Galveston doesn't like Carnival

captswanson

Yesterday when the boat I work on came into Galveston to stand by for the hurricane, I mentioned how much I enjoyed the two times I had been on the Conquest. We were just passing the Conquest when I said that. The pilot told me Carnical is very hard to work with. They demand much more from the port than the other ships. I've been here a number of times and heard the Conquest bridge talking to the pilot station demanding service. They were told they would be there as soon as possible. That would do for the Conquest.

It's too bad things like this go on. I enjoyed both times I was on the Conquest and we were thinking about traveling over here to go on it again. I've enjoyed every cruise I've been on but I also enjoy working out of Galveston. They take care of us every time we come in.

I haven't written very much on the Carnival threads but I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say.

The Galveston Harbor Pilots are in contract negotiations. They want some huge increases for piloting fees. The shipping companies including Carnival are against the new fees.

http://www.joc.com/node/411409

The pilots now earn from $325,000 to $356,000 annually, depending on estimates from various sources.

According to the WGMA, the requested rate increase would increase Gal-Tex pilot fees for a Del Monte vessel calling the Port of Galveston from $2,554.39 to $3,374.45 as of June 1 and to $4,880.63 by June 1, 2013, a 91 percent increase over five years. Pilot costs for a Wallenius Wilhelmsen ro-ro vessel would increase from $3,858.07 to $7,018.54, or 81.92 percent, over the five year-period, and for a Carnival Cruise vessel such as the Carnival Conquest costs would jump from $8,827.95 to $15,995.63, or 81.19 percent.

I understand what you're saying, but earlier this year we spent one month here and I heard both Carnival ships giving the dipatcher a very hard time. There was a RCCL ships here also and I never heard them having the same problem.

I've read that before and I don't believe that is the problem. I talk to the pilots all the time and this seems to be a different issue. When there is a problem such as yesterday with the weather and many ships need a pilot as soon as possible I've only heard the Carnival ships giving the pilot station a hard time.

Yesterday when the boat I work on came into Galveston to stand by for the hurricane, I mentioned how much I enjoyed the two times I had been on the Conquest. We were just passing the Conquest when I said that. The pilot told me Carnical is very hard to work with. They demand much more from the port than the other ships. I've been here a number of times and heard the Conquest bridge talking to the pilot station demanding service. They were told they would be there as soon as possible. That would do for the Conquest.

It's too bad things like this go on. I enjoyed both times I was on the Conquest and we were thinking about traveling over here to go on it again. I've enjoyed every cruise I've been on but I also enjoy working out of Galveston. They take care of us every time we come in.

I haven't written very much on the Carnival threads but I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say.

Did the pilot happen to mention that they are requesting 35% increase in pay or that they demand that TWO pilots be used on board every cruise ship that enters or sails from the harbor?

I'd probably be hard to work with if folks were trying to rob me blind, too...

:rolleyes:

I doupt if the city or port of Galveston really feels that way. Carnival brings a boat load of money in to the city each and every week. Sounds like maybe the pilot had a personal problem.

I TOTALLY agree with you. Carnival is the best thing that ever happened to Carnival. :D

I doupt if the city or port of Galveston really feels that way. Carnival brings a boat load of money in to the city each and every week. Sounds like maybe the pilot had a personal problem.

I TOTALLY agree with you. Carnival is the best thing that ever happened to Galveston. :D

Sounds like some pilots are wanting to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

As far as the ship...."the ship" has never been "demanding"... the Captain may have been..but since the Captains all rotate to different ships..........

it would have been more about the personality of the Captain...than anything else.

I would imagine some Captains are harder to deal with than others....and that would be on ANY cruise line.

Archived