Snorkeling in Zihua./Ixtapa and Manzanillo

konatyme

I did a search for this on this forum & only came up with some very old posts & not much info. We'll be going on the Spirit 3/3/10 and love to snorkel. We've snorkeled in the South Pacific, Hawaii, & Australia and would like to snorkel on this cruise if there's any good snorkeling at any of these places. We'd prefer to be able to snorkel off a beach on our own, but could certainly take a boat trip if we knew where to go. I read in some posts in another forum that snorkeling isn't very good in this part of Mexico. True? If so, maybe we'd be better off doing something else in these ports. Please let me know your opinion/recommendations. Thanks a bunch!

I did a search for this on this forum & only came up with some very old posts & not much info. We'll be going on the Spirit 3/3/10 and love to snorkel. We've snorkeled in the South Pacific, Hawaii, & Australia and would like to snorkel on this cruise if there's any good snorkeling at any of these places. We'd prefer to be able to snorkel off a beach on our own, but could certainly take a boat trip if we knew where to go. I read in some posts in another forum that snorkeling isn't very good in this part of Mexico. True? If so, maybe we'd be better off doing something else in these ports. Please let me know your opinion/recommendations. Thanks a bunch!

I've snorkeled all the places you mentioned and this area of Mexico can't match them, but it is still great beach time. It wouldn't be a great snorkel day compared to what you have done before, but one of my favorite beach days is at Otilia's on Playa de Gatos at Zihua. If you are a strong snorkeler you would want to snorkel around the rock area near where the panga lets you off. (you buy a ticket -@ $3/30P - just to the right when you get off the dock from your cruise ship and then go back onto the dock for a short distance to get on the panga.)

We go down the beach, nearly to the end, to the red umbrellas and find Franco, the beach manager and be greeted like lifelong friends he has met for the first time. A pina colada for breakfast, rent some fins and have a gentle snorkel watching the schools of baby-sized fish, shrimp tacos for snack with a Patron margarita to chase it down, a stroll down the beach for a great massage, another margarita, total the bill (we usually run it up to $50- 60, but $10 is the pina colanda - see my avatar on tripadvisor.com) return to the panga and show them the stub for the return. A short trip later and there is time to stroll the town and return to the ship.

If you will go to the Mexico board you will find a lot of info and photos.

Probably the best in the Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo area would be on Isla Ixtapa, a small island just off shore of Ixtapa. Snorkeled there several years ago - disappointing compared to Hawaii, Caribbean, South Pacific and other parts of Mexico (Cozumel & even Cabo San Lucas). At the time we went, it was a $3.00 boat ride to/from the island which had a bar/restaurant and water activities.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me be honest here, if you have snorkeled much in the Caribbean I highly recommend you just make it a beach day here. I was just there in October and the snorkeling was not worth taking my equipment on the ship however the beach time was nice. The water just is not that clear compared to Cozumel, Grand Cayman or St. Johns.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree the snorkeling isn't a great as Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, etc. But if you really enjoy snorkeling I don't think that's a reason to just sit on the beach. Snorkel gear doesn't take up that much space (and I have full size flippers).

We went to Ixtapa Island a few weeks ago. There were many different types of fish. Coral isn't much to look at. But I could go out and stay out as long as I wanted which I like. There are several restaurants there and the food we had was good. Bathrooms leave a bit to be desired, but we managed.

Definitely, not the best snorkeling in the world, but we had an enjoyable trip out there nonetheless.

We enjoyed snorkeling around the rocks at Playa las Gatas. Visibility is not like the Caribbean, but it is shallow so you can still see plenty well. There were plenty of fish and a couple of eels. I have not been to Isla Ixtapa so I can't compare but it is a lot easier to get to las Gatas beach.

Archived