Separate cabin for the kids

carress

Seriously, I didn't think of this? I'm getting too worked up about this cruise. That's a really good idea and I do know my kids. That might work really well. Thanks a lot for stating the obvious to a worried mom. I'm still interested in others opinions.
I'd also check with the cruiseline regularly, and especially right after final payment next month, to see if any connecting or other suitable staterooms open up for you to switch to. Remember, you might still be able to change your arrangements.

Seriously, I didn't think of this? I'm getting too worked up about this cruise. That's a really good idea and I do know my kids. That might work really well. Thanks a lot for stating the obvious to a worried mom. I'm still interested in others opinions.

Reggie,

My kids are the exact same age as yours. I also booked for Spring Break. I almost booked one outside and one inside cabin, andhad I done that, then my hubby and I would have just split up in the cabins with the kids. I agree with and earlier poster that I wouldn't want to take any chances leaving my kids alone even if they are across the hall, on a ship with thousands of people.

I got lucky though and was able to book adjoining cabins. Still hoping for a bigger price break though!

Sailing RCCL to the Bahamas...this will be my second cruise and my family's first.

My husband and I had that same conversation. Also, then the kids can never open the door and just call us when they need something. They'd think that was great, having us at their beck and call. I'm going to take a lot of this information and make a plan. You all have been so great. Thank you for not saying "are you insane, what kind of mom are you?" It's okay if you thought it, just don't write it :-)

An alternative to connecting cabins, if you're OK with doing it, is cabins across the hall from each other. The parents can be in an outside and the kids can be in a less expensive inside, bringing down the average cost. This might not be cheaper than putting the kids in your cabin as 3rd/4th guests, but gives what I think are 3 big advantages:

1. More total space

2. A second bathroom

3. Adult alone time :D

We're doing this and my kids (will be 12 and 14) could care less about their class of cabin. They are super excited about having their own room. They've already determined who gets which bed! We haven't yet decided how much freedom we plan to allow them to have.

Someone mentioned that they had to have room keys such that each parent had a key to a different room. I asked about this on the Royal boards and was told that the reservation must be made with at least one parent in each room, but that you can arrange the seapasses/keys whatever way you want at check-in. I haven't sailed RCCI yet so I can't personally confirm this.

To answer your question, upon check-in RCCL will switch your room cards so that Mom and Dad are sleeping in one room and kids are in the other with no problem. Once onboard, go to Purser's Desk and ask for your own set of SS cards for the kids rooms so you are able to enter when ever you choose. You and your children are gonna LOVE RCCL! I know we all do!:D Enjoy your cruise!

To clarify (as I understand it):

Adjoining = cabins next to each other

Connecting = adjoining and also a door between the 2 cabins

My stepson and family used connecting cabins on the Voyager of the Seas, and loved it. The 3 kids were in one cabin (with a pull-down upper bed), and mom and dad were in the other. They could close and open the connecting door as needed. And the 2 bathrooms really became 2 bathrooms, since you could use either one without going into the hallway.

The only minor problem is the rooms had a chair instead of a sofa, to make room for the connecting doorway.

On my RCCL cruise on Adventure of the Seas we found it cheaper to have two promanade rooms verses one balcony room (D1). We had two connecting promanade rooms with dh and I booked in one, the girls 4&8 booked in the other. Adjacent promanade room to one side was my niece 19 and her 18 year old friend (neither parents on cruise) connecting to another promanade room with my niece 20 and nephew 13. There parents were down the hall in a balcony room (D1) and my sil's mother/sister in the middle in a smaller balcony room (E1).

Even though my brother (niece/nephew's father) was on the cruise the travel agent had to link all them under me since the cabin wasn't within line of sight from parents cabin. Since at various times my nephew hung out with us I loved having the door inbetween rooms to change without having to send him out.

On Disney we found it cheaper to book one cat 10 (deluxe inside room only we had a secret porthole) for 4 then two standard inside rooms.

We've cruised with our two adult children. There are certain (ahem) non-financial reasons to have your kids in a separate room (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). If you have separate rooms and can afford balconies, try what we did/. We got adjoining balcony rooms and had the steward unlock the doors between us on the balcony so we could go from room to room without going through the hallway. It was really nice. Otherwise, you can get immediately-adjacent rooms but not two balconies. Another thing to consider is having one balcony room with the second room right across the hallway. Trust me, with the extra people having at least one balcony will be really, really useful.

If you are worried about your children waking up and trying to get to your room, you might want to use a baby monitor. Our children (ages 13 and 10) have stayed in an adjoining room for the past four years, and at night we always shut the connecting door. The first three years we took a baby monitor so we could hear what was going on in their room. We're not taking it this year (Adventure of the Seas, 3/28/10) but might again when our daughters are older....

I'm glad this is a board because I might get some angry responses. I have three kids and booked a spring break cruise too late. My kids are:DD 11, DS 8, DD 5. They will be sleeping across the hall. I'm not even telling my mom because she would kill me. The oldest child is responsible and the youngest would never leave one of her siblings side. Am I making a mistake. I feel pretty confident about the situation other than what if the youngest tries to find us in the middle of the night. Opinions?

My kids were 14, 6 and 4 when we first gave them their own room across the hall from our OV cabin. My youngest did indeed leave the cabin in the middle of the night looking for us. Luckily the cabin steward found him and brought him to us. :eek: Apparently our oldest is a very heavy sleeper. :( It scares me now to think about it. I think I worry more as they get older then I ever did when they were little! They have never had a balcony cabin of their own, and I am vigilant when they are in my cabin. It was nice when they were young enough to be in the kids program where they could not leave unless they were checked out. It is a little more worrisome now to have them roaming about.

We booked a separate cabin for our 14 & 16 yr old this May (not on paper of course) and we have another one that my husband, 5 yr old and I will be in. The teens thought that we would put all 3 kids in the one cabin and have one to ourselves but I told them I wasn't ok with that.

I think at 14 & 16 they are old enough to be in a cabin on their own. I'll be checking in often enough to know they are behaving and not disrupting anyone. I'll also make sure we have a key to their room so we can stop in at will.

When our kids were little they used to sleep walk sometimes. I'd be worried about that with young kids. My 5 yr old still gets up and comes to our room in the middle of the night. I could see her trying to on the ship.

This is a tough policy for me right now as I am taking my teenaged daughter and 4 friends on a cruise for Graduation. I wanted to get one inside and one balcony and I cant because they do not have an inside located near a balcony for more than 2 people. :( So no upgrade for mom. This one is hard because all of the kids are 17/18 and I think would be fine down the hall or even one deck away.

I have booked my family of 5 in 2 rooms next to each other...but not connected. My DD's aged 12, 11 and 7 will be in one cabin, with my husband and I in another cabin. My youngest will wake up in the night, but knows to crawl in bed with her sister and my middle one sleepwalks. Last year at Disney she got up and walked right out the door. So to prevent that my oldest will put a chair or luggage in front of the door so if that would happen..noise is made and she wakes up. The girls are excited to have their own room (makes em feel like big stuff) And hubby and I are looking forward to the privacy;).

Well, I switched our cruise from March to June. We are going to drive to Florida instead because the flights are too much $$$. So, some adjoining cabins just opened up! We are stopping in Orlando to take the kids to Disney too.

For those of you who were following my children cabin dilemma, we got ajoining cabins! Yea! I don't know if someone cancelled or if I just found a consultant who understood my request. Don't care, I'm just so excited. Thanks for all the great advice. L

For those of you who were following my children cabin dilemma, we got ajoining cabins! Yea! I don't know if someone cancelled or if I just found a consultant who understood my request. Don't care, I'm just so excited. Thanks for all the great advice. L

Congratulations--that's wonderful!!! We are taking the kids on their first cruise and also got connecting cabins. I did not feel comfortable with them not being connected as it is their first time on a cruise (they are 12 & 6). Glad it worked out for you

I have booked my family of 5 in 2 rooms next to each other...but not connected. My DD's aged 12, 11 and 7 will be in one cabin, with my husband and I in another cabin. My youngest will wake up in the night, but knows to crawl in bed with her sister and my middle one sleepwalks. Last year at Disney she got up and walked right out the door. So to prevent that my oldest will put a chair or luggage in front of the door so if that would happen..noise is made and she wakes up. The girls are excited to have their own room (makes em feel like big stuff) And hubby and I are looking forward to the privacy;).
Great idea about the suitcase or chair! And I know you will enjoy the privacy. Each cruise is almost like a honeymoon - fine dining, never lifting a finger, lovely surroundings. The private room is the main reason I have an easy time getting my husband to agree to book another cruise! There 's something about that sea air....Try the couples massage treatments on board for an extra treat ;) if you can swing it.

Did you end up get adjoining or connecting staterooms?

Same here...we had two cabins with 3 between them, checked the other day and they had two connecting balconies open up so we grabbed them...Us in one room....kids right next door....

We booked that same thing last summer on the Mariner. We had a balcony and our kids were next door in an inside (there are not many of those configurations-jump on one if you can get it. And it's an aft blacony- gotta love that!:D) Our kids are close in age to yours (11, 9, and 5). The kids loved having their own room (even ordered pizza from room service one night). You know your kids so you know if they would be OK. Mine were perfectly fine. We initially thought the youngest could be in our room at night, but he was so upset at not being in the "kids" room that we let him try it, and they were great in there. I say go for it if you think your kids could handle it; they probably can.)

We are booked on Carnival for Spring Break (last week of March) and the cabins are next door ocean views, not connecting, but right next door. Carnival would only book it with an adult in each room. So, they are a little more strict than RCI. We plan to get an extra couple of keys, but is Carnival strict on who is which room if they find out? Will we get "busted"? (This is our first cruise on Carnival.)

• 2 months later...

We are considering cruising with my DS 16, DS 13 and DD 10. My DW and I would be in a balcony cabin and the 3 kids in an interior cabin across the hall. (Cruise is pretty full and there are no connecting room or adjoining rooms avaiable) Our concern is about others on the ship trying to get in their room at night. I am wondering if a baby monitor would work on the ship if we were just using it right across the hall.

Also isn't there some kind of travel door alarm, that you might use at a hotel ? I think you set it on the floor up against the door when you go to bed at night and if someone tries to open the door the alarm goes off. Of course, DW and I would have to remember to always call their cabin before we went in if we thought the alarm was in place.

Please let me know any other suggestions you might have. Or if you have had success with a baby monitor or door alarm. Thanks !!

Your kids are 16-10, why would be concerned that someone would try to get in at night? They can lock the cabin door. I'm sure they'll be fine. They are right across from you right?

apnep

Your kids are 16-10, why would be concerned that someone would try to get in at night? They can lock the cabin door. I'm sure they'll be fine. They are right across from you right?

apnep

I guess I am concerned because several people on the boards (including this thread) have mentioned that the some workers on the ship have a key to every cabin. Like this quote....

"It's not so much the trouble that the kids would get into, it's the other other people on the ship. There are literally thousands of people on a cruise ship. Many of them are drunk. Some are up to no good. The stateroom attendant has a key that allows them access at any time. "

Does the door have an extra lock that keeps stateroom attendants with a key from getting in when you have locked the cabin from the inside ? Or does the attendant's key override that lock ?

I guess I am concerned because several people on the boards (including this thread) have mentioned that the some workers on the ship have a key to every cabin. Like this quote....

"It's not so much the trouble that the kids would get into' date=' it's the other other people on the ship. There are literally thousands of people on a cruise ship. Many of them are drunk. Some are up to no good. The stateroom attendant has a key that allows them access at any time.[/i'] "

Does the door have an extra lock that keeps stateroom attendants with a key from getting in when you have locked the cabin from the inside ? Or does the attendant's key override that lock ?

To answer your question, it is like any hotel room, there is a safety latch that will prevent anyone from entering even with the key. You know, like one of those chain locks...only better. Does that make sense? I would be concerned about safety if my kids were younger. But you have a 16 year old with the younger ones and IF anyone tried to open the door, the safety latch would stop them, probably wake the kids and they are right across the hall from you. They could quickly dial your cabin if needed or yell and you'd hear them. I think they will be just fine. Don't worry. :)

Archived