Ship Eco Kayaking Tour

sirgeb27

Hi- I'll be in Grenada in February 2010 aboard the Serenade of the Seas and am interested in doing the ship's Eco Kayaking Tour (GD16). I've searched the Grenada forum and haven't found anything regarding this excursion.

If someone has done this, can you provide feedback on the tour?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the Eco Kayaking on the Millennium at the end of November. One thing to note is that this is not a moderate excursion as it was described in our excursion booklet. It was a windy day when we were there and it was 45 minutes each way from the beach in rough seas, so it's not for beginners. There was also nothing "eco" about this tour. We passed by some mangroves and the beach had a seaweed bottom but otherwise there was no dicussion about the eco system of the area. There are other kayaking tours that were available on different islands on our cruise, so I would recommend trying those ones before this one.

Thanks for the feedback Sweetpeas. The area you were in is called Grand Mal and is subject to some swells from the north west if the Atlantic is particularly stormy. These swells are why the sculpture park is showing some wear and tear too. It is a shame to hear about the lack of eco-education on the tour. For those who want eco-narration in their tour go with Grenada Seafaris. It is currently the only real eco-education type activity available on the water at present. It is a 2hr tour with 30mins on the sculture park but their main thrust is fast fun safe boat ride interspersed with excellent eco and history information from the guide.

• 1 month later...

@ horsebkrdrdeb: We are on the same cruise. We're doing Eli's Eco tour in Antigua (not with RCC). We've decided on A&E's Best of Nature tour for Grenada. We'll see how that goes... Since this looks to be your first post: I'll let you know there's a cruise critic group forum for our cruise. You can find it under RCCL Meet & Mingle boards.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the eco kayaking excursion through Celebrity last week. We enjoyed it but Sweetpeas is correct - it is not a "moderate" excursion. My husband & I are reasonably experienced & we struggled a bit with the combination of wind & current. But it's not a long trip to the island & the beach on the island is pretty. If you do it, be sure to go (with a group of people) on the path to the beach on the other side of the island. I didn't find out about it until we were ready to leave, so I only made it partway up the path. The beaches on the sea side looked really neat, though. The guides don't talk much but were generous with the water & pop.

My apologies I have been confusing the Eco-Kayak with the Glass bottomed Kayak. The Eco-Kayak is on the south coast and you probably rounded Clarkes Court bay to Hog Island. Can be beautiful to do if the winds are right - normally June through November.

West coast experiences 2 to 3 surges in a December-March season. They only last a couple of days but are a pain if they are the days you are in post. Grenada has had 3 so far this season which have caused a number of excursions to be canceled due to fairly large surge conditions.

Archived