The train...kinda like a cruise on tracks.

catmand

Well not even close but fun non the less. Will be leaving in a few hours, taking Amtrak from Martinez Caifornia up to Portland, Oregon then thru Glacier National Park, the Dakotas, into Minnesota, down to Chicago and then onto a comuter milk run to Birmingham, Michigan. All this in just over 72 hours. Will have the standard sleeper on both the Coast Starlight and The Empire Builder to Chicago.

When I first started to post here and was still pretty intimidated by all you "regulars" I read a post by the anti-smoking person that actually was very good. It was something like "When you can't cruise, take a train" and remarked on what you could do onboard to make it seem like a ships cruise! I am not going to suggest Amtrak (even first class) is anything like a cruise but will venture a guess that The American Orient Express at close to $500.00 a day may be a good way to go. (see their web site)

So I am "hitting the road"....will miss all of you and will try to say hi when/if I can get some computer time while in Michigan. Will return May 1st. AkaWanda my BH (better half) will be guarding the cats and the fort while I am gone. So TTFN and remember, the train is kinda like a cruise ship except it isn't and it goes on tracks.......keep watching a toilet near you, the LIGHT may strike agian.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

Catmand,

Reminds me of the last train ride I had from Havre, Montana to Chicago, Pittsburg, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and Montgomery in 1963. We have been thinking about an Amtrak down the road.

Have a great time and tell us all about it. If no one wants to hear about it except me, I'll give you my email address.

Yanceycruiser

Dreamward 1/95

Norway 1/97

Grandeur of the Seas 1/99

Grand Princess 2/01

Carnival Pride 2/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;08;22;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until the Infinity on

August 22, 2004

Catmand,

We watched a special about the American Orient Express which travels to about 7 national parks in its run. It looked interesting, and fun, but the cost was REALLY expensive when compared to a cruise ... and since we love crusing the seas, I don't think cruising by track will happen too soon. Do enjoy your trip though! icon_smile.gif

High Seas Gal

Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

If we are comparing trains to cruising I guess Easycruise is the equivilent of the New York City subway system....

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

A few years ago, I was a contestant on Jeopardy. I won a R/T on the Coast Starlight as a consolation prize, the day I lost. We had a fabulous time. The food was surprisingly good, and it was very relaxing. Still, I'd take a cruise, instead, any day.

Archived