New here...

Gaz42

Hi,

I've been reading for a few weeks now and am going on my first cruise with wife and 17 month old daughter this Saturday. We will be on the Magic and Im not sure what to expect. I'm not a huge Disney fan, wasn't brought up with it like most kids, but, I'm sure my daughter will love it and in the end, I'm sure I will too.

I have read that you can bring your own alcohol on board the ship as long as it fits in your carry on, so I plan to buy some beer and maybe a bottle of wine or 2. Now, am I able to purchase beer in Cozumel and bring back in carry on or is this just limited to what I bring on the ship at start of the cruise?

One other question, steak!! Im a big steak eater and everyone who I know who goes on cruises has said I can get one every night if I want...is this true? How about the seafood? I have looked at the menu at Palo's and don't quite understand much of what is served but have read that the food is great.

Sorry if these to question have been beaten to death here, I just can't really get straight answers from the search...maybe im just not that good at it.

Thanks again,

ps..we are 33 and 35 from Vancouver, BC

I'm pretty sure they have steak that you can order every night on the menu. Sadly it wasn't that great. This next cruise when they announce the specials I'm going to pick one of those. Everyone seemed to rave about those and I made the mistake of ordering non specials such as steak and was disapointed most of the time.

Hi,

I've been reading for a few weeks now and am going on my first cruise with wife and 17 month old daughter this Saturday. We will be on the Magic and Im not sure what to expect. I'm not a huge Disney fan, wasn't brought up with it like most kids, but, I'm sure my daughter will love it and in the end, I'm sure I will too.

I have read that you can bring your own alcohol on board the ship as long as it fits in your carry on, so I plan to buy some beer and maybe a bottle of wine or 2. Now, am I able to purchase beer in Cozumel and bring back in carry on or is this just limited to what I bring on the ship at start of the cruise?

One other question, steak!! Im a big steak eater and everyone who I know who goes on cruises has said I can get one every night if I want...is this true? How about the seafood? I have looked at the menu at Palo's and don't quite understand much of what is served but have read that the food is great.

Sorry if these to question have been beaten to death here, I just can't really get straight answers from the search...maybe im just not that good at it.

Thanks again,

ps..we are 33 and 35 from Vancouver, BC

Yes you can bring alcohol back from ports. am not sure of the exact amount and some alcohol is checked with security and given to you at the end of the cruise. But I dont think beer is one of them. Your Navigator paper will explain the limits and rules. You receive it the night before you arrive at the port. Plus there is a shopping seminar and they can answer all your questions too.

Yes you can get steak everynight. If you want a specific cut, be sure and tell your waiter the night before so they will have it for you. Usually on the menu they will feature one special steak per night. If you want you can ask for 2 steaks on your plate too.

My husband loves to go to the buffet for dinner (its not a buffet at night) and get their porterhouse steak. Its large and extremely tender.

They are open all but the first and last night from 6:30 to 8:30 P.m.

Palos is very good, although most i know prefer the brunch over the dinner. Be ready for a long evening though, it does take a couple of hours to get through all the courses.

Seafood, well you'll love the buffet. One day of your cruise will be seafood day. The buffet will be filled with all kinds of seafood. Be sure after you get to the end of the buffet line to look across the back. They have special foods set up there too. Many people miss that cooking area. In the mornings its omelets and then according to the theme of the day ir changes whats there.

Plus they always have some kind of fish at dinner. Yes you can have a steak and ask for a piece of seafood too, it can be the entire entree or just ask for the fish itself.

My family has done that before. Once we sat with a couple that ordered 2 full meals each, just to share and try different things. They left quite a bit but they enjoyed trying ALL the new foods, plus they had 4 desserts which they usually ate it all.:) So dont be shy about speaking up. Let your waiter know what you like and he will see to it that you get it.

If for some reason you get a lazy wairer who isnt interested in doing this, talk with the head dining room manager. I guarantee the next night you will have wha tyou want and he will check back often.

We had friends who had bad waiters once. I think he was having personal problems and just wasnt up to par. But that didnt take much to fix. It is rare.

Have fun,

Kathy

Thanks so much for your quick replies. I'm scared I'm going to put on 20 lbs during this trip, but, will be making pit stops at the gym...I hope!!

Thanks again,

Deck 4 has a walking track that goes all the way around the ship. It's approximately 1/3 rd of a mile. So after each meal, take a brisk walk. Then head back to Goofys galley for more ice cream:D

I have never gained a pound on my cruises. 5 pounds maybe. HA HA!

I am too active running all over the place after a meal instead of sitting down. Of coruse that makes you hungry again . LOL!

If you have any more questions please ask.

Kathy

You do not need to worry about gaining weight. You will walk it off around the ship. Steak it on the menu every night. The filet was good, Ribeye I could have soled my shoe with. That was okay but the service was the worst. Wait staff broke a soothie glass on my table in front of my grandson. Could have been a disaster. Be aware of the staff around you.

We found out on the last day you can order multiple items off the menu. They offer you a choice of two good appetizers, but you can have both if you like.

I literally gained almost ten pounds on the last cruise I took. This time I'm going to avoid drinking any pop/soda and avoid the room service menu. The room service menu is really good and when my wife told me it was all free I couldn't help but order a few things off it every night.

We just returned from the Wonder. There was a grilled sirloin on the menu the first night at Triton's, not very good. The other nights I didn't notice any steak, lots of seafood.

The filet at Palo's was outstanding.

We were never told about any specials in the regular resturants.

Archived