18 passengers of RCI and DCL robbed at gunpoint

flagger

Highlights by me: http://openjurist.org/17/f3d/11

This appeal tests the applicability of a one year limitation provision in a passenger cruise ticket to an injury suffered by a passenger while ashore, on hotel property owned by the same entity which owned and operated the cruise vessel.

2 In the spring of 1990, plaintiffs, Marian and Leonard Rams, residents of Massachusetts, embarked on a Caribbean cruise on a ship owned by defendant, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ltd., a Florida corporation. On April 6, 1990, while on a shore excursion in Haiti at a tourist resort owned by defendant, Mrs. Rams fell on a walkway, sustaining injuries. A little over two years later, both Rams filed suit, alleging that defendant "negligently maintained a defective and dangerous condition" on the walkway, and seeking damages for personal injuries and loss of consortium.

3 On the strength of an affidavit containing a copy of a ticket contract identical to that given to plaintiffs, defendant moved for summary judgment, asserting that plaintiffs had failed to institute suit within the one year period allowed by the contract.1 The Rams argued that their claim was not covered by this time limitation, and urged the court to apply the three year statute of limitations for tort actions provided by Massachusetts law, Mass.Gen.L. ch. 260 Sec. 2A (1992).

4 The district court engaged in a maritime tort law analysis and, apparently on the assumption that the complaint alleged a failure to warn, concluded that a carrier's duty to warn passengers of on-shore hazards was so intimately related to traditional carrier-passenger relationships that the tort in this case was maritime in nature even though occurring at the resort. It then disavowed part of the ticket contract exempting the carrier for liability for off-the-ship injuries as being in contravention of public policy; noted that the ticket's one year limitation provision complied with governing law, as it met the statutory requirement of 46 App.U.S.C. Sec. 183b(a) (making it unlawful for owners of passenger-transport ships to provide a statute of limitations of less than one year for institution of suits for loss of life or bodily injury), and the "reasonable communicativeness" standard applicable to contracts of passage, see, e.g., Lousararian v. Royal Caribbean Corp., 951 F.2d 7, 8-9 (1st Cir.1991); and applied the limitation provision to grant summary judgment for defendant.

Highlights by me: http://openjurist.org/17/f3d/11

This appeal tests the applicability of a one year limitation provision in a passenger cruise ticket to an injury suffered by a passenger while ashore, on hotel property owned by the same entity which owned and operated the cruise vessel.

2 In the spring of 1990, plaintiffs, Marian and Leonard Rams, residents of Massachusetts, embarked on a Caribbean cruise on a ship owned by defendant, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ltd., a Florida corporation. On April 6, 1990, while on a shore excursion in Haiti at a tourist resort owned by defendant, Mrs. Rams fell on a walkway, sustaining injuries. A little over two years later, both Rams filed suit, alleging that defendant "negligently maintained a defective and dangerous condition" on the walkway, and seeking damages for personal injuries and loss of consortium.

3 On the strength of an affidavit containing a copy of a ticket contract identical to that given to plaintiffs, defendant moved for summary judgment, asserting that plaintiffs had failed to institute suit within the one year period allowed by the contract.1 The Rams argued that their claim was not covered by this time limitation, and urged the court to apply the three year statute of limitations for tort actions provided by Massachusetts law, Mass.Gen.L. ch. 260 Sec. 2A (1992).

4 The district court engaged in a maritime tort law analysis and, apparently on the assumption that the complaint alleged a failure to warn, concluded that a carrier's duty to warn passengers of on-shore hazards was so intimately related to traditional carrier-passenger relationships that the tort in this case was maritime in nature even though occurring at the resort. It then disavowed part of the ticket contract exempting the carrier for liability for off-the-ship injuries as being in contravention of public policy; noted that the ticket's one year limitation provision complied with governing law, as it met the statutory requirement of 46 App.U.S.C. Sec. 183b(a) (making it unlawful for owners of passenger-transport ships to provide a statute of limitations of less than one year for institution of suits for loss of life or bodily injury), and the "reasonable communicativeness" standard applicable to contracts of passage, see, e.g., Lousararian v. Royal Caribbean Corp., 951 F.2d 7, 8-9 (1st Cir.1991); and applied the limitation provision to grant summary judgment for defendant.

Very nice post Startraveler. So the moral of the story is if you're going to make a claim, do so within the statute of limitations.

For those who read this to say the cruise line has no liability, that was not the basis of this decision. Rather, the decision is purely based on statute of limitation issues and governing law (maritime).

The difference is, IMO, the people tripped on a defective sidewalk on the cruise line's property. Getting held up in a robbery off property is not the same. The cruise line was "negligent" in having a defective sidewalk. How can they be responsible for actions of criminals in public spaces not under the cruise line's control? How can they be found negligent for the actions of criminals in public places?

When we visited New Orleans, my husband was attacked by a (probably mentally ill) homeless person as we walked down a busy, tourist-filled street -- it wasn't even a questionable area like Bourbon Street. Anyway, my husband was injured. Who owes him compensation?

Sometimes things just happen. Doesn't mean anyone else -- other than the criminal -- is to blame.

To me - and I'm not a lawyer - it seems to me that if the carrier, e.g., the cruise line, has knowledge of "on-shore hazards" - such as robberies of cruise passengers - then the cruise line is responsible for the safety of passengers.

And if the cruise line is not responsible, then why do cruise ships divert from ports where there's government unrest - and that includes diverting from Labadee, which is a private area walled off from the rest of Haiti? Why not just dock where scheduled to, and tell the pax, "Hey, we're just responsible from bringing you from Point A to Point B. Yes, there's sounds of gunfire and people burning things in the street, but it's your choice, and your responsibility, if you get off the ship." (And granted I'm saying that facetiously, but it is a real question I have.)

When we visited New Orleans, my husband was attacked by a (probably mentally ill) homeless person as we walked down a busy, tourist-filled street -- it wasn't even a questionable area like Bourbon Street. Anyway, my husband was injured. Who owes him compensation?

Sometimes things just happen. Doesn't mean anyone else -- other than the criminal -- is to blame.

was it on an excursion booked by the hotel? If not, no comparison

:cj

If an accident does occur, injured passengers can seek damages from an insured tour operator. To be successful in a suit against a cruise line, however, one of three conditions has to exist, says Miami attorney Charles Lipcon, who specializes in maritime law: "If the ticket for the excursion was sold on board, if the cruise line had knowledge of a known danger, or if they [the cruise line] in fact operate the excursion."

http://www.lipcon.com/news_archive/news_article73.php

If an accident does occur, injured passengers , one of three conditions has to exist, says Miami attorney Charles Lipcon, who specializes in maritime law: "If the ticket for the excursion was sold on board, if the cruise line had knowledge of a known danger, or if they [the cruise line] in fact operate the excursion."

The cruise line charges a premium for the excursions over booking directly with the tour operator which should more than cover their cost for insurance against claims

:cj

Sounds like 1 out of 3 apply here; they sold the ticket. So if a ship docks in Key West, a passenger is robbed in public, it's the ships fault? By that logic, the cruise line should, to protect their liability, then warn anyone going ashore in any port. We all know that crime can and does occurs everywhere, otherwise there would be no need for a police department in Key West.

Bourbon is one of the LEAST questionable streets in NOLA. And your analogy is well, not an analogy. It makes no sense with respect to the discussion here.

Sounds like 1 out of 3 apply here; they sold the ticket. So if a ship docks in Key West, a passenger is robbed in public, it's the ships fault? By that logic, the cruise line should, to protect their liability, then warn anyone going ashore in any port. We all know that crime can and does occurs everywhere, otherwise there would be no need for a police department in Key West.

Just go to the Department of State website>

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html

Why can't the cruise lines mirror this information for the benefit of their customers???

This would go a long way in diffusing potential liability.

Just go to the Department of State website>

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html

Why can't the cruise lines mirror this information for the benefit of their customers???

This would go a long way in diffusing potential liability.

Why would the cruise line want to publish information that might discourage you from taking a cruise where they are going? Why can't people just take responsibility for themselves? Does someone have to print it out and hand it to them? I'm so tired of people not taking responsibility for themselves and blaming someone else.

Why would the cruise line want to publish information that might discourage you from taking a cruise where they are going? Why can't people just take responsibility for themselves? Does someone have to print it out and hand it to them? I'm so tired of people not taking responsibility for themselves and blaming someone else.

Why can't they (cruise lines) if they want to limit liability? No matter how hard you try, you can't avoid reality.

I agree that people should take responsibility for themselves. It's just the litigious society we live in that requires that those with the deepest pockets take extraordinary care in trying to avoid litigation or at least minimize their downside. Sad, but true.

Archived