little more work but so worth it with the memories that will stay with me 4ever. Your alone time will come again when your children are grown up.

I remember when I was 2 years old and... oh wait, I don't remember anything from when I was 2. ;) The OP's daughter is 2 years old and won't even remember the cruise. While I respect your personal decision, I don't think this is the right decision for everyone.

OP, you ultimately have to make this decision for yourself, but honestly I think the fact that you're so worried about this already shows what a good mom you are. I agree with other posters who have highlighted the importance of a happy, healthy marriage. That's the best gift you can give your child. It sounds like you have a good support system, with grandparents who would be more than happy to spend time with their grandchild, so if it was me I'd leave her with them and enjoy a much deserved vacation with your husband. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise! :)

I remember when I was 2 years old and... oh wait, I don't remember anything from when I was 2. ;) The OP's daughter is 2 years old and won't even remember the cruise. While I respect your personal decision, I don't think this is the right decision for everyone.

Sometimes its not about the child's memories, but its about the parents memories of the child. It is for me anyway-I couldn't imagine not taking our daughter with us. Would be have a different vacation without her? Probably. Do I regret taking her? Absolutely not.

To each his own.

I agree with most of the other posters. My dc are 4 and 2 and so far, we have not taken them cruising with us. I really want to, but, the timing hasn't been right. In January, it will be are 3rd cruise since my ds was born (he will be 5 then). Every time, I have been emotional for the first 30 min or so, but, by the time we boarded the plane, it was starting to be better! Each time we have gone, it has been the best thing for our marriage. My dh and I need time without our kids, and this gives us that opportunity. It also gives them time with their grandparents who absolutely love their time!

thank you all for your opinions it really helped me see all different views in the matter. My husband and I sat down last night and we decided that she IS only two, and she wouldnt really get to remember going on the cruise. we go to disney world every year with our whole family and we have taken her both years and will continue this year also. and since she IS only two, and we are still young, we decided to take advantage of the time we CAN spend together alone. in a couple of years, we will take her on a cruise and I know she will have a blast, but this time we really need to take time to bond ourselves to make our relationship stronger. we never took a honeymoon or any other kind of romantic getaway so I think that it will be perfect for us. our daughter LOVES being with her grandparents (as do they) and I do feel comfortable knowing that she is with them. I know it will be very hard to leave but I have a feeling that once we are off, we will enjoy ourselves. who knows, we might not EVER get another chance to cruise, I wouldnt want to regret not taking it! :D

thank you all for your opinions it really helped me see all different views in the matter. My husband and I sat down last night and we decided that she IS only two, and she wouldnt really get to remember going on the cruise. we go to disney world every year with our whole family and we have taken her both years and will continue this year also. and since she IS only two, and we are still young, we decided to take advantage of the time we CAN spend together alone. in a couple of years, we will take her on a cruise and I know she will have a blast, but this time we really need to take time to bond ourselves to make our relationship stronger. we never took a honeymoon or any other kind of romantic getaway so I think that it will be perfect for us. our daughter LOVES being with her grandparents (as do they) and I do feel comfortable knowing that she is with them. I know it will be very hard to leave but I have a feeling that once we are off, we will enjoy ourselves. who knows, we might not EVER get another chance to cruise, I wouldnt want to regret not taking it! :D

I am so glad that you have come to this decision and did it together. My husband and I teach marriage preparation at our church and the one thing we encourage married people to do is to make time for themselves and their relationship. We all know that you both love your child and will miss her but this time alone together will really help bond you. As you said, you have taken vacations with her and will do so in the future so it is not like you are neglecting her and the Grandparents with have some quality with her as well. Have an awesome cruise and remember to go for a moonlit dance up on the 12th deck in a secluded area and sing or hum your wedding dance together.

I also am so glad you came to this decision together. You will have a wonderful time, and the anticipation of coming home to your child is like nothing you've ever felt, it's a wonderful feeling. And yes, take her on the cruise when she is old enough to remember and have a great time. I took my daughter, now 11, on her first cruise when she was 8 (in 2006), and we've been very fortunate to do one every year since, she looks forward to that trip every year. She goes to the camp, meets new friends, and traveling with her 4 cousins doens't hurt either :). In my opinion, 4 is a great age to start taking them, they can do so much and can remember so much by looking back a pictures.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy each other !!

Archived