Anyone used "Cayecaulker water taxis"

tinkerbell333

Has anyone used this company - Caye Caulker Water Taxi? The cc website under Ports lists this as a way to Caye caulker and it is $15 pp roundtrip. This sounds like what I am looking for as we just want a nice beach to relax on. If anyone knows about this, any info would be helpful (reliable, legit, etc) Thanks!

Has anyone used this company - Caye Caulker Water Taxi? The cc website under Ports lists this as a way to Caye caulker and it is $15 pp roundtrip. This sounds like what I am looking for as we just want a nice beach to relax on. If anyone knows about this, any info would be helpful (reliable, legit, etc) Thanks!

While I'm sure they work out for most of the people most of the time, you might want to read this trip review and apply the appropriate caution:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1092851

Admittedly the (lovely!) couple in question were at the wrong pier and there was a storm brewing. BUT the fact remains that the last water taxi left 15 minutes ahead of schedule in spite of being told by fellow passengers that they were leaving people behind!

We used the other taxi service - San Pedro Express, which is just outside the gate of the port area. They were trying for business, so we only paid $5 pp round trip ticket. The ride out was about 35 minutes. There was a noon (Belize time) taxi back which got us back to the port area at around 2:45 ship's time (the difference was 2 hours when we went b/c of daylight savings time which Belize doesn't do), plenty of time to get a tender back to the ship. We had no problems, just be sure to keep your watch on ship's time and be aware of the time difference. Both companies will have a schedule posted and are pretty reliable. We made sure we went back on an early enough return to give us some leeway to get back to the ship. We absolutely loved Caye Caulker!

If you're looking for a nice beach, Caye Caulker might not be the choice for you. It is a quaint island with interesting little shops and restaurants, but I wouldn't choose it if I were looking for a nice beach day.

I am the lady who missed the water taxi, so I would caution to not rely on their schedules - on our day, they left 15 minutes early, due to the bad weather. Also, we should not have put ourselves in a position where we were taking the last taxi that would get us to the ship. We made a spur of the moment decision, after Hammerhead Sports canceled on us, and we really didn't think through the consequences of possible bad weather and only 1 possible taxi time for the return.

We've done the taxi and i agree that the beaches are not the best on the Caye. They are ok, and there is a nice shop area. As was daid, watch your time. We ran hard to make it to the dock just in time to catch the last taxi back.....

If you're looking for a nice beach, Caye Caulker might not be the choice for you. It is a quaint island with interesting little shops and restaurants, but I wouldn't choose it if I were looking for a nice beach day.

I am the lady who missed the water taxi, so I would caution to not rely on their schedules - on our day, they left 15 minutes early, due to the bad weather. Also, we should not have put ourselves in a position where we were taking the last taxi that would get us to the ship. We made a spur of the moment decision, after Hammerhead Sports canceled on us, and we really didn't think through the consequences of possible bad weather and only 1 possible taxi time for the return.

Just started reading your review (love it), and this is one of the two reasons I always advise never taking the last water taxi back in time to make the ship tender! The other reason is that the ferry could end up being full.

Sorry you had to figure it out the hard way. :(

Archived