Looking to avoid cruise ship snorkeling excursions.

Bethany Beach

I noticed that LakeTravisJK got lucky with some recommendations for serveral ports - so thought I'd give it a shot. We did a S. Carib cruise and took all ship-sponsored snorkeling excursions. All but one in Dominica was terrible just for the all the usual reasons. But, here we go again on another Carib cruise in Feb on Azamara Journey, simply because we will have the opportunity to visit some places to which we have never been.

If anyone has any suggestions for private snorkeling trips that they took in any of the following, I'd REALLY appreciate the information. I have been reading the Ports of Call boards with some success and will post a version of this on each site. But, I figured the diehard snorkelers might be looking here. I realize that not all places have great snorkeling, but want to give it a shot anyway to at least get the best experiences possible. I need to get things organized as we only booked our cruise yesterday:

St. Croix (probably want to go to Buck Island)

Marigot, St. Martin

St. Barts

Dominica

Antigua

Virgin Gorda

St. Lucia

By the way, we usually take land vacations and have stayed and snorkeled at St. John, Bonaire, Virgin Gorda, Roatan (the best of our trips for snorkeling). If I can share any info on these places for anyone, I'd be happy to do so either through this thread or via email Judy9909@gmail.com

A couple excellent operators is Adventure Antigua, and Dive Fair Helen at St Lucia. The latter mixes divers and snorkelers on the same boat with separate guides for each group.

http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html

http://www.divefairhelen.com/cruise_ship_special.htm

Feb 12 – St Lucia: Full day snorkel with Dive Fair Helen.

http://www.divefairhelen.com/cruise_ship_special.htm

Boat meets us at ferry dock just across from cruise ship. Bumpy ride to dive shop at Marigot Bay. Ten snorkelers and nine divers board boat and head for Anse Cochon. Excellent marine life. The reef is easily accessed from the Tiki Village beach. Lunch is served on board, then a second stop at Richmond’s Trench. Large coral formations on each side are near the surface. A good day with an excellent operator. A big thumbs up for DFH.

Feb 13 – Antigua: Full Day snorkel with Eli’s Eco Tour:

http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html

Today’s boat Captain is J.D., not Eli. Tony was both narrator and snorkel guide. Tony proves to be a good replacement for Eli. A very windy day, 25 knots, makes for a rough ride to the North Shore. First stop is Bird Island beach for a short hike and/or snorkel lesson. There were two more stops, the last at Hell’s Gate. The weather and seas are too rough to snorkel over the reef to the Atantic side, so I just snorkeled between boat and reef. Nice coral and reef, but sand covers most of it and few fish venture out. Lunch is served on board. There are other options here including a climb to the top of Hell’s Gate via the island cave, which most choose to do. Good or bad weather, Eli’s is the best snorkel excursion in the Caribbean.

Check out Captain Alan's in St. Martin. We are booked with him in January, but he got lots of good recs on CC and elsewhere. 3 islands, a small boat with only 14 people.

http://www.captainalan.com/challenge/challenge.htm

Yes, I forgot about him. Here's another good rec for Alan. He's first rate.

His beach stop includes a really neat mud bath!:)

Thanks for the suggestions. Captain Alan's does not operate snorkeling trips on a Sunday, so that is out. We are docking in Falmouth in Antigua, so Adventures Antigua emailed and stated that we can't take their trips. DiveFairHelen might work. So, I am making a little progress. The one place, Virgin Gorda, to which we have land vacationed last year is giving me some problems. Lots of good snorkeling sites there (want to avoid the Baths - been there done that) and I thought I would be able to find several options for snorkeling trips. Nothing so far. Let's hope that I will be able to avoid booking too many ship excursions with all of us squished on the boat.

Thanks for the suggestions. Captain Alan's does not operate snorkeling trips on a Sunday, so that is out. We are docking in Falmouth in Antigua, so Adventures Antigua emailed and stated that we can't take their trips. DiveFairHelen might work. So, I am making a little progress. The one place, Virgin Gorda, to which we have land vacationed last year is giving me some problems. Lots of good snorkeling sites there (want to avoid the Baths - been there done that) and I thought I would be able to find several options for snorkeling trips. Nothing so far. Let's hope that I will be able to avoid booking too many ship excursions with all of us squished on the boat.

Why not? Do they have a contract with your ship? That would be new for them. Maybe they've acquired a large cattle boat for the cruise ships. :( That doesn't sound like Eli. More likely it's a stand down or fully booked day?

Have you contacted Patouche at Tortola?

http://www.patouche.com/index.html

You could check out here too. I've used this for some great snorkeling. Didn't look at your stops, but maybe you could just catch a cab and have a private snorkel. :)

Actually, just took a quick look and half way down the page is a heading for 'top 40 snorkeling'. Did see Dominica listed. Have fun! :)

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/index.htm

Stevesan: Eli does not pick up at Falmouth, and he said that we would never be able to make it to his departure point in time. That is too bad, as it does sound like a great day.

We are going to Virgin Gorda, not Tortola. But, I'll check out the patouche link just in case they cover all of the BVIs.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Bethany Beach,

Just take a taxi to Maho Bay/Mango Beach resort. No services such as restaurant or bathroom, but the snorkeling is awesome there if you haven't done it. Since you were land-based maybe you already tried snorkeling from Spring Bay and north, but if not, it isn't crowded like the Baths at all. It is our favorite snorkeling in the world. We got married on the beach at Little Trunk Bay, the next large beach north of Spring Bay. Savannah is supposed to have good snorkeling too but we've never snorkeled there. No need for a boat for snorkeling on Virgin Gorda!

Snorkelphile: Thanks for the suggestion. On Virgin Gorda we stayed at Little Dix and did daily drop offs at various beaches. I'm pretty sure we didn't go to Maho Bay and I don't see it on my map. Our boat docks in SpanishTown. Do you happen to know the exact location of the place you are recommending?

I'll try to upload map images but not sure it will work, never tried before. The first map has mahoe (various spellings out there) on the map but the second map is a better road map. It marks Maho will "Katitiche Point" which is the point at the south end of the beach.

Map_Virgin_Gorda.jpg.7a99c37ee9155a64825abdc1ef231310.jpg

vgmap.jpg.6e495b0e60e61a4fffafea824f52049f.jpg

Archived