Diving Maui in February 2010 - Need Recommendations.

dkmccarthy

I'll be staying in the Ka'anapali, Lahaina area and I am looking for recommendations on who to dive with and dive sights. I've read a lot positive things about Ed Robinsons, B&B Scuba but they are out of Kihea and it is about 50 minutes from where I'm staying. I Plan on utilizing one of them for the Molikini Crater Backwall dive. Also, I am trying to decide between Extended Horizons, Lahaina Divers, and Hawaiian Rafting Adventures for my dives to Lanai and possibly Molokai. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've been out with Ed Robinsons aka ERD a few years ago. They are a good op, but the diving there is in the early AM before the trades begin to blow. So with the drive to Kihei it's a very early morning. Locally I'd choose Extended Horizons though I've not been out with them. Another option to get a dive in is the Black Rock at the Sheraton(last hotel on the long Kaanapali beach to the Northwest). Decent shallow shore dive.

Have fun

Rich

I have dove with Ed and B&B as well.

B&B leaves @ dawn from Kehei and is a short trip to back wall. Good Op.

I dove cathedrals 1 & 2 with Ed , another must do in Maui.

Personally I would do black rock with experianced locals @ night , what a blast , we saw HUGE eels and even rays above us.

Try scubaboard.com and check the Maui section.

I was just in Maui this year - not on a cruise. We stayed in Wailea but made the drive up to dive with Hawaiian Rafting Adventures for our Lanai dives based on recommendations from the dive matrix boards. They have a fast raft and there were only 4 of us diving. We had a great time diving 2nd Cathedral and another site. Very friendly, top notch crew. Would definitely use them again. We were planning on dives out of Kihei as well and looked into Ed Robinson's but were travelling with non-divers so we did a snorkel tour with blue water rafting (really fun as well by the way). Kihei operators in general leave very early so it's probably not too convenient for you to make the drive.

We dove with Lahaina Divers last June. Wonderful group. We had a snorkeler with us (grandma) and they bent over backwards to accommodate her fear of water. Probably better that she wasn't able to work the mask, because there were a bunch of white tipped reef sharks just below her!(Molokini Crater). We also stayed at the Aaston Kaanapali, Lahaina was an easy drive. If you go with Lahaina Divers, they have ample parking just past their store (decent parking lot that's empty at that time of the morning). We actually stopped on our way out of town to give them a bottle of wine. Would definitely dive with them again!!

• 1 month later...

We dove with Lahaina divers and the are great. Equipment is top shelf and they are very safe. They have the people to help a new diver while giving the experienced divers a good dive. They always did what would make the best dive, changing things up a little if it would make a better dive. We cahnged one dive to a drift dive when we heard whales in the area, so we could possibly see them up close and personal. They know the good spots too; we saw whales, sharks and dolphins all in the same dive!

Archived