Coeliac/celiac on cruise! P&O Ventura

purplecatherine

Hi there.

I'm a coeliac and therefore have to eat food that doesn't contain or been contaminated with gluten, wheat or barley.

My travel agent has informed the cruise line and all should be OK but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of cruising with coeliac disease? I would really appreciate any tips anyone might have.

Also, I'm a little concerned about eating off-ship whilst in port. I know I can always go back to the ship for lunch, but that might always be convenient when going on an excursion etc. I fully expect that English will be well spoken in-port, but to the degree of 'gluten free'????

Any info greatly received.

Cheers.

PC:o

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there.

I'm a coeliac and therefore have to eat food that doesn't contain or been contaminated with gluten, wheat or barley.

My travel agent has informed the cruise line and all should be OK but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of cruising with coeliac disease? I would really appreciate any tips anyone might have.

Also, I'm a little concerned about eating off-ship whilst in port. I know I can always go back to the ship for lunch, but that might always be convenient when going on an excursion etc. I fully expect that English will be well spoken in-port, but to the degree of 'gluten free'????

Any info greatly received.

Cheers.,

PC:o

Yipes, CC ate my first response. Take your pre-packaged snacks along off ship as backup, but do try to try the local foods - lobster and grilled fish, salads, fruit, beans. You should do well.

At the top of the Foodie page - click on search and type in "gluten."

Several of us have posted our experiences on different ships and the things we have learned over the years. (Did you know Grey Goose vodka is made from wheat, not potatoes?)

If a ship would normally have Budweiser, then ask them - @2 mo ahead- if they can bring on some Redbridge beer for you. It isn't just gluten free, it is really good.

Be careful about the house champagne. Some of the value brands have malt added.

You probably already know about soy sauce being a big no-no. Same with Nestles hot chocolate.

I'll watch for your thread, so just ask any more questions after you catch up on some of the other threads. I'll be glad to answer general questions, just can't help you on P&O.

Archived