Snorkeling with turtles

cancan

I have snorkled serveral times in the carribean and haven't seen any turtles.

Doing the ports Princess Cays, St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Curacao, and

Aruba in Jan. Which of these ports or snorkeling sites would give me the best chance?

Thanks.

I have seen a number of turtles in the Caribbean, but the largest by far was off the coast of Jupiter Fl.

Turtles can be found in many places, but they do tend to avoid human contact for obvious reasons.

We have land vacationed at several places in the Caribbean and the only reason we vacation there is to snorkel. That being said, the one place where we consistently see turtles is St. John - but, of course, there is no guarantee - and they seem to come close to shore more often in the early morning or mid-late afternoon.

There are ferries from St. Thomas to St. John. Once at Cruz Bay in St. John, there are open air taxis just hanging around to take you places. Ask to be taken to Caneel Bay (a resort). There is a gatehouse at the entrance, but you just have to say that you are there to go to the main beach and get something to eat. The main beach is Caneel Beach and that is right in front of the lobby. Facing the water, walk to your right as far as you can comfortably go. Enter the water and snorkel around the bend. Eventually you will end up at Scott Beach, which typically has the most turtle sightings. If you don't feel like snorkeling around the bend or snorkeling back, just get out of the water at Scott Beach and walk over the slight hill to the main entrance. Taxis are always waiting in the parking lot to go back to the ferry area. I wouldn't attempt to do this on your own if your time in port is short. However, is your ship happens to offer an excursion drop off in St. John, so you are guaranteed a pickup time, that would work for you.

IMO don't even both going to the over-hyped Trunk Bay. Yes, it is a gorgeous beach, but IMO the snorkeling is horrible due to extreme overcrowding which often results in destruction of the area.

I JUST REMEMBERED. We did take a S. Carib cruise and took an excursion in Barbados through the ship to snorkel with turtles. And, in deed, due to the boat feeding the fish, etc., several good-sized turtles did show up for the whole time we were there. Just keep in mind that many ship excursions are packed with people and you will be fighting with them to see the turtles.

I have snorkled serveral times in the carribean and haven't seen any turtles.

Doing the ports Princess Cays, St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Curacao, and

Aruba in Jan. Which of these ports or snorkeling sites would give me the best chance?

Thanks.

Lots of turtles at at St Thomas's Buck Island. Here's one of the snorkel operators (their number is legion).

http://www.captainnautica.com/trips.php

I went with Capt Nautica in Feb 2008. These were my review comments (weather conditions were at fault for the poor viz):

Feb 3 – St Thomas: Ship’s snorkel with Capt Nautica . http://www.captainnautica.com/feedback.php

A high speed (35 knots) pontoon boat takes us to Buck Island. First stop is over freighter wreck, visibility is very poor, few fish and less coral.

Second stop is on lee side of island, Turtle Cove. Visibility is much better. Did a swim-along with a turtle family, also Stingrays and a Barracuda.

I have snorkeled with turtles in three places - Hawaii on Maui by black rock, at St. Johns (we took a sail boat over from St. Thomas), and on Barbados. We went out with Silver Moon Sailing on Barbados, and turtles are almost guaranteed - they feed the turtles. My wife had some big ones eating out of her hand. Also saw a turtle diving in Dominica, but he was swimming off as he saw us.

~Mike

I have snorkeled with turtles in three places - Hawaii on Maui by black rock, at St. Johns (we took a sail boat over from St. Thomas), and on Barbados. We went out with Silver Moon Sailing on Barbados, and turtles are almost guaranteed - they feed the turtles. My wife had some big ones eating out of her hand. Also saw a turtle diving in Dominica, but he was swimming off as he saw us.

~Mike

Hi MPM, what was the name of the sailboat from St. Thomas? Where did they take you to snorkel? We've got one chartered in April, and really hoping to see a turtle but know our chances are slim to none.

Agree with Buck Island. Please be aware there is a huge fine if you touch a turtle! By touching them, you injure the natural coating they have which prevents barnacles from attaching.

100% correct. However, the dumba** Silver Moon snorkel guide at Barbados encouraged people to "pet" the turtles. :rolleyes:

Archived