Insurance

CRUISING71

Hello,

I went to insuremytrip and there are so many different kind of insurance company out there. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,

Tibbie

I've used both TravelEx and TravelGuard in the past. But I've never had to make a claim, so I can't tell you how good they really are.

You do need to figure out quickly if you (or your traveling companions) have any pre-existing health conditions that would cause you to cancel the cruise. If you do, you need to buy insurance within 10 days (althought TravelEx gives you 21 days) of booking. Otherwise, you can buy insurance right up until final payment.

I'd suggest you shop around on insuremytrip (and there are other sites), and when you find something you think you need, then call the company, talk with a representative, and work through the policy. You may find you need something more..or less..than what you picked out, and the rep should be able to help you sort through that.

Hello,

I went to insuremytrip and there are so many different kind of insurance company out there. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,

Tibbie

Trip Insurance

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers very low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and as of 7/01/2009 includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is a good deal financially (only) if you're in upper 60's or over, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger, and generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit (CSA and HTH allow you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health/Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed cruise for flite delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You need to select Policy based on your specific personal conditions. IMO you should really get a Policy with "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" if only to make potential Medical Claims go smoother. If you're over age 65 or so, the cruiseline Policy is the better financial deal. If you're traveling with kids, consider TravelEx and TravelInsured as they insure kids free with insured adults. If Military and concerned with cancelled leave, consider Patriot TRIP. IMO CSA Freestyle is a good package with high coverages and some nice benefits.

ken

Hi,

The only reason we are buying the insurance is his mother is really old and not in good health.

We are both healthy and it is home port...so no delay concern or missed flight.

We just want something cover if we cancel due to death in the family. Other than that...there are no reason to keep me from going.

Hi,

The only reason we are buying the insurance is his mother is really old and not in good health.

We just want something cover if we cancel due to death in the family. Other than that...there are no reason to keep me from going.

I interpret that your Husband's mom is not traveling, but that you're primarily interestd in insurance that would cover Trip Cancellation if something were to happen to her (or another family member)?

If so, checkout the Carnival Berkely Policy if you and Hubby are over age 62 or so, otherwise checkout TravelInsured (Lite). In either case read the Policy to verify what family members are included for Trip Cancellation coverage.

ken

Our first two cruises, we drove to the port, and the cruises were short duration and inexpensive. So we bought an inexpensive policy just to make sure we had health insurance, since my health insurance doesn't provide coverage out of the country.

Next cruise we have to fly across the country, and the cruise is more expensive. So I will be looking at policies that will cover me for canceled cruises, trip interruptions, etc...... I guess you need to decide what coverage you need, then start comparing.

Hi,

Very good idea to buy the insurance. We were on the Valor 11/8 sailing and late on the 10th we received word that my 94 yr. old mother-in-law had died. We had insurance but haven't heard back yet what will be covered. We had to fly home from Belize and airfare per person was $730.00 per person, transportation to the airport for 5 of us was $150.00, then when we got to the airport we had to pay 2 different fees to Belize totaling $25.50 per person. Almost $800.00 per person to get home and of course our return airline ticket back from Ft. Lauderdale and our cruise. I sent all of our documentation registered mail and I know they received everything a week ago but haven't heard anything yet.

We have always used Access America. We had one very small claim with them once (torn luggage, they paid) and one VERY LARGE claim about 6 years ago (they also paid promptly).

We too thought we were very healthy and it was just in case our elderly inlaws were to get ill while we were gone. WRONG! I had West Nile virus and had to leave the cruise early to return home. Illness and accidents can happen to anyone!

Archived