Cruising Solo?

Why don't you wait until you are onboard? You will immediately receive an invitation to a cocktail party to meet the other solos on board. You will also receive an invitation each day to meet (if you wish) at a specified lounge each evening so you can chat, dance, go to dinner, whatever. You will always have the opportunity to be with other solos or alone - there is no pressure to join in. Some attend all the time, some occasionally and others not at all. This group is hosted by the dance hosts and the social director. Enjoy - I did.

Why don't you wait until you are onboard? You will immediately receive an invitation to a cocktail party to meet the other solos on board. You will also receive an invitation each day to meet (if you wish) at a specified lounge each evening so you can chat, dance, go to dinner, whatever. You will always have the opportunity to be with other solos or alone - there is no pressure to join in. Some attend all the time, some occasionally and others not at all. This group is hosted by the dance hosts and the social director. Enjoy - I did.

Thanks, Threechicks. When I sailed solo on the Paul Gauguin in December 2006, I did not receive invitations to any cocktail parties for other solo-sailers. Perhaps it was because it's a much smaller ship than the Mariner?

tlc, You will also find events listed in the Daily Passage addressed to solo cruisers, like a special table at breakfast and cocktails in a certain lounge. Many times those who meet for cocktails get a table together at dinner. Hope this helps and have a wonderful cruise. I will be on the Navigator next year doing this cruise. So do send us some reports of your adventures!

TLC: I have never sailed on the PQ so can't speak for that ship. However, the other three all have solo programs. I was on the Mariner for two segments of the Asian tour last fall - Hong Kong to Sydney - and we had four dance hosts plus the social director planning events daily. There were approx 20 attendees every night. Some evenings dinner tables were hosted by entertainers from the ship. I want to emphasize that you can go one evening and not go another. There is absolutely no pressure to show up. Some solos strike up friendships and decide to have dinner on their own. Also during the day you may strike up a friendship with a couple and decide to join them, rather than the group, for dinner. It is a very relaxed and easy situation. There was a big table in Verandah for breakfast that you could join or not join. I always travel solo and have a wonderful time. I am booked on the Navigator for January 23 in the Caribbean and am looking forward to joining the group. It will be a smaller group with just two dance hosts. Regent only puts on four hosts when the cruise segment is part of a world cruise or special Asian or Latin America tour. One other thing - don't worry if you don't dance. The important part is the social get together for good company and conversation. You will have a wonderful time on your cruise. I hope that your social director is Elsa McLean. She is fabulous.

TLC: I have never sailed on the PQ so can't speak for that ship. However, the other three all have solo programs. I was on the Mariner for two segments of the Asian tour last fall - Hong Kong to Sydney - and we had four dance hosts plus the social director planning events daily. There were approx 20 attendees every night. Some evenings dinner tables were hosted by entertainers from the ship. I want to emphasize that you can go one evening and not go another. There is absolutely no pressure to show up. Some solos strike up friendships and decide to have dinner on their own. Also during the day you may strike up a friendship with a couple and decide to join them, rather than the group, for dinner. It is a very relaxed and easy situation. There was a big table in Verandah for breakfast that you could join or not join. I always travel solo and have a wonderful time. I am booked on the Navigator for January 23 in the Caribbean and am looking forward to joining the group. It will be a smaller group with just two dance hosts. Regent only puts on four hosts when the cruise segment is part of a world cruise or special Asian or Latin America tour. One other thing - don't worry if you don't dance. The important part is the social get together for good company and conversation. You will have a wonderful time on your cruise. I hope that your social director is Elsa McLean. She is fabulous.

It's too bad that you won't be on the Syd-Auck cruise and I won't be on the January 23 cruise. While I certainly don't mind joining couples, I don't want to feel like a fifth wheel or tag-along. No matter, I plan to have a great time and will look for Elsa McLean. :)

Archived