san francisco help

darner010

we will be sailing out of SF august 2010 for alaska on sea princess and would like some advice on lodging and transportation from SFO to hotel, hotel to pier and recommendations on area to stay in as we will be flying in the day prior. have considered the princess pre-cruise package that includes transportation to the intercontinental on nob hill but it seems a tad costly. any advice much appreciated.

make your own arrangements. take a shuttle from the airport to hotel. take a taxi from hotel to ship (short distance). your basic areas for hotels are downtown or fisherman's wharf.

there is lots of info out there--look at old threads

we are flying in from chicago so should be there around noon so figure that we should about 3 or 4 to do some sight seeing, china town, fisherman's wharf etc. do you know how far the airport is from the pier?

There are some nice places in Union Square, but if I only had a limited time, I'd try to stay around the wharf. It's a nice walk from there through North Beach to China Town. Ghirardelli is near the wharf, and Union Square is a short trolley ride away.

If you catch the trolley at the end of Hyde, it's nice to buy one of those 1-day Muni Passports. It'll get you unlimited rides all day on trolleys, buses, etc.

I'm envious - DW & I love SF!

Hello,

I' ll keep this very short. The Kimpton hotel chain has several hotels in San Francisco, that have some very nice packages.

The Cow Hollow Motor Inn and Suites has an outstanding location.

And please remember Mark Twain's famous comment..."the coldest I have ever been, was an August in San Francisco".

mark twain was a journalist in this town--he never ever said that quote about san francisco weather--it is the biggest urban legend around...

on the other hand, it can be very cold in the city in august. it will be sunny on the east side of town during the day, then about 4 pm, the wind will come up and the fog will move in and it will be very cold. the high could be 60 or 80 degrees. always take a jacket when out and about, as the weather changes depending on location and time of day.

fleece jacket merchants do a killer business at fisherman's wharf--right in the wind slot of the golden gate bridge...

Archived