PORTS ACCESS Manta, Lima, Arica, La Serana

tenniscruise

Does anyone have infos on theses commercial ports for these questions:

- walk to gate possible or not ?

- free bus to the gate offered by cruise company (RCCL, Celebrity, NCL..)

- bus to commercial shopping center in city (free bus or a few USD)

-

Manta-open port-taxi's available. Taxi can drop you off right at the gangplank.

Lima-closed port, access by permit only. DO NOT GO WANDERING AROUND OUTSIDE THE GATE LOOKING FOR A TAXI-bad neighborhood. Make arrangements with a tour operator to either pick you up inside or right at the gate.

I have been on 3 X SA cruises. Never paid attention to bus service. In Lima, it would be a long shuttle to downtown (tourist area) or Miraflores (the shopping district) and I have no idea whether the cruise line has a shuttle.

I can't specifically remember about Arica. I had been there on business before, so really didn't pay attention. Sorry.

Hello,

On RCCL cruises there was a shuttle to a central location in Manta. Nice town and easy to walk around.

There was also a shuttle to central La Serena but La Serena is several miles from the port of Coquimbo. This is an especialy nice city to walk around.

I agree with Great Am (she is great but I am not sure about the am) that Limais not a place to go by taxi. Our ship's tour was reasonable so you might want to consider this.

Have not been to Arica

Hello,

On RCCL cruises there was a shuttle to a central location in Manta. Nice town and easy to walk around.

There was also a shuttle to central La Serena but La Serena is several miles from the port of Coquimbo. This is an especialy nice city to walk around.

I agree with Great Am (she is great but I am not sure about the am) that Limais not a place to go by taxi. Our ship's tour was reasonable so you might want to consider this.

Have not been to Arica

In Manta, you want to go to Montecristi (by taxi-about $65 for the entire car). Home of PANAMA HATS (no they are NOT made in Panama). Street market and hat weavers all over Montecristi.

Greatam-Great American Express, Inc. My international logistics company. It has been GreatAm for years and years because GAE was just tooooo, shall I say confusing for truck drivers.

Manta-open port-taxi's available. Taxi can drop you off right at the gangplank.

Lima-closed port, access by permit only. DO NOT GO WANDERING AROUND OUTSIDE THE GATE LOOKING FOR A TAXI-bad neighborhood. Make arrangements with a tour operator to either pick you up inside or right at the gate.

I have been on 3 X SA cruises. Never paid attention to bus service. In Lima, it would be a long shuttle to downtown (tourist area) or Miraflores (the shopping district) and I have no idea whether the cruise line has a shuttle.

I can't specifically remember about Arica. I had been there on business before, so really didn't pay attention. Sorry.

Greatam, you mention that port-taxi is available in Manta and about $65 to get to Montecristi, do you know if we can hire them for the day to get to Machalilla National Park and back? Also is there a certain taxi we should look for, for safety and ones that we should not get into? Your answers would be of great help to us as I am having so much difficulty in obtaining any info on the port of Manta

Tenniscruise, Lima: when I have made inquires about getting p/up inside the port gates I have been told it's possible and that it cost $35 to get a permit which was alright but they wanted our passport numbers along with other details and that has been our stumbling block in going ahead and booking a private tour.

Greatam, you mention that port-taxi is available in Manta and about $65 to get to Montecristi, do you know if we can hire them for the day to get to Machalilla National Park and back? Also is there a certain taxi we should look for, for safety and ones that we should not get into? Your answers would be of great help to us as I am having so much difficulty in obtaining any info on the port of Manta

The taxis I have hired in Manta were just "off the street". I look for English speaking taxi drivers even though I speak fluent Spanish. I also look for cars with meters (although I negotiate a flat fee) and well maintained cars. This is one place in SA I actually do feel safe hiring a "street taxi".

Tenniscruise, Lima: when I have made inquires about getting p/up inside the port gates I have been told it's possible and that it cost $35 to get a permit which was alright but they wanted our passport numbers along with other details and that has been our stumbling block in going ahead and booking a private tour.

Normal course of business asking for passport numbers in a lot of places in the world. The drivers NEED the numbers to present to port authorities who have a list of those authorized to provide services AND a list of cruise ship passengers/others who are allowed access in/to the port.

When the port/immigration authorities board the ships very early in the morning to stamp passports, the cruise line provides a manifest. The port/immigration authorities check off names against passports provided by the cruise line. Then those very lists are given to security at ports to provide access into and out of ports. Without your passport number, port authorities have NO way of knowing whether you are allowed access or are an unauthorized person.

You may want to check out my friend Luis at San Antonio Abad. He can provide a very nice tour any way you want for a reasonable fee. I use his cars and drivers all the time in Lima for airport transport, shopping, and just transport. You can have Luis arrange an actual tour or just pick out things you want to do in Lima and have his driver take you.

http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

Hi, tibmi

I hit all those same ports aboard the Celebrity Infinity in December 2009... if you're on that ship and you find a group rate someplace, for example Lima, and need another person to join, please let me know. I was making plans myself and saw your posting! Message Chris at neitherfishnorfowl@gmail.com

Hi, tibmi

I hit all those same ports aboard the Celebrity Infinity in December 2009... if you're on that ship and you find a group rate someplace, for example Lima, and need another person to join, please let me know. I was making plans myself and saw your posting! Message Chris at neitherfishnorfowl@gmail.com

Hi Chris,

I wont be on the Infinity (although we do love sailing on Celebrity the most) this trip we'll be on the Pacific Princess with stops at Manta and Lima so I hopped onto this post to get advise. We've decided to take GREATAM's advise and just take a taxi from the port when we dock in Manta and for Lima as my DH isn't happy about giving passport numbers out we are still undecided about taking a private tour or ship tour. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I hope you have a great trip and I think all of us who travel to ports such as Manta, Lima etc. should on our return post reviews to help future CC who travel there as it's so difficult find info if your not going the usual Brazil to Chile route.

Cheers

I was on the Amsterdam last year stopping in all these ports.

In Manta there was a shuttle bus that took you to the center of town. There was a rep of the tour company that handles the local tours for HAL and I guess all the other cruises at the bus stop organizing taxis to Montecristo, if that is what you want. It was $25 flat fee. R/T and 2 hour waiting time. The town is kinda nice but quite. There was a nice and busy outdoor cafe in the square where the busses stop as well as others around town. There is also a very helpful post office. I enjoyed our stop there.

In Callao you either must take a tour or have someone waiting for you that you are sure of. There are taxis avail but their english is at best questionable. As in many parts of the world if you ask a taxi driver if he speaks english they always say yes. However once you go ten feet you realize that is not the case. They all know how to say yes but not much more. I have given the email of the guide I used in Lima and had a wonderful time.

In Arica the ship docks right in town. We rented a car and drove out to the desert. A wonderful drive. There is this very different desert cemetery along the road in the only town on the road.

In coquimbo the ships docks in town as well. Not much there. You should take a Taxi to Le Semana. A much nicer town. The market is interesting. There is also a large shopping mall with a large supermarket if you need anything. Also a good supermarket in the local market in the regular market. Beware the coffee is very strong there.

377144942_Manta(28).jpg.2188bd515df5d2b01c9ead24ff299996.jpg

373176059_Poconchile(16).jpg.1c78be0eab9e40d4aa8f0042e9a524a5.jpg

609705831_LaSerena(19).jpg.6b21668e3a3608d27bcc913606e9c336.jpg

1738529728_Lima(214).jpg.2f17ff488f466e7ce88ddfb4b1bfb053.jpg

1774588444_Lima(273).jpg.389db004b584855b03ff1ee6adf709a1.jpg

Archived