Do they allow Kids INTO Mexico without a passport?

freedomhoneymoon09

I know that everyone suggests a passport in case of an emergency. I know that kids need a passport if we need to fly back for some reason but....will they let the kids get off the boat into port with just a passport card? We are going on a closed loop cruise and I want to make sure that we will be able to enjoy our ports and not get stuck on the ship.

Thanks

I know that everyone suggests a passport in case of an emergency. I know that kids need a passport if we need to fly back for some reason but....will they let the kids get off the boat into port with just a passport card? We are going on a closed loop cruise and I want to make sure that we will be able to enjoy our ports and not get stuck on the ship.

Thanks

If you're doing a closed loop cruise, you only need their birth certificate for cruise check-in. No one in Mexico checks for passports, it's the U.S. Customs that cares upon return and the cruise lines just make sure you have the proper ID before they'll let you on the ship.

yep, no problem in Mexico without a passport. A cruise ship card is, in many ways, more respected than a passport in Mexico. We did have a friend who was turned away at the USA departure port trying to get on a Mexican Riviera cruise ship without a passport, just last spring, no refund, sad

• 4 weeks later...

I would double check that a birth cert is only required. We are going in March 2010 and we were told we needed one for our 9-year-old. We just card the card which is for travel to Mex, CN by car or boat only. Much cheaper than book. I also believe having one is a good thing when traveling out of the country.

You can always check here if in the states.

http://travel.state.gov/

I find it surprising that a cruise ship would even let you on if you didn't have a passport or at least the passport card. Think you better check with your TA and/or the cruise company and find out their policy before you get to the port. Mexico could care less if you have a passport or any other type of I.D. But it's the U.S. Customs that will ruin your trip if you try to re-enter without proper I.D.

Archived