Insulin Pump and Cave Tubing

t12young

My wife has an insulin pump and it is not supposed to be submerged in water. She can detach the pump for a couple of hours, but not any longer. How long do you actually float in the water and do you have somewhere you can store things you don’t want to get wet?

my husband & i were on this excursion a few years ago & it ran about 1/2 hour tubing, plus a good 1/2 hour walking through the rain forest & rocky streams. our's was with carnival & it was fantastic. if she leaves her pump in the bus, that might be too long for her to be without insulin. if she brings it along, she'll have to put it in a waterproof bag of some sort. if i remember correctly the walk after the tubing wasn't very long. my daughter wears a pump & i wouldn't want her to miss out on tubing, but it's risky when you're not wearing it, especially on vacation. hope this helps.

We left everything (passports, personal belongings) on the bus in November when we went cave tubing It was very safe. They actually had the bus doors locked while we were tubing and the driver was watching. I don't think they would chance a bad name for the tour if things were being stolen.

Just got back and booked directly with Jaguar Paw. Our "bus" was actually a private taxi with only 4 of us in it. It was locked with the driver nearby at all times. Our guide in the caves also had a dry bag that you could put things in. If you aren't going with Jaguar Paw the other guides might not all have dry bags, so go to REI and buy a small one. No problem at all.

Archived