Transportation/cal academy of sciences

Mrs Charmin

We'd like to go to the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco in May, 2010. We'll be staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area. The website gives directions by bus, but it sounds pretty complicated. They offer shuttles in the summer, but they probably won't be running in May. How expensive would it be to take a cab there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Norah

I would think the cab fare would be $20-25. (just a guess).

to get there by bus, from fisherman's wharf, catch the F trolley line south to the Ferry Building. (at the water front at the east end of market street). transfer to the underground muni train station. (same paper transfer will get you on). take the N-Judah car outbound to 9th and Irving. walk 1 block north into the park and continue 1 block north in the park, then when you get to the second road, take a right turn and the museum will be on your right.

it is on one side of an oval concert area (bandshell, etc) and the De Young museum is on the other side of the oval.

it is really not hard on the bus---just some time--like 1 hour. if you don't want to walk far at all --take a cab. the japanese tea garden is in the same area.

calling 311 you can find out when the bus is coming or get advice. the transfer will take $1 I think off the entrance fee.

Thanks NNA. Taking a cab would be easier, but would add $50 to our excursion. We might try public transportation using your instructions. I guess it would add to the whole San Francisco experience. Are all the "transfer" neighborhoods safe to be in?

Thanks again.

Norah

Charmin,

It is safe and will add greatly to your visit to San Francisco. Public transportation is heaviy used as the city has comparatively little land. Please remember that San Francisco is one of the world's foremost urban cities and you will see "street" people. They are harmless, but if you are asked for money politely but firmly say no thank you.

The Ferry Building is a nice destination, as the building itself is an architectural gem. If you walk out toward the back of the building there are some great views of the San Francisco Bay.

Have a good map of San Francisco with you.

Also from the Fisherman's Wharf area, there is a wonderful walk to downtown San Francisco, through the north beach area (Italian) and then to Chinatown. Stop and see the Church of Peter and Paul on Washington Square.

In the Fisherman's Wharf area, there are two restaurants you should know about. The In and Out Burger is a California based chain that specializes in very good food and reasonable prices. The menu is limited but thisis really the best place in this area cost wise.

The other is the Buena Vista Cafe. This ismorepricey but very goodfor breakfast (there is a back room where there are more tables).

Another idea is to take the ferry from the Ferry Building to Sausalito. Great views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay and the pretty town of Sausalito.

Thank you so much FredR. I'm so glad I posted here. We've been looking at the public transportation and we're now excited to go that way. As you said, it will add to the San Francisco experience.

I bought a great little book called San Francisco Inside Out and it has super pop-out maps. My DH is also planning the routes on 511. Now we wonder if three days will be enough.

We're leaving from there to go on an Alaskan cruise, but right now I'm more excited to see and tour San Francisco. I've never been there (DH has). We're planning two tours - one city and one to Muir Woods, but I know that there's lots more to see.

Thanks again. This is helping the time go faster.

Norah

I wonder if I should ask a "hotel" question here too....

We haven't chosen a hotel yet, but we're looking at the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf and also at the Holiday Inn Express. Most hotels in the area are around $200/night and we're staying four nights. I know I could get a better price with Priceline, but I'm too chicken to try this route.

Any comments on either of these hotels or any others in the area? I'm not sure how far in advance we need to book a hotel.

Some hotels want you to pay the whole amount when booking, but I don't want to do that. I don't mind paying the first night and the rest later.

Thanks again for your help.

Nora,

If you are going to be in San Francisco for 3 or 4 days, you should consider renting a car. With a car, you will have a much wider selection of places to stay. And if you have a car you can take some truly nice side trips, for example, to the Wine Country, or to Carmel, or to the redwoods. And with a car you can go to supermarkets and save money in terms of food. Further there is a lot to see in San Francisco and having a car will help, such as to Fort Point. You do not have to pay anything for a car rental up front and you can always cancel with no penalty if your plans change.

A hotel we have stayed at but not recently,is the Cow Hollow Motor Inn and Suites, located on Lombard Street at Steiner. This hotel has an outstanding location, just one half block from Chestnut Street, and has great access to restaurants, public transit, and walking distance to some of San Francisco's most interesting and prosperous neighborhoods such as the Marina. The hotel is not fancy at all,but nice. It has free parking or at least it did when we stayed there about two years ago. This hotel is good with or without a car.

A source of information about hotels is the website "Trip Advisor". Although you must read each review of a hotelyou are interested in very carefully I have found this site to be exceptionally helpful in my travel planning.

Also, check the Kimpton Hotel website as this is a chain of very nice hotels in San Francisco that may have a package in your price range.

As for Priceline, I would really do my research as there are some neighborhoods in San Francisco that are not for tourists. In other words use Priceline but not before you do your research. I would bid on the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf as this is in a good neighborhood. Other hotels to consider on Priceline aare the Sheraton Fishermans Wharf, Raddison Hotel Fishermans Wharf, Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf, and two Hiltons...Hilton San Francisco Financial District and Hilton San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf.

the neighborhoods I mentioned are safe--and try to sit at the front of the street car/buses near the driver. most locals are friendly and will give suggestions and info. I wouldn't go to IN/Out burger if you paid me--esp since you are in one of the finest eating cities in the world.

the neighborhood at 9th and irving has many great places to eat right there--Chow (just off 9th and irving) , Ebisu japanese, oysters down the block, and lots and lots of great local places. a great curry place is just up the block between 9th and 10th on irving--right where the street car turns--next to the offices of Craigslist. this is more what we locals eat at.

I would consider renting a car for one day (city car rentals is good) and going to ft point, muir woods, the marin headlands--maybe even the free bay model (army corps of engineers) in sausalito. then the rest by bus and walking.

Hello,

Interesting that the previous poster hammered In and Out Burger. Someone in my family has lived in San Francisco since 1912 and by marriage since the 1870s. I have gone to many of San Francisco's nicest restaurants over the years, and my wife has been to practicly all of the finest places.

In an Out Burger has a huge following throughout California, Nevada and Ibelieve Arizona because it has very good food at affordable prices.

Maybe he or she wants to spend a lot of money everytime they go out, but I believe that visitors to San Francisco should know that there are some reasonably priced alternatives.

I don't spend a lot of money when I go out to eat--but I also don't want so cal fast food...I would rather eat in a small place in chinatown, the tenderloin or our neighborhoods---our local kabob place has meals for $7.

hello,

Again, you miss the point. Inand Out Burger is not "so cal fast food". For quality, freshness, price, and even the friendliness of the servers, In and Out Burger will take very good care of you.

Many visitors to San Francisco stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area which generally has higher priced restaurants. And these visitors should know that there are some alternatives.

I am sure that your local kabob place is very good. How about a name and location?

Thanks for all your suggestions. This vacation is to be a "non-driving" vacation, so we won't rent a car. My DH has been to California a number of times for work-related conferences and has told me that he won't drive there (too nervous). He has no trouble driving in Florida, Maui, etc., but all those lanes and inter-changes in California scare him. So, finding this cruise out of San Francisco was my way to get to see that beautiful city. I think right now I'm more excited about that than the cruise, but as it gets closer I know that I'll be excited about the cruise too.

I also appreciate the restaurant advice and we'll try both. I've heard of In/Out Burgers and we'd like to give it a try, as we've never been to one. We'd also like to try the local cuisine. And, since we are also going on an 11 day cruise, we do have to watch our budget.

Thanks again. Norah

Norah,

Last comments here....

Check with the San Francisco Visitors Bureau (or official tourist organization) website and obtain information on public transit passes. The passes will save you money and the hassle of looking for change each time you ride the Muni. It is nice to purchase the pass and just show it to the driver.

San Francisco is a city for walking...Fisherman's Wharf to downtown San Francisco for example, or the newly developed area around the Giants baseball stadium (even if baseball is of no interest to you this stadiumis a treat to see, and walk all around). Another is to see the buildings in the Financial District from an architectural view.

Streets of interest are Chestnut, Union, and Clement Streets... Grant Avenue (Chinatown). See the City Lights book store on Columbus for reading material.

The museums (all are interesting) are in Golden Gate Park.

Norah,

If you want to use Priceline for San Francisco, specify Area 3 (Fisherman's Wharf) and Area 4 (Lombard - Marina).

And bid at 3.5 stars plus (+) but do not go lower than this.

I did some checking about Priceline (which I have used before) for San Francisco and there were some very nice savings. But follow the guidelines I suggest above.

Archived