Dining attire query from a newbie!

ajn1982

We're coming over from the UK for an Alaskan cruise next year - our first time to the eastern US and first ever cruise!

I know there are two formal dining nights on our cruise, where a suit or tux is expected. My problem is that we have to bring our luggage a long way(!), plus we're travelling around a fair bit after the cruise, so I'm reluctant to use valuable suitcase space for a smart outfit that I'll need to cart around all over the place!

Are the formal nights compulsory? Or can we stay casual and eat elsewhere on board?

Thanks, all!

We're coming over from the UK for an Alaskan cruise next year - our first time to the eastern US and first ever cruise!

I know there are two formal dining nights on our cruise, where a suit or tux is expected. My problem is that we have to bring our luggage a long way(!), plus we're travelling around a fair bit after the cruise, so I'm reluctant to use valuable suitcase space for a smart outfit that I'll need to cart around all over the place!

Are the formal nights compulsory? Or can we stay casual and eat elsewhere on board?

Thanks, all!

Not sure who you are cruising on but I've been on Princess and Royal Caribbean in Alaska and you'll have other options than eating in the main dining room on formal nights. Such as the Horizon Court on Princess and the Windjammer on Royal Caribbean. Basically, it's their buffets. On Royal Caribbean (can't remember about Princess right now) you can also order dinner through room services.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I absolutely agree that carrying along fancy clothes for 2 nights is silly and unnecessary. Alaska cruises are far more casual than cruises in other parts of the world.

On most cruise lines you will see all sorts of clothing in the main dining room on 'formal' nights. Just about anything goes. I have never taken fancy clothes to Alaska and never will do so. You won't go hungry.

The majority of women wear trousers with a fancy top at best and most men wear trousers a shirt and jacket.

Don't let the advertising in the brochures mislead you into thinking you have to dress as if dining with the Queen.

On our HAL cruise in 2008 you had the option of the dining room, the Lido Buffet, or room service. On formal nights they allowed men in the dining room with shirt and tie with no jacket, or jacket and shirt with no tie. Men were not allowed in with just a dress shirt but no tie. As mentioned, there will be a variety of dress. Women appeared on formal night in a variety of clothing from very dressy to smart casual. No one wore jeans. I am sure they would have been turned away on formal nights on our ship. I, too, would not lug dress clothes for two nights. As already suggested, you will not starve. There will be other options.

We are currently planning our trip to Alaska next year. We will fly in, spend two weeks touring Alaska, and will catch the September 12 sailing of Holland America's Statendam from Seward to Vancouver.

Since our main focus is seeing Denali in the fall and spending a week in Homer doing bear viewing excursions and fishing, the cruise is more or less a means of transportation from Alaska to Vancouver on our way home. We realize that in September we will need some warmer clothing and raingear, so it is more important to us to utilitze our limited luggage space to the clothing we will need for our inland touring. Holland America is a more traditional line, and we sail them often....with a tux and long dresses....but this time will be different. We won't be taking dressy clothes and suits or jackets.

I will take a skirt, a pair of black slacks, and a couple of nice tops to wear in the dining room on the casual nights, and my other half will wear slacks and a sweater. On the two formal nights we will either eat in the Lido (buffet area) or on shore. We will not go into the dining room on formal night dressed improperly, even though many people do.

Alaska is much more casual than some of the other itineraries, and with the extended hours in port, many people don't bother to go to the dining room on the ships. Don't worry about the formal nights and dressing up....as someone else has mentioned, you will have other options.

Two points...

I made the big mistake of running out and purchasing a new dark suit just for the trip. I wore it twice and it was a waste. As was said before, shirt and tie or shirt and jacket ok. We sent UPS all the formal junk back home from Anchorage.

I also made the big mistake of going to the formal dining room (not formal night) wearing shorts. It was a fun day and that's the way I was. I caught seven kinds of hell from the maitre D and had to go back and change. Lesson learned.

I learned a lot of lessons on this trip. I'll share them with you on the link below...

The most dressed up I ever get (since about 1997) on a cruise ship from Crystal to small ships is a skirted business suit. I have never been turned away from a main dining room on any ship nor have I been 'spoken to' by any cruise line staff about my attire.

For cruising to Alaska the only reason I even have the skirted business suit is that I usually have business meetings on my way to the cruise port.

Long gone are the days when we used to haul along multiple long gowns and tuxes for cruise travel. Airline baggage charges are the death of that unless you are wealthy and don't care what you spend to take along your luggage

Archived