dress code for MDR

angel 77

I am wondering what is appropriate for hubby to wear to dinner in the MDR. This is first cruise with NCL and with freestyle cruising. Normally he would wear a dress shirt and pants, but we chose this cruise for it's short duration and for freestyle. Could he wear nice dress shorts and a collared shirt to dinner on some evenings? I understand that jean cut offs and a tank top would be off limits...;). We don't want to be as dressed up as we normally would, but we still want to dress appropriately for dinner.

Any advice?

I am wondering what is appropriate for hubby to wear to dinner in the MDR. This is first cruise with NCL and with freestyle cruising. Normally he would wear a dress shirt and pants, but we chose this cruise for it's short duration and for freestyle. Could he wear nice dress shorts and a collared shirt to dinner on some evenings? I understand that jean cut offs and a tank top would be off limits...;). We don't want to be as dressed up as we normally would, but we still want to dress appropriately for dinner.

Any advice?

I know others will jump in here and say not on their cruise BUT the dress code is no shorts in the MDR after 5 pm. There has been a ton of discussion on this very subject and it does get heated so if you do a search you will see all the varying opinions and policies that NCL is not following consistently on all their ships.

Any advice?

Collared shirts are fine but I would skip the shorts in the MDR. Tell him to wear comfortable slacks like Dockers or chinos for dinner and change into shorts afterward.

To the best of my knowledge, except for Bermuda shorts on a Bermuda cruise, shorts are not considered appropriate in the MDR for dinner. However comfy pants like dockers are perfectly fine. My husband usually wears a collared shirt and docker-style pants - never a problem.

When in doubt, go the their website. From the FAQ's:

Can I wear something casual to dinner?

Do people dress up at night?

Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.

When in doubt, go the their website. From the FAQ's:

Can I wear something casual to dinner?

Do people dress up at night?

Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.

The problem with their website is that it is not consistent... there are at least 3 places where it states No Dress Codes... so until they want to give a consistant message people will pick and choose what they want to read

Below is what I see at the Freestyle Cruising link posted above. I don't see the comment that "Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all." Although I do recall seeing the line about the shorts in the buffet somewhere previously. There are other places where dress is discussed on the website, so it's obviously not being discussed 100% consistently, plus the commercials give you a different impression too.

Freestyle Dining

We have no set dining times, dining partners or dress codes - up to 13 restaurants and dining rooms on every ship for cuisine to suit your every mood.

Click on the link for Freestyle Dining and:

Save the Tie for the Boardroom

Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

Here's what you're looking for Jame_g. This is from the FAQ section at NCL.com, under the "what should I pack" link.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#whatpack

Archived