CB-duty free

robgvic

Someone mentioned here that there was a duty free in San Juan dockside. Has anyone used it? Seems very convenient for boarding the ship. We want to get some wine, champagne and soda pop. IS this a good place to get it or where do you recommend we get it.

I don't recall much about their wine selections but they have agreat choice in liquor. And it isn't charged against your DF allowance as it is considered purchased in the US by customs. We bought 6 bottles there and received a few 375's as premiun and a nice roll on and the bottles were put in plastic blow ups so they didn't break. I think all of this is incl. if you spend $100 or more. Then you still can buy 5-6 bottle pp in St. Thomas or 2 + in St. Martin or other island. Then of course if you fly you'll pay a lot for the extra bag. They will hold your bagged/boxed purchase until end of cruise. I took the 375's on board in carry on for cabin use.

I can tell you that we purchased two bottles of Jacob's Creek Chardonnay at the San Juan Duty Free for $9.99 per bottle. Their prices on champagne were not that great and actually many of the other wines did seem to be a bit high. Liquor was a bargain (perhaps not the single malt scotches), and they do have water by the case and six packs of typical mixer-type soda. It is very convenient, and you can actually go check in and get settled in your cabin and then dash back out before the ship sails (if like us, you don't sail until late, you have plenty of time), or make two trips for easier carrying. There were Princess reps in the DF shop, but people were still purchasing liquor and carrying it on. :)

Archived