Verizon cell service?

familytrippers

Has anyone had any experience using a verizon cell phone on the ship (I'm on Star Princess) and and / or in South American ports (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay)? I have a Blackberry that is global and will officially work, but I'm wondering how the quality is? I need to keep in touch with my kids back home, thanks!

Has anyone had any experience using a verizon cell phone on the ship (I'm on Star Princess) and and / or in South American ports (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay)? I have a Blackberry that is global and will officially work, but I'm wondering how the quality is? I need to keep in touch with my kids back home, thanks!

$2.49 per minute for calls ON THE SHIP IF the ship has cellular at sea.

$.50 per text

$.02 per KB for data-this is where it gets REALLY expensive with a Blackberry because it is constantly connecting searching for emails, attachments, etc. I can't find the post right now, but someone used their blackberry as a modem to connect their laptop to watch a football game. Something like $600 for a 3 hour game.

We have over 60 Verizon phones in our company. I travel frequently to SA (primarily Chile and PEru) for business. My international Verizon phone works fine in Chile, although the price is NOT cheap. I use my Mobal phone much more in Chile as it is cheaper than using the Verizon phone. Argentina is $4.99 per minute with a Global Phone. Peru runs on CDMA, so any old Verizon phone with international roaming works. No need for a GSM/global phone in Peru.

Great am, Does anyone you know use a Verizon "Escapade", and if so how do they rate the service an cost? Thanks as always for your steadfast help and advice.:)

There are 2 or 3 of them in our company phone count. Cost was cheap for an international phone-like either free or less than $50 with an additional 2 year contract. We are constantly trading in phones on Verizon's upgrade plan, so I am sure that is how we got them. They are not an international phone I personally would pick but if you just need a way to make or receive a call, you will be fine. According to one of our guy's who has one, it works fine in the US-he hasn't taken it out of the country. Only problem he says-it is "kind of flimsy" and the battery runs out really fast. And it doesn't come with an adapter set for international charging.

As posted previously, using a Verizon international phone in SA is NOT cheap. There are cheaper ways-unlocked GSM phone you buy on Ebay and purchase SIM cards in each country is the cheapest but technologically, the most complicated. Mobal, Roam 4 Less, Telestial and others are considerably cheaper if you just need an international phone.

Good information that synchs with our needs and experience. Especially the facts about the upgrade plan and level of use. As several cruise passengers have noted, primary use will be for some sort of emergency, and also for on the spot coordination with private excursion operators. Our phone came with the the international adaptor, so Verizon has listened to those who earlier wanted the adaptor but didn't receive it. Also we accept that its not as rugged as some international phones, but then again our expected level of use will be much less than business uses. Battery life seems better than previous stateside only phone. The confidence we gain from your info, not only regarding phone service but also trip planning and vaccinations, is good and we wish you the best for the Holidays and the future beyond. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have always found the absolute least expensive way to call back up north is to find and use an international calling card. typically works out to 10 or 5 cents a minute. for instance www.seacard.net is a card the crew prefer and use inside the Valparaiso cruise terminal. It has access numbers that can be used in selective cities as you visit south america.

On another board a fellow cruiser was stating how the call centers are in expensive as well. If you are always planning to call when in port then these would be your best options. Only hassle is if you are calling on the west coast and having to deal with a 5 hour time zone issue.

Archived