The Real Texas on the Grand

doliver

On my upcomming Grand cruise, I have noticed from the roll call post that most cruisers seem to residents of TEXAS. While I don't live there, I did live in Texas for awhile in college. Also, I have enough friends, family and clients in Texas to take me there several times per year. With this in mind, I think I am qualified to post on this subject. If Princess intends to fill up its ships year after year with Texans, if is going to need some modifications. When I say Texans, I don't necessarily mean those people living in a downtown loft apartment in Austin. I mean the real Texans. I sincerely mean those real live people who were born into or adopted by choice one of the greatest civilizations ever known to man. I am offering only a limited number of suggestions. If you think of any additional ones, please add them to the list.

1. The Grand Princess needs a Dairy Queen and a WalMart. How you can expect someone to go seven days without a "Blizzard" is beyond me. And WalMart...it's the town square of the 2000's. If contractural issues were a problem a WhatABurger and a swap meet would do.

2. "Always available menu" should include Chicken Fried Steak and BBQ. It seems like the least they could do if they aren't going to have bisquits.

3. You need to somehow be able to take your own truck along. Belieze would be a much more interesting port if you could tour it in your own F-150 extended cab pickup.

4. Is it asking too much to have a Friday night high school football game that could be watched? We could have it on another night and teach locals to play. Why do the Mexicans pour across our border...I have no real evidence to prove this, but I think it's because they are tired of soccer and want real football.

5. Get some real music on board! Could we possibly find someone who wears a hat while they sing? Jazz was only invented bacause the band didn't have a steel guitar player.

Perhaps you have more suggestions. I think this forum could help Princess learn to cruise Texas style.

Sorry bit I don't agree with you. I have lived here in Texas my whole life and don't live in a downtown apartment. Yes I like Friday night footbal but don't need it to survive if I'm on a cruise. I also love Dairy Queen BUT maybe get a blizzard or anything there maybe twice a year. I don't want Dairy Queen on a cruise I want something different. Something I can't get back here at home. I don't drive a truck. and Don't shop at Wal Mart.

prophotogirl - I really think doliver is a Texan at heart and only meant the post for fun - kinda tongue in cheek. ;) We Texans have always been able to laugh at ourselves and at the way many "outsiders" imagine us to be.

Our 2003 family reunion cruise out of Florida on the Navigator had lots of rude folks - from wherever. First choice for most of us was to NOT cruise out of FL again. All my Yankee relatives thoroughly enjoyed cruising with so many Texas folks on the Grand out of Galveston for 2004.

I actually think chicken fried steak and BBQ would be kinda good to be added to the always available menu. :D

I am an honoray Tex-un, and I have to say get that chicken fried steak on the always available menu ASAP!!! I may be a yankee, but I sure do love Take-sis! But, please, forget the dairy queen - we have them up north too - they are not that special!

New Carpet, Appliances, and Fence - 2004

Cruise Cat - :D Oh my.....the choices we have to make :D

We need new front door, new furniture, new carpet, new paint etc..... but we already have two scheduled for this year and one for 2006. I guess we'll get the rest of that stuff one of these days - when we can develop a little more self-control. ;)

Perhaps you have more suggestions. I think this forum could help Princess learn to cruise Texas style.

Their Texas French (freedom) toast is the best and if you need a swap meet atmosphere go to the last day gold by the inch sale. :D

Archived