Belize in 2 weeks

matt690

Hi,

We will be going to Belize for our first time in 2 weeks. We are looking for something relaxing and/or fun to do, as it is our first time going there. I have heard that this is a port where we should consider just staying on the ship. Are there any near by bars or shops? I once read about a fun/good bar to hang out at for a little that is close to the ship. Anything good to recommend?

Thanks.

Nothing "near" the ship. It is about 5 miles out in the ocean. At the port there are a few shops and bars. We had lunch and drinks at the Wet Lizard. It's a lively place. Belize City is a city that some do not feel they want to walk around in. We did look around a little on our tour, but it was away from the port area. Most go tubing or to one of the snorkel/dive locations or a trip to the ruins. Since it is your first time there don't stay on the boat. We did the Captain your own boat tour thru Coral Breeze and had a great time. There was a recent post about a problem with some of the boats on that tour, so you would have to do a little research for yourself.

Have a great cruise.

Don't stay on the ship, Belize is a beautiful country. If you like to snorkel, go on an excursion (either ship or on your own) to snorkel the reef. It's the most beautiful place I have ever snorkeled. If you are a beach bum, go to Bannister Island (We did it with the ship cause they pick you up and drop you at the ship and you don't have to go to the port area if you don't want). If you just want to go someplace to eat and drink, go into port, get a cab and ask the cabby where he would suggest. We have had the best meals doing that in many countries and on many islands. Get out of Belize City if you can, and see how beautiful this country really is. Oh, and it is the only English speaking country in Central America, so no need to worry about communication.

What I saw of Belize, out in the country, was beautiful. The city does not appeal to me. I visited the Belize Zoo, which I enjoyed. The country is very poor and the city reflects that.

BTW, to the previous poster: Belize is not an island.

Thanks Gablin...I wanted to say the same thing. And Belize,the country, is beautiful. If you are only basing your opinion on the city of Belize, then you are correct, it's not beautiful. But if you got out of the city, it is lovely. Lovely enough that we are considering retiring there!!

Archived