Chukka Jamaican Dogsled Encounter

izzypooch

Has anyone booked this excursion through Royal Caribbean or gone to the Chukka Cove Farm on your own to take this tour? Trying to decide if it is worth the price although the excurision does also includes a trip to Dunns River Falls and lunch at Margaritaville.

I was just wondering about this excursion. (I'm all over the place with my thoughts on Jamaica. Who knows what we're actually going to end up doing!)

I see on the website that they don't book cruise passengers directly -- they say that you MUST go through the cruise line. I'm wondering about just not saying that we're cruise passengers. The price difference ($43 vs. $79) is rather large, especially when multipled x 6 people. We're not interested in a meal at Margaritaville (mediocre restaurant, which we can visit at home -- and we've already paid for a meal on the ship), so that doesn't factor in for us.

My husband really wants to go back to Dunn's River Falls, and I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to do that first thing, then "go to the dogs". I wouldn't do it the other way around; if we can't get to the Falls before the crowds, I don't see much point in going.

Last March my DH and I were on the Ruby Princess that stopped in Ocho Rois(this was our 7th time in Jamaica. We love Jamaica) we booked the Chukka Dog Sled tour they had two different tours available the more expensive one you get to go on a cart while the dogs pulled you. That is the tour we chose. The other tour you meet the dogs see where they live but you don't get the cart ride. If you love dogs like we do you will LOVE this tour. The tour takes you to the Chukka grounds where you meet the dogs you learn about how they taught these strays how to pull the cart and you meet the dogs. If you do the tour where you are pulled by the dogs you help to harness the dogs to the cart (2 people in the cart plus the driver) where you and your driver go for a FAST ride. When we did it in March there was only one tour (2 poeple) on the WHOLE ship that was able to do the cart pull beacuse Chukka tours only had one cart. Chukka was trying to get more carts to include more people. If you do decide to take the tour watch the documentary "Sundogs" it is a movie about the dogs and the people who take care of them. We met several of the dog "stars" from the movie while we were there. I still have such fond memories of our tour, the dogs and people there.

Archived