Questions about RCCL's pregnancy policy

stan1541

After diligent searching on Royal's site, you can find their policy on pregnant travelers. How does the line treat you if you didn't know this information (Their 24 week policy!!:0 ) in advance and just showed up at the dock without a letter but within the time frames set forth in their policy.

I ask this as we are going on a family cruise and my Sister is going to be 23 weeks when we go. If she booked this herself, there is ZERO chance she would have found out about this policy as she is flaky and wouldn't have bothered looking it up.

If she showed up, without a notice, would they just deny her boarding?

First of all, I have to laugh because when you wrote, "if you didn't know this information," I thought, "I can see you not knowing you're a couple of weeks along, but I think most people will know if they're 24 weeks pregnant, haha." (Unless they're on that TLC show, "I didn't know I was Pregnant!")

ANYWAY, I've heard that they're VERY strict about this and without that letter there's no way to prove she's 23 weeks (good to go) or 24 weeks (I think that's where the cut off is). ANYONE can be 24 weeks and simply say, "Please believe me...I'm really 23 weeks." The ship apparently can't handle a woman in distress in her third trimester so it's unhealthy all the way around.

Luckily your sister has you to tell her to get a letter! :)

Please urge your sister to reconsider going on the cruise. A baby born at 23-24 weeks has a good chance of survival if born near a good NICU - which they do not have on a cruise ship! (or in most of the ports, probably).

I considered a "babymoon" cruise at the same stage of pregnancy and was talked out of it by my OB/GYN for these reasons. In the unfortunate event that your sister goes into very premature labor, her decision could literally have life or death consequences.

Ignorance of a policy does not make one exempt from a policy. I can't imagine someone spending all that money on a vacation and not looking up a policy for something like this. Furthermore, I personally wouldn't risk having my baby in Jamaica or the Cayman Islands (just random examples). Some woman gave birth on a plane last week. I can't even imagine! These policies are in place for our safety.

Archived