Beach vs. Turtle swim-Help!!

sunlover2

So much to do and never enough time. Really thought we wanted to swim with the turtles but keep reading about all these beautiful beaches in Barbados!! Is swimming with the turtles worth it or is it hokey? We swam with the sting rays in Grand Cayman and thought it was a cool experience. Please help me decide so confused :confused:

So much to do and never enough time. Really thought we wanted to swim with the turtles but keep reading about all these beautiful beaches in Barbados!! Is swimming with the turtles worth it or is it hokey? We swam with the sting rays in Grand Cayman and thought it was a cool experience. Please help me decide so confused :confused:

My husband and I are planning to do both. A 3 hr. snorkel tour with the turtles from 10:00-1:00 and then get dropped off at the boatyard to go to the beach there or to Lobster Alive beach next door for some food, drinks & beach time.

Well, I don't regret doing a turtle excursion (used Silver Moon) but unfortunately for us the water was very murky our day (about 2 weeks ago). So it's not the same experience as the Stingrays, which were everywhere and so easy to see. In the murky water, you couldn't see the turtles until they were right in front of you, and they were not as plentiful. So I'd say go, but go with lower expectations. It's amazing to see them and touch them, for sure. And I've seen some gorgeous photos where the water was crystal clear, so it seems to be luck of the draw. The weather was beautiful our day so I have no idea why the water was like that. :( Silver Moon doesn't dock close to the beach but other operators do. Our dinner companions did the Celebrity version of the same excursion and it was on a Tiami vessel. They went right to the beach and were very happy with their day.

LOVED the turtles! We took a catamaran excursion that was amazing. Swam with the turtles for a bit, then they took us to a beach. It was one of our favorite days on our 2 week cruise. The water was very clear for us.

Others from our cruise took a taxi to the beach where the turtles are, Hung out at the Beach, then swam out (or rented ski do's as it is a bit of a swim) to see the turtles.

Get in a cab and ask to be taken to The Blue Monkey. It is a beach bar tucked among a few boutique hotels not too far from the ship. We were not expecting much when we asked a cab driver to take us to a beach to hang out. While it is a bit crowded, we felt comfortable declining to rent chairs and lay on our towels. The fun began when we discovered that tour operators were pulling up about 40 yards off the beach to swim with the turtles. We got our snorkel gear and enjoyed swimming with a couple of turtles while the tours were getting back in the boat. Our cab driver told us on the way back to the shipthat the same turtles hang out at this beach because they are fed so regularly. I would say that if you don't need lots of turtles, this is an economical way to enjoy swimming with these majestic creatures. Have fun!

LOVED the turtles! We took a catamaran excursion that was amazing. Swam with the turtles for a bit, then they took us to a beach. It was one of our favorite days on our 2 week cruise. The water was very clear for us.

Others from our cruise took a taxi to the beach where the turtles are, Hung out at the Beach, then swam out (or rented ski do's as it is a bit of a swim) to see the turtles.

Do you know what beach the others took a taxi to where the turtles are and renting ski-doo is possible? My DH and DS want to swim with the turtles and snorkel while I, along with DS's girlfriend, would like to just enjoy a beautiful beach. Also, do you know if this beach rents chairs and umbrellas and has a restaurant/bar? Thanks for any help. I will definitely appreciate any input.

Do you know what beach the others took a taxi to where the turtles are and renting ski-doo is possible? My DH and DS want to swim with the turtles and snorkel while I, along with DS's girlfriend, would like to just enjoy a beautiful beach. Also, do you know if this beach rents chairs and umbrellas and has a restaurant/bar? Thanks for any help. I will definitely appreciate any input.

Sorry, no clue. It may have been called Turltle Beach, but I am not sure...you could ask the guys offering tours at port. That is what the other on my cruise did and they found it and the sea doo's

We travel with our own snorkel equipment and took a taxi to Paynes Bay, which has a beautiful beach, chairs for rent, a small bar,and lots of guys with jet ski rentals and boat excursions much cheaper than on the ship. After a few hours the tour boats anchored not to far off the beach. We swam out and were able to swim with the turtles as the guides fed them. A short walk up the beach is the Sandy Lane Hotel, one of the premier hotels on the island. It's a pretty area. The local taxi drivers will pick you up where they drop you off at an agreed upon time. The whole thing cost about $30 round trip plus $15 for two chairs and an umbrella.

IMG_1847.jpg.8b3c55be9d555b18d9188bba278564b7.jpg

We travel with our own snorkel equipment and took a taxi to Paynes Bay, which has a beautiful beach, chairs for rent, a small bar,and lots of guys with jet ski rentals and boat excursions much cheaper than on the ship. After a few hours the tour boats anchored not to far off the beach. We swam out and were able to swim with the turtles as the guides fed them. A short walk up the beach is the Sandy Lane Hotel, one of the premier hotels on the island. It's a pretty area. The local taxi drivers will pick you up where they drop you off at an agreed upon time. The whole thing cost about $30 round trip plus $15 for two chairs and an umbrella.

So can I assume the taxi fare for a family of 4 to paynes is $30 round trip?

thanks

• 2 months later...

Archived