Review: Liberty West Carrib 11-21/11-28

5-to-cruise

I loved your writing and the photos were some of the best I remember from the various reviews posted on CC.

We'll be on the Liberty in 80 days!

Thank you on both accounts!

Enjoy your cruise in 80 days. You should be ready for warmer weather by then.

I'm about ready now.

rv

• 2 weeks later...

5-to cruise

I read that you did the Ocho Rios tubing excursion. What was that like? Can you give me a little more detail on that. Worth it ? I am thinking about doing that with my wife and two sons (9 and 17). I like how you added your likes/dislikes, what would they be for this tubing thing?

Thanks

Hi!

Did you read the part I wrote up about the river tubing? Looks like it starts on page 7.

Likes and Dislikes:

Liked:

1. The tubing. I nice mix of some bumpy water (nothing too crazy though) and some calm parts.

2. The stop to swing and jump in the water.

3. The river. It was shallow but the water was amazingly clear.

Disliked:

1. On the drive up you see parts of Jamaica that are definatly off the beaten path.

2. Getting 'scammed' by our guide making a sympathy bid by telling us we would be his only group for the day. Someone else on this thread reconized his picture as THEIR guide and he told them the same thing.

3. It was a bit of a short trip. Would have been nice if the rafting was a little longer. Having the stop in the middle to jump and play makes it seem longer.

Was it worth it? Over all I'd say 'yes' because we were on vacation and had the money to spend. If I understood Peat right we paid $20 per person for the tubing. Plus the tip at the end for our guide. It was fun. Sherry liked it more then the Dunn Falls climb and the kids had a lot of fun jumping into the river. I'd say 'yes'.

rv

Yep, outside of Carnival via Peat Taylor tours.

Looks like he doesn't have only the river tubing but the combo with Dunn Falls is $50 per adult and $45 per kid. The way I think that works is $15 for the ticket for the Falls, $20 for the ticket for the river and the rest to Peat.

http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:dunns-river-falls-a-white-river-tubing&catid=35:tours&Itemid=56

rv

Kids asking me last minute ... it is OK to wear decent shorts & shirt in the dining room on regular nights right? Also - any difference in service between the 2 dining rooms (we have anytime dining lined up) that you heard of? Couple more days til we sail .....

Have a great cruise!

The shorts thing is a tough question. I think you COULD. We didn't. In general I'd say dress like you were going to a nice place for dinner.

As far as I know there is no difference in service between the dinning rooms. I think it would more depend on who you got as your server then which dinning room you were in.

rv

Thanks for a great review, I've told several about your review on our roll call so hopefully they can find it and read it!!

Nice! The more people that read it (and enjoy it) the more it makes the work in putting it together worth while. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

rv

5-to-cruise

Did you see any whole familes dressed in tuxes on formal nights?

I was thinking about renting 3 tuxes for me and my boys (17 and 9). They really don't care if they have to put on a suit jacket or a tux. I just don't want them to be the only kids with one on and feel a little out of place. I don't care if I'm out of place, but I know they will.

I thought it would make some great photos with my wife and all three of the men tuxes.

I'm staring to feel like Clark Griswold :D and want the "perfert family vacation".

Wouldn't that be a great movie "National Lampoon's Cruise Vacation" I'm sure everyone on this board could come up with funny situations for Clark and his family.:D:D

5-to-cruise

Did you see any whole familes dressed in tuxes on formal nights?

I was thinking about renting 3 tuxes for me and my boys (17 and 9). They really don't care if they have to put on a suit jacket or a tux. I just don't want them to be the only kids with one on and feel a little out of place. I don't care if I'm out of place, but I know they will.

I thought it would make some great photos with my wife and all three of the men tuxes.

I'm staring to feel like Clark Griswold :D and want the "perfert family vacation".

Wouldn't that be a great movie "National Lampoon's Cruise Vacation" I'm sure everyone on this board could come up with funny situations for Clark and his family.:D:D

You know I didn't look around much at the other tables. I THINK I saw a family all in tuxes getting a photo taken on deck 5 one of the formal nights. I'd say go for it, you won't be out of place and you'd regret missing the chance when you got back.

rv

• 1 month later...

On our past two cruises my husband and I went "all out" on the formal nights. He wore a tux and I wore very formal evening gowns. It was fun to see that there were several others in the dining room who did the same.

We actually traveled both times with a VERY large group of family (approx 40 people) and everyone in our group wore tuxes and evening gowns too.

My thought is, why not? How many times do you get to really go all out and dress up in life? Have fun with it and ENJOY! :)

No, no time travel involved. Creating this as a placeholder/commitment to doing the review. Plus to get some pre-cruise info out there (like what our plans are and we can see how well they matched up with reality) and to practice getting pictures out here.

Background: Wife and I are in the mid40's. We've taking one cruise together 15 or so years ago on Carnival and enjoyed it. This time we're going with kids. I expect it will be a different experience. :) Kids are 13, 10 and 9 (girl, boy, boy).

Since this is over Thanksgiving we let our family know we were doing this and welcomed any and all that wanted to join us. To our surprise many did so we're going with a group. Not sure how that's all going to work in with ports and such as there is a large age difference between our kids and our parents but I'm not going to worry about it.

We've had a nice Roll-Call going and I'm looking forward to meeting them and letting our kids meet.

The PLAN:

We were originally going to fly down and back until we realized we'd be trying to fly back the weekend after Thanksgiving. Prices went from $60 per person going down to $300 per person coming back. Ouch. I crunched some numbers looking at different options and came to the conclusion that we'd save about $1,000 by driving down. Basically trading time for money. Money is more dear to us right now so driving down it is.

We'll be heading out at 5 am from Chicago tomorrow. I hope to make it to Macon GA by 8pm or so. Then find a hotel, spend the night and up in the morning to head to Miami. Hope to get there by 3-4 pm on Friday. Spend the night in the same hotel with family (the Holiday Inn right by the port). Then off to the ship in the morning!

Cozumel: Spend the day at Paradise Beach. Back to town for shopping and dinner late in the day.

Cayman: Swimming with the stingray with Red Stripe.

Jamaica: Dunn Falls with Peat Taylor.

Then a 2-3 day drive back to Chicago.

Pictures. I have a decent camera and bought an underwater case for it. I have 2 8 gig cards so can take at least 3000 pictures at max quality.

Lets see about getting pictures attached here...

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

If you want a picture of something off the Liberty or one of the Islands let me know and I'll try to get it.

Is that camera case for a point and shoot camera or a DSLR and does it work well? I have thought about getting one but am nervous about water leaking into my camera.

Point and shoot. Cannon Power Shot A650 IS.

It worked very well. No water leaked in. The only 'problem' was having to worry about water beading the on the front where it would show up in the pictures. I have some pictures like that.

As you can tell from the pictures (if you made it all the way though :) ) I used it a lot.

rv

• 1 month later...

I am late getting to read your review. I really enjoyed it. We will be on the Liberty Aug 28th,so we have several months to wait. It is always fun reading and looking at pictures. Thanks again for posting this. :)

I will be on the same ship the same itinerary in 14 days:D. I have been reading everything I can about Jamacia.My DH does not even want to get off the boat. I want to do some shopping:p. Is there a secure safe place for a woman to shop alone?

What a great review so far. We are not sailing until March 2011 on Liberty...but this story is cool.

We are also sailing on the Liberty in March 2011. Our date is March 12. Is that yours also "Cruisefriends?"

I am loving this review! I'm a teacher and your boys are so darling! I didn't know about the professional photos on deck 5 with dressing up in period clothing. I'd like my hubby and I to try that.

Looking forward to reading more of your review.

Pomcoach

So, I'm not sorry about the money we spent and I feel bad that I didn't give him a tip of some sort. I would recommend his services as long as you understand what you are getting.

Hey - I haven't read beyond this post but thought I'd chime in (as I'm sure 100 other posters have) - you were right not to tip. I've worked on ships for years (on a different line) and have sailed as a guest as well, and can tell you that the tour operators are paid handsomely, even in Jamaica. And when he said he'd paid for the entrance to some of your attractions (can't remember which ones), I'm sure he received a heavy discount and inflated the price to you accordingly.

Oh - and the wooden trinkets that were pawned off to your kids - that broke my heart. It kills me when I see passengers taken advantage of by some over-eager locals. I mean, it's one thing had it happened to you, but for them to approach your kids? Rotten.

I agree Jamaica can be one of the most agressive islands. I learned on the 1st trip to Ocho Rios to be firm. Nothing is ever FREE !!! I simple don't even let them get 2 words out. NOOOOOO is it! If there is something that I really like I ask for a price. There is always a bargain it turns into a low ball high ball but I always win..

The Jamaican sales people can smell any since of weekness on tourists. My mom says she can always count on me to haggle a good price. I don't consider it being mean or rude but smart! (ex.. Your cab rides. Set your price before you get in the car).

I seriously hope everyone that goes to Ocho Rios enjoys their vacation time there. Just be very careful of your surroundings. They are very crafty people! It's as if there is a College course for robbing the tourist.

I've travelled a lot in my 32 years, 8 of which were spent working on a cruise ship. I've bought so many beautifully crafted souvenirs from India, Hong Kong & Vietnam - jade, porcelain, lacquered (sp?) boxes, silk - INCREDIBLY cheap, handmade items. Not to mention all the fake Gucci, Chanel, Prada and Coach bags, wallets and sunglasses I buy as Christmas gifts for everyone on my list. So when I get to Ocho Rios and see their shoddy wares - I dunno....I never get approached to buy anything. Maybe it's because I walk a little fast and don't make a lot of eye-contact....I guess they figure I've done it all before and have zero interest.

Ummm....other substances? I get approached to buy that stuff CONSTANTLY (lol) but haven't indulged - the restaurants and merchant stands are so shoddy; I can just imagine what the inside of a Jamaican prison looks like!

JUST SAY NO!! :)

I am late getting to read your review. I really enjoyed it. We will be on the Liberty Aug 28th,so we have several months to wait. It is always fun reading and looking at pictures. Thanks again for posting this. :)

Sure! It was a lot of work but fun to post it.

I did the same thing... I read every Liberty review I could. It was because I read those and enjoyed them so much that I decided to write up ours and post it.

So now you're obligated too. :)

Enjoy your cruise!

rv

I will be on the same ship the same itinerary in 14 days:D. I have been reading everything I can about Jamacia.My DH does not even want to get off the boat. I want to do some shopping:p. Is there a secure safe place for a woman to shop alone?

That Taj place we shopped at is very close to the port. Go out and make a left and its a few minutes down.

Best case I think would be for you to make some friends on the ship that are also interested in shopping and you guys can go together. :)

Have fun.

rv

We are also sailing on the Liberty in March 2011. Our date is March 12. Is that yours also "Cruisefriends?"

I am loving this review! I'm a teacher and your boys are so darling! I didn't know about the professional photos on deck 5 with dressing up in period clothing. I'd like my hubby and I to try that.

Looking forward to reading more of your review.

Pomcoach

I think those were some of the best pictures the boys have EVER taken.

Hmmmm... I have a scanner now. I should scan them in and post them.

rv

Hey - I haven't read beyond this post but thought I'd chime in (as I'm sure 100 other posters have) - you were right not to tip. I've worked on ships for years (on a different line) and have sailed as a guest as well, and can tell you that the tour operators are paid handsomely, even in Jamaica. And when he said he'd paid for the entrance to some of your attractions (can't remember which ones), I'm sure he received a heavy discount and inflated the price to you accordingly.

Oh - and the wooden trinkets that were pawned off to your kids - that broke my heart. It kills me when I see passengers taken advantage of by some over-eager locals. I mean, it's one thing had it happened to you, but for them to approach your kids? Rotten.

Ahhh, thanks. I don't remember anyone else posting about the tipping one way or the other though I might have forgotten it.

If he had just been a tour guide I would have tipped him but he was the tour guide OWNER (Peat Taylor himself) so I was unsure.

rv

Sure! It was a lot of work but fun to post it.

I did the same thing... I read every Liberty review I could. It was because I read those and enjoyed them so much that I decided to write up ours and post it.

So now you're obligated too. :)

Enjoy your cruise!

rv

My husband and I loved your review. Your style of writing is so easy to read. :)

Archived