DIY Shore Excursions

mll1013

For the major AK cruise ports, are there some good do-it-yourself excursions to get away from the crowds and keep some money in the wallet? We think it would be cool just to walk around town, check out the history, see some museums, and even find our own little piece of AK to hike away from the more touristy parts of the ports.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have on DIY activities in any of the ports!

:)

You can rent a car at all the ports. My first time, I made the mistake of not renting a car because the rental prices were sky high compared to what I'm used to.. But really, as far as shore excursions go, it's actually pretty inexpensive--especially with a party of 4. There's certainly plenty of things you can do with it, away from the crowds. Only exception _might_ be Seward.

If you haven't already, I would definitely go to the library and check out Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond and Fodor's and Frommer's Alaska and Cruising Alaska. I too live in Seattle and am planning an Alaskan cruise. These books are invaluable in tips and ideas for seeing the ports of call without spending a fortune on the ships shore excursions.

Unfortunately, we aren't bringing the kids with us as we our going for our anniversary and it falls during school, but maybe next time!

Also I've seen deals for 3rd and 4th passenger free on select Alaska sailings on HAL, you just pay taxes and port fees. Can't say where I've seen them as it violates the TOS of the board, but you could probably google it.

Have fun planning your cruise!! I'm driving DH crazy right now with ours!

In all the ports in Alaska, you can, of course, get off the ship and walk around. There are many things to do in each port. 90% of them involve shoppint :D but there are also other interesting things. If you are fit and mobile there are places you can hike. BUT ... in the summer, there is pretty much NO place in most of these ports away from the tourist crowd!

In Juneau, you can take a shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and hike any of the fine hiking trails from the Visitor Center.

In Skagway it would be possible for a good walker to walk through the five or six blocks of town and a few additional blocks to the Gold Rush Cemetary. Busses will arrive periodically and spend 10 minutes and leave, but mostly it will be all to yourself. There is a nice hike back to the waterfall.

In Ketchikan, a good walker (a VERY good walker) can hike to the Totem Heritage Center and up (up up) over the Married Man's Trail to Creek Street.

In Icy Strait Point you can walk in to town and visit The Office Bar for fresh crab and local beer.

BUT -- there are sooooo many other wonderful things to do in Alaska. You will be missing gold mining, gold panning, dog cart rides, shows, wildlife cruises, and flightseeing by float plane or helicopter and probably a bunch of others I left out. Many of these are good ship's excursions and some are also available from good independent operators. Most of them are not inexpensive but really add to the Alaska experience.

We are NOT good walkers, and prefer a relatively modest and comfortable experience. You can see some excursions we have enjoyed in our 8 cruises to Alaska at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived