any advice on transfer from IAH to Galveston port

GS913

I need Galveston transfer info other than ship transfers. I am arriving day before ship departure so I can't pre-book RCCL's transfers (although I can go back to airport and purchase the day of cruise) but my problem is on my return trip home. My flight out of IAH-Houston leaves at 11:49am and the ship's transfers don't take anyone before 12:30pm flights. Taxis are what the cruise line suggest - does anyone know of other shuttle options that take you from the Galveston port to IAH airport?

11:49 am flight is really pushing your luck. It is at least 1-1/2 hours to IAH. We have driven it in a little over an hour, but that was on a Sunday leaving at 1:00 pm and knowing exactly which route to take - 45 North to 59 North, at 70 MPH. It is 70 miles to the airport. You must be off the ship by 9AM and have cleared customs to make it.

11:49 am flight is really pushing your luck. It is at least 1-1/2 hours to IAH. We have driven it in a little over an hour, but that was on a Sunday leaving at 1:00 pm and knowing exactly which route to take - 45 North to 59 North, at 70 MPH. It is 70 miles to the airport. You must be off the ship by 9AM and have cleared customs to make it.

This info is right on the money! I live 70 miles from IAH too and when we are leaving for a flight we leave about three hours ahead of time. Of course, we have to park, etc. But, I wouldn't book any return flight post cruise before 2 p.m.! My sister cruised with me and I booked her flight at 2:30 p.m. and that she was flying out of Hobby. I probably erred on the side of caution, but she made her flight in plenty of time.

If you want that early a return flight, you might have to fork over for a taxi. OUCH!!!:(

And be sure to hand-carry your luggage -- don't set it outside the cabin the last night.

And pray there is no fog or anything to delay you on the return.

Even if you were debarking (I always love word) on a day other than Sunday, it would take too long to get to a car rental place and fill out the paperwork.

If your TA booked this flight for you, I'd put it on him/her to tell you how to get to the airport. If you booked it yourself, well, next time you'll know. Good luck to you. Don't let it ruin the trip.

One more thought. How many people? If it is just 2, then join the roll call if you have not already done so, and see if anyone else has an early flight. You might save money booking a limo, especially if you can get 6 or 8 people to go. Or maybe somebody has already booked a limo and has room for you. Who knows? It never hurts to ask.

Archived