Sometimes I wonder..

Bridge Maven

It appears that not all corporations have identical policies about relationships between employees, or with their clients.

If you read the tipping thread you will see an example of a post from someone who claims to have knowledge that other passengers do not have because of her friendship with a crew member. This is not an isolated incident, but one of many posts just like it from this particular poster, as well as a number of other cruise critic posters.

What kind of information would a crew member share that was so sensitive it would compromise the cruise industry? I don't get the reason crew members should not have friendships with passengers if they so chose. In fact, I am pretty sure they are encouraged to be outgoing and friendly with the clients. Part of customer service to make us feel at home and relaxed. If a friendship or relationship is started, what is the problem with that?

What am I missing here???? Is there some inherent jealousy of those who seem to know more about cruising because they have a friend in the industry???

What kind of information would a crew member share that was so sensitive it would compromise the cruise industry? I don't get the reason crew members should not have friendships with passengers if they so chose. In fact, I am pretty sure they are encouraged to be outgoing and friendly with the clients. Part of customer service to make us feel at home and relaxed. If a friendship or relationship is started, what is the problem with that?

What am I missing here???? Is there some inherent jealousy of those who seem to know more about cruising because they have a friend in the industry???

I'm in agreement with you on this issue. It's not like a crew member is giving out "company secrets".

We've cruised exclusively with Celebrity for the past 11 yrs. During that period we've been privy to some advance information that the cruiseline was going to disclose in the near future. Was this information considered sensitive? I highly doubt it. And was I "bragging" in disclosing it here on Cruise Critic? Well, that wasn't my intention whatsoever. I was just sharing some advance info in a forum that was interested.

In the academic world a professor is not suppose to date his/her students. In the business world a person is not suppose to date co-workers or clients. So are passengers who forge special friendships with crew jeopardizing their jobs?

Whenever I read a post from someone who has inside information because of their friendship with Celebrity's crew I can understand why so many companies have such policies.

It appears that not all corporations have identical policies about relationships between employees, or with their clients.

If you read the tipping thread you will see an example of a post from someone who claims to have knowledge that other passengers do not have because of her friendship with a crew member. This is not an isolated incident, but one of many posts just like it from this particular poster, as well as a number of other cruise critic posters.

hey I say my info comes from management and employees. I also follow to some extent the lawsuits that employees bring against cruise lines. I also said that I ask the employees and see if their answers match other info that I already received elsewhere. I do challenge what is clearly BS. There is a lot of it. You know if you ask a guest what he paid for the cruise you may or may not get a truthful answer.

I complain to the cruise line when I think they do something wrong. I get responses from management.

I do think you post inconsistant info. Your first post on this thread says that its a violation a rule that doesn't hold water---who told you this and on what cruise line.

there is absolutely not one iota of evidence that management employees or the cruise line takes one cent from tipping pools. One guy said some employees told him that they do. Cruise employees sue at a drop of a hat and there is so much turn over that they are generally unafraid to bring actions after they leave. There has NOT been one such lawsuit reported in any of the maritime law firms that specialize in suing the cruise lines. This is public not confidential info. There are some lawsuits against cruise lines for room and board deductions. Its not the same thing.

Is "Romancing the Crew" the sequel to "Romancing the Stone" :)

The cast list might be pretty long for the "Romancing the Crew"

What do you mean by "inside information"?

Where Dragan, the waiter, has hidden MR.Smith´s, booze!

In the academic world a professor is not suppose to date his/her students. In the business world a person is not suppose to date co-workers or clients. So are passengers who forge special friendships with crew jeopardizing their jobs?

There are indeed firms with such policy!

One party has to leave the company!

The knowledge that these posters claim to have from their friendships with crew have nothing to do with anything that would enhance their cruising experience, According to their posts they know about financial and policy issues between the cruise line and crew, which has no affect on me whatsoever.

The knowledge that these posters claim to have from their friendships with crew have nothing to do with anything that would enhance their cruising experience, According to their posts they know about financial and policy issues between the cruise line and crew, which has no affect on me whatsoever.

So, if it doesn't affect you, and the cruise line has no issue with friendships or relationships or whatever you call it, why bring the issue (or non issue) to these boards?

As an aside, I sleep with my boss, and have all the skinny on the business.:rolleyes:

Maybe I have it all wrong, but isn't this Board primarily available for information? Some information may not affect you...but it may have an impact on other's. So I have to ask you, why is posting ANY information that could be of some significant value be considered bragging?

Whenever I read a post from someone who has inside information because of their friendship with Celebrity's crew I can understand why so many companies have such policies.

Hmm...the original post seemed to be asking whether passengers who had relationships/friendships with a member of the crew might be the cause of the crew member being fired. Maybe I am getting too deep into this but was the REAL question more about the propriety of such a relationship? It almost seemed to imply that it was wrong (for whatever reason).

I think it's wrong only IF the relationship is one of power or control (boss/employee) or hurtful to either party or his/her other commitments.

Also, there is a BIG difference between a (platonic) friendship and a (sexual) relationship. The former is quite appropriate and enriching while the latter has many pitfalls for both participants and statistics show that the VAST majority of those do not end on a happy note for either or both but much more often for the passenger. In my earlier reply to this post I mentioned that the passenger is always "one of many" for the crew so the playing field, so to speak, is not even.

After reading the prior 25 posts I got to wondering if this topic is really necessary ?? Especially on CC.

Think about it. Who cares ?

Why is it even brought up at all ??? And why post it on the Celebrity thread (or any other cruise line thread) ??

Are some of you thinking what I'm thinking ????

BaDH

After reading the prior 25 posts I got to wondering if this topic is really necessary ?? Especially on CC.

Why is it even brought up at all ??? And why post it on the Celebrity thread (or any other cruise line thread) ??

BaDH

LOL...Very likely

I think it's wrong only IF the relationship is one of power or control (boss/employee) or hurtful to either party or his/her other commitments.

Also, there is a BIG difference between a (platonic) friendship and a (sexual) relationship.

ARE you certain abou this?!!!!

The former is quite appropriate and enriching while the latter has many pitfalls for both participants and statistics show that the VAST majority of those do not end on a happy note for either or both but much more often for the passenger. In my earlier reply to this post I mentioned that the passenger is always "one of many" for the crew so the playing field, so to speak, is not even.

SO how many does the crew have approx. on a cruise?! And How many does the staff have?!

BaDH

It is on the Celebrity board because I have read many posts on this board from people who claim to have inside knowledge about Celebrity from the close friendships they have developed with crew during their Celebrity cruises.

I held managerial positions in the corporate world prior to owning my own business and know of quite a few situations where people nearly lost their job because of their relationships with co-workers or clients. I also know of a few situations where college professors were pressured to find another job because they dated a student.

Since a number of people have responded that their company has no problem if an employee dates a co-worker or a client I realize that some businesses have these policies and others don't.

ARE you certain abou this?!!!!

SO how many does the crew have approx. on a cruise?! And How many does the staff have?!

The difference is quite obvious, don't you think? If one blurs the line between the two, and that does happen, then it would fail to fall into one of the categories and become part of the other. So yes, I am quite certain there is a difference.

I was not referring to the number of friends the crew have on any particular cruise. To what I was referring was the fact that the crew meet (literally) thousands of new people every week or two so while to a particular passenger an encounter with any one crew member is very likely a new and unique experience, that crew member has most likely had the opportunity for similar encounters many times in the past and will have this opportunity again many times in the future. This is exactly what a paragraph in an article (to which a link was posted on this thread) referred to when it said: " But whether in or out of uniform, these guys are still crew members who sail on the love boats week in and week out, and you can bet your bikini that nine times out of ten, you're like the motto stamped on U.S. coins-- "e pluribus unum", which is Latin for "one of many." "

Below is the link from this thread where this passage was written:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/single/crewromance.cfm

The difference is quite obvious, don't you think? If one blurs the line between the two, and that does happen, then it would fail to fall into one of the categories and become part of the other. So yes, I am quite certain there is a difference.

I was not referring to the number of friends the crew have on any particular cruise. To what I was referring was the fact that the crew meet (literally) thousands of new people every week or two so while to a particular passenger an encounter with any one crew member is very likely a new and unique experience, that crew member has most likely had the opportunity for similar encounters many times in the past and will have this opportunity again many times in the future. This is exactly what a paragraph in an article (to which a link was posted on this thread) referred to when it said: " But whether in or out of uniform, these guys are still crew members who sail on the love boats week in and week out, and you can bet your bikini that nine times out of ten, you're like the motto stamped on U.S. coins-- "e pluribus unum", which is Latin for "one of many." "

Below is the link from this thread where this passage was written:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/single/crewromance.cfm

Sorry, it was actually a joke.I wanted to add this,but you can add it to a certain timeframe.

I agree with you there is a difference!

Than you much for taking the time!

In the corporate world many companies are concerned about sexual harassment law suits so they have policies to protect themselves. This usually doesn't stop co-workers from dating each other but when they do they are usually very discrete about it.

I agree with your take about relationships between passengers and people who work for the cruise line and don't think there is anything wrong with casual friendships. However, it becomes an issue, in my opinion, when passengers brag about having a special relationship with people who work for the cruise line which makes them privy to confidential information, as well as other benefits. That is why I cringe whenever I read posts to that effect on cruise critic.

I think you need to realize that in some very rare instances the social circles of some are limited to message boards and on board ship experiences. I don't internalize too much of what I read as I realize that to be the case from time to time.

you can bet your bikini that nine times out of ten, you're like the motto stamped on U.S. coins-- "e pluribus unum", which is Latin for "one of many."

I know it's not your foible (and instead is from the article linked), but this is a terrible translation of the phrase. Literally, it means "Out of many, one," referring to the UNITED in United States of America.

I know it's not your foible (and instead is from the article linked), but this is a terrible translation of the phrase. Literally, it means "Out of many, one," referring to the UNITED in United States of America.

Yes, I knew it was not the correct translation but I decided to just let it stand just as it was stated in the article in order to get my point across.

I happen to think that the Latin phrase is quite profound and aptly describes the most wonderful and unique melting pot that was, is, and I hope with all my heart, will always be, America.

Archived