Godmothers - could someone explain?

tm5to1

Everyone is buzzing about who the godmothers of Oasis are. And that there is one for all seven 'neighborhoods'. This is the first I've ever heard about ships having godmothers. Could someone explain all this and its significance to me? Thanks!

Cruiser ships (heck most vessels) get christened when launched. Cruise Lines have turned it into a PR opportunity by having a godmother. A cruise ship usually has only one. RCI has decided to get maximum exposure for Oasis by have one for each of the "neighborhoods" onboard.

It is traditional at the launching of a newbuilt vessel to give it a name. This is done with some ceremony. In the old newsreels you will see ships being "Christened" breaking a bottle of bubbly over the bow by such luminaries as Eleanor Roosevelt, Mamie Eisenhower, Queen Elizabeth II (her not the cruise ship). It is an ancient tradition now lending itself to a news event.

Cruiser ships (heck most vessels) get christened when launched. Cruise Lines have turned it into a PR opportunity by having a godmother. A cruise ship usually has only one. RCI has decided to get maximum exposure for Oasis by have one for each of the "neighborhoods" onboard.

This is not the first time RCI has used multiple godparents, Adventure of the Seas has 4 godparents, family members of FDNY and NYPD personel

killed in the September 11th attacks. Adventure of the Seas was the first Cruise ship to sail into New York Harbor after the attacks

Everyone is buzzing about who the godmothers of Oasis are. And that there is one for all seven 'neighborhoods'. This is the first I've ever heard about ships having godmothers. Could someone explain all this and its significance to me? Thanks!

This formal practice is very common. Almost all cruise ship are christen by some female celebrity or female dignitary or AKA godmother to the ship as it's long held tradition of good luck along with a good marketing tool by the cruise line because the press and travel agents are invited to attend. This is usually help at the naming ceremony prior to it's first passenger's revenue sailing. She's stands at a podium and says into a microphone..."I name this ship XXXXX....maybe God bless her and all that sail on her." She pulls a lever that releases a bottle of champagne that breaks against the ship's hull. The ship blast it's horn, the band starts to play and the crowd applause. Usually this is proceeded by a formal tour of the ship by the captain and luncheon in the main dinning room after the naming ceremony. Every cruise line does things differently from simple to extravagant star stud events with fireworks. It's also common to have the godmother's formal portrait in the lobby of the ship. You can go to Youtube.com and search for cruise ship naming ceremonies to see the actual thing.

Archived