Missing Great Stirrup Cay

eggybear54

We missed GSC on our Sky cruise 2 weeks ago. I was up very early as we approached the island. But after sitting there for an hour or so, we could literally feel the waves getting rougher. Eventually, fog and drizzle settled in so heavy we could no longer see the island. I knew before they made the official announcement we would not be able to go ashore. Normally, another sea day would really have been a disappointment on a short cruise, but since this was a new ship for us, it gave us a chance to explore. We thoroughly enjoyed our day (minus the rain) and actually got to do some of the onboard activities (revised daily) we wouldn't have it we had gone ashore.

not looking forward to GSC...hubby is so he can have a beach day..but would LOVE to stop in KEY WEST instead.....

I'd love to have this substitution on one of the two cruises I've got coming up in 10 short days! :D Key West was so nice when the Dawn stopped there in 2003. I'd love to re-live some of those memories! :)

Merry Christmas

In 2005 when the Star Princess missed Princess Cays due to the weather (since it was the Hurricane Wilma mystery cruise)... we were going to slow and bobbing all over the place! It was insane and if they had sped up we would have been moving a lot better cutting through the waves as opposed to bobbing in them! We had a Carnival ship on both sides of us and a Royal Caribbean was off in the distances. I thought we were going to have a pile up of cruise ships at one point!

Hi CruisinMaterial: I might have been on one of those Carnival ships! I was on The Imagination during Hurricane Wilma when our 4-day cruise turned into a 6-day cruise. I remember seeing other ships off in the distance too.

Hi CruisinMaterial: I might have been on one of those Carnival ships! I was on The Imagination during Hurricane Wilma when our 4-day cruise turned into a 6-day cruise. I remember seeing other ships off in the distance too.

You might have been one of the ships! Small world we CCers share! :D Hurricane Wilma was interesting... we left Fort Lauderdale when she was barreling down on it. When we got back it was unreal the destruction that happened to there. In one fell swoop all the clubs I knew in Fort Lauderdale were gone. :( Not knowing where we were going was fun I thought but a lot of people onboard got hopping mad over it. Let's head into a hurricane because we're supposed to go to the Western Caribbean... Um... NO! :eek::eek:

December 12 was our 3rd sea day for a 7 day cruise. Everyone was wondering why since the waves didn't seem bad, we had no motion of the ship all week. Again we were told it was dangerous for tenders to the shore. But nothing fun to do that isn't bingo, the spa, or other money makers for them. Specialty resturants could have been 2 for 1. Key West would have been great as well as anywhere east to visit. Pretty bad when shuttleboard is sold out. Then you know folks are bored.

Archived