Verizon cell phone service on Mexican Riviera?

friedmom

Has anybody had experience using Verizon cell phones in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV? We have ordinary (not GSM) phones, and wonder whether they will work, and what it will cost to use them from the ports.

We have Verizion cell phones and they work just fine in the three port cities that you listed. Contact your local Verizion representative to enable International Roaming. This plan addition only has to purchased for the month you will be traveling and reduces roaming fees to 99 cents a minute. Additional information can be found at - http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/

Enjoy!

They will work from each port , but you will pay for international roaming rates which run around 99 cents a minute. They offer a monthly out of country rate at around $ 56 for the month. i am going next week and have it for this coming month and i get my e-mails also since I have a blackberry. I can send photos home also which is a nice thing to have !

Thank you both. I'm still confused about this process, however, since Verizon tells me that in Mexico I don't have to enable international calling and there's no monthly fee, just the 99 cents/min roaming if all you want is voice calling and texting. Did you actually get charged a monthly fee? And have to subscribe in advance of your trip?

Thank you both. I'm still confused about this process, however, since Verizon tells me that in Mexico I don't have to enable international calling and there's no monthly fee, just the 99 cents/min roaming if all you want is voice calling and texting. Did you actually get charged a monthly fee? And have to subscribe in advance of your trip?

I worked for vz customer service, the only need for inter global plan is if you are going somewhere like europe and they have a rental phone plan, also if you have a bb or smartphone getting the 64.99 Inter data pln, but then some phones give you the option of turning that off. also remember that if you only get these plans for the week they will only bill you a partial amount which means you will only get a partial allowance which most of the time causes overages. The safest is to have it bk dated for the month and set and order to get it removed on the first day of your cycle. if it's just a regular phone I would recommend updating your phone using *228 before you leave the port. On the ship it will cost you 2.49 a min and while at the ports it will cost you .99 a minute to make or receive calls, there is no such thing as IN calling while you are roaming on or off the ship, you wouldn't be surprised how many calls i had from cruisers saying well txt was included in my plan and they said M2M was free.

just call 611 from your phone while in the us. they will explain all charges. remember, however, your cruise is a vacation. i don't plan to use my cell phone while on my cruise. i suggest that you do the same. relax and enjoy the ride. things can wait till you get back to the usa. bon voyage:o

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the text charges would be? I do not currently have a text plan with my Verizon, I think I am charged $.20 per text. I am asking as my son (11) has just figured out how to text from his i touch (he does not have cell phone). He thinks it would be a good way to keep in touch. However, I don't want to come home to a huge cell phone bill. I will limit him to texting me once a day. How does the ship roaming fees work?

We leave February 6th - can't wait to get out of Iowa weather!

Thanks!

Iowa gal

This was a timely post. Just called Verizon today to check for myself. There is no monthly fee for roaming charges - you just have to enable it before you leave.

While phone calls from the ship are $2.49/minute, from the ports they are .99/minute.

Texting is the same on or off ship. .50 to send and .05 to receive. Photo texts are .50 to send and .25 to receive.

I called from Mexico via my LG Dare. I didn't enable anything beforehand. I was charged around .99/minute (didn't check exactly, but was no more than that or 1.50 because my fees were pretty low when I got back). Texted as well (rates were as above). Use my phone all the time in Canada and have never enabled anything beforehand. I wonder if it's really worth it to make any changes if you're just making a few short calls.

• 8 months later...

I found this thread while searching information on Verizon cell phones in Mexico. Can anybody update this thread regarding cell phone use? We will be on a Panama Canal cruise with stops in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Guatamala. I don't plan to use my cell very much and I will call Verizon for info, but I was hoping some of you could post your recent Verizon cell experiences. I have a regular cell phone, not a gsm or smart phone. Thanks.

Archived