Passing the time

Pebbles1967

We're not cruising for a good 8 months yet but the kids (OK, me too!) are so excited it's consuming their little minds.

I was wondering what everyone's doing to pass the time. Anyone have anything special they're doing for the kids? Countdown calendars maybe?

Also is there a good way of saving for the trip? I think I read somebody wrote about Disney Dollars? How does that work?

Pebs

I would be bouncing off the walls too. It looks like you are doing a med cruise. Maybe the kids could "research" the ports of call. One for each month until the cruise (depending how many ports vs how many months). They could search images online, find out historical facts, search for and try foods/recipes from the ports. Maybe they could try to find a penpal/email pal from the coutries you will be visiting. Or they could try to learn some of the languages for the ports you will be visiting.

I did a quick google for penpal sites. This one looked nice without the "dating" catagory. I would do a little research on the sites just to be sure they are safe.

InternationalPenpals.net allows you to search through an online database of penpals from around the World for free.

To find a new penpal friend, you can send email to people listed in our database, add your own penpal profile to InternationalPenpals.net, send instant messages to other penpals who are online, and chat online with other penpal seekers in our online chat room, all for free.

I think the kids would get a kick out of this. My daughter is only 6, but when she has better reading/writing skills we might just do this for fun. I think it would be a great way to learn about different cultures.

Oh you're a star! I'm going to check it out right now! My sons that will be travelling with us will be 6 and 8. The would love exchanging real letters to a penpal. I remember doing it as a kid but now everything's email isnt it.

Thanks so much for the info. Going there now...

pebs x

It's a Disney visa card. $1 earned for every $100 charged. If you pay your card off every month, it's a good deal. You then redeem your dollars about 20 days in advance of your cruise date. Just charge everything as long as you pay the full balance off each month. Good luck, and the anticipation you are experiancing is not unusual. Google in Disney Magic pics, and you'll see literally thousands of pics. metrowon

Just thought I'd post something silly I just discovered today. Most of you probably new but there's a popular social network which I won't name entirely (FB) where you can change your language to Pirate English. It's so funny. I changed my profile to Pirate English as did my son. It's helping us get into the cruising spirit!

Also, checked out a few other sites and got some great ideas for stateroom door decorations!

Pebs

Hey Pebs another idea for the kids is a count down chain. Use construction paper, all different colors and cut strips and then glue them into circles and link them as a chain.

we often got disney stickers to decorate some of the days.

Remember to put the numbers of days until you cruise on each link, then link them counting down to the cruise.

We often did some special decoration on dates that were people birthdays or Mickey's or Donalds birthdays etc..

Plus when it gets closer to the cruise date we have a link that says make door signs, or decide on excursions, time to pack the clothes etc,... So they had certain days to do projects prior to the cruise.

Its fun to secretly add something like have a pirate dinner on a weekend and the kids help make the foods as well as eat them.

Or have a Disney movie night with cruise themed snacks.

The chain can be quite long and usually wraps around the living room or down the hallway. Each morning one kid can remove one link and announce how many days it says. Rotate days so everyone gets to remove the links.

That worked great for the grandkds for us. They loved making and decorating the chain and then those added surprises really were fun.

Also be sure and join a roll call thread for your cruise. As you get aquainted you will find kids the same ages as your kids and they can start e-mailing each other with your help to get aquainted before the cruise. That way they have a friend waiting for them when they board the ship.

Our grandkids still e-mail kids from 3 years ago from all over the world.

Have fun,

Kathy

Thanks for the FAB ideas! I love the chain idea!

Also my son has a birthday on 28 Dec. Since so close to xmas usually lack for a good ideas. Maybe a pirate party! :D

Also, totally off topic... (I don't want to start a new thread)

Can you tell me if the stateroom hosts/hostesses make up the sofa bed at night?

Cheers!

Pebs

Oh also Mom/Grandma....

I joined the Roll Call board for my cruise. There's two other ladies that posted but that was about it. Looks like we'll have the entire ship to ourselves! :D

Dont be discouraged, many don't join until a couple of months prior to the cruise. Although having the ship to yourself might have some advantages:rolleyes:

I saw the above poster answered your question, but yes they do make up all the beds and put the couch back while your at breakfast in the morning. you dont have to lift a finger. your on vacation!!

Besides a pirate party you can do a beach party or tropical party theme too. Lots of party stores carry cheap paper decorations all year around. Dice up some tropical fruits, do the limbo, have tropical themed music playing in the background, maybe cook some Kabobs and make some virgin fruit punch drinks for the kiddos with those little umbrellas in them?

Lots of finger foods work great.

One thing our grandkids love for food at the pirate party was turkey legs. They are huge for kids and they grab them and eat them right off the bone like a pirate would. Most major stores carry them all year around but you can always order them from the meat dept ahead of time to make sure you have them. Maybe have a pirate scavenger hunt after dinner. Some chocolate gold foil wrapped coins (for dessert), maybe a pirate treasure map of the ship with X on your stateroom. Plenty of trinkets in the party stores to get and hide for them to find.

Let your imagination go wild and have fun.

Kathy

Cheers DJPolly and Mom/Grandma for all the info.

Mom/Gran... you have so many wonderful ideas! Will you by my kids grandma? :o My kids never had a grandmother (story for a whole new board!) and I feel they're missing out on so much. My grandmother was so very special. Sounds like you are too. :)

I'm going ot speak to my son today about a pirate or tropical party. We had one for one of my elder sons about 4 years ago and had such a great time. I still have most the props and decorations.

pebs x

Archived