Any recommendations on these ports?

unavox

• 2 months later...
Hutalco, Mexico

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Think hubby may have actually found a cruise where I don't leave him & go diving for the day!!!!:eek:

Thanks for your input!

Wow.. I can't believe nobody responded...

I dove in Hutalco Mexico back in 2005 on the Legend of the Seas.

Hutalco was nice enough.. kind of a small, unknown port.

The dive operator was very small. We went out in a modified row boat with a "ya-ma-ha" (as the operator pronounced it) outboard engine. The water was rough as hell, and visibility was only about 20 ft.

The only thing I really remember about this dive is that the dive master (Canadian) didn't seem to know where we were going and almost ran us up on some very large rocks just off shore. I (and another VERY experienced diver) were convinced that if he would have continued in that direction, we would have been slammed into the rocks for sure.

On a lighter note, the second dive was done in a somewhat protected cove. I can't remember, but I think there was a small wreck.

The boat wasn't large enough to stand up in, and the only entry permitted was to roll off the side backward. As for getting back in the boat, I remember having to take off my equipment, hand it up piece by piece, and muscle myself up into the boat.

There were only 3 of us on this excursion. Myself, and a man (from sweden) and his daughter.

OH! The funniest part of the whole story! :)

After I righted myself from the first entry, I noticed that my 1st stage was leaking. When I informed the dive master, he said "big bubbles, or little bubbles? We don't worry about the little bubbles." (Direct Quote) I told him, if you don't worry about it, you use the reg. (He ended up swapping me out).

(that story was a big part of me purchasing my own equipment)

That was my first Pacific dive. I think that they were just getting started as a cruise port, and hopefully have gotten better since then.

Good luck, I hope my little story helped! :)

Scott

Archived