Booking Med Shore Excursions 75 days out

boulders

I've never sailed DCL before. I'm looking at the 5/15 Med sailing. However, I'm concerned about getting the shore excursions that I want at the 75 day mark. I know that previous cruisers will be able to book their excursions at the 120/105/90 day marks.

Does anyone have any feedback about the likelihood that I will get the shore excursions that I want? Does everyone go in and book them as soon as they can? Have you missed out because others with higher priority booked them before you were able? Thanks in advance.

I've never sailed DCL before. I'm looking at the 5/15 Med sailing. However, I'm concerned about getting the shore excursions that I want at the 75 day mark. I know that previous cruisers will be able to book their excursions at the 120/105/90 day marks.

Does anyone have any feedback about the likelihood that I will get the shore excursions that I want? Does everyone go in and book them as soon as they can? Have you missed out because others with higher priority booked them before you were able? Thanks in advance.

I think you'll be okay...the April/May sailings are not heavily booked and may be half booked even at the 75 mark! I can't speak for many, but we're sailing on May 5th and we're not doing a single excursion through Disney...we are doing it all on our own, hiring a driver in Naples to do Pompeii and Amalfi Coast (that you can book now on your own)...we booked ours last month, we might hire a driver for 1/2 a day in Rome...going straight to the Vatican on our own from the port...the remaining ports we are keeping a little handbook that gives specific train numbers/bus transfers etc. and just doing it on our own.

HTH!

Tara

• 2 weeks later...
I think you'll be okay...the April/May sailings are not heavily booked and may be half booked even at the 75 mark! I can't speak for many, but we're sailing on May 5th and we're not doing a single excursion through Disney...we are doing it all on our own, hiring a driver in Naples to do Pompeii and Amalfi Coast (that you can book now on your own)...we booked ours last month, we might hire a driver for 1/2 a day in Rome...going straight to the Vatican on our own from the port...the remaining ports we are keeping a little handbook that gives specific train numbers/bus transfers etc. and just doing it on our own.

HTH!

Tara

Hi!

We're booked on May 15th and we'd like to do shore excursions on our own. Where did you find information to book excursions?

Thank you.

Regards

Pilar

I'm also on the May 15 th cruise. Check out the Port of Call boards further down on the main screen. Lots of info for private tours in all the ports. I splurged on Rome and Naples with private tours. But, with 4 people, it really isn't much more, if any, that you would spend on a whole day ship tour.

Check with your TA. There was a Romance at Sea package that, in addition to some spa treatments, allowed you to make you r reservations either 120 or 105 days out.

Thanks. Is there any info about that on the website (I looked but couldn't find) or do I have to call?

We were in the same situation as you in '07 when we cruised with Disney. We booked all of our choices with no problem. The excursions were GREAT that we took and we even had a PRIVATE showing of the Sistine Chapel after hours through Disney. Only a small number of people in the room. Outstanding. We loved it so much we are returning this spring with Disney. Also we booked the couples spa and there is nothing better than sitting in a hot tub cruising off the coast of Italy. And the massage was wonderful too.:)

My family (myself, husband and two grown daughters) are going on the May 15th cruise to the med. We are looking into a driver in Rome tour. Go to driverinrome.com and look at it. We would like to get with another group of 4 or more to make the cost cheaper. Anyone want to join us?

We are cruising the May 15th as well and I have never scratched my head more on planning excursions for cruises. We are in a suite so we are able to book the excursions early but I have no idea what to look into so it looks like I will be leaning on the travel agent. I have been curious about the adventures by disney option but have not compared costs. My TA previously recommend a private tour of Rome and has a tour company that she usually uses in Rome and states it is always highly rated and affordable. The cost for some of the excursions on the disney board is well.. jaw dropping. If you havent hit the roll call for this cruise, stop by.

Rash, I've been hanging out on the roll call over at the dis. I've done an ABD tour to China, so I'm very familiar with the type of experience it will provide. ABD has an exceptional product. My sources tell me that ABD is sold out for the August cruises and is 50% sold for this sailing. The pricing doesn't work for my family of 4, but if there fewer of you, it may work. I believe the cost is $2399 per adult.

I've booked private tours in Rome and Pompeii, both with the same company which is highly recommended on the Italy boards. These two tours together will cost almost $2K, but with 4 of us, it becomes a more reasonable expense.

The tours that I'm looking to do with DCL are some of the less expensive, kid-friendly ones, in the other 5 ports.

Rash, I've been hanging out on the roll call over at the dis. I've done an ABD tour to China, so I'm very familiar with the type of experience it will provide. ABD has an exceptional product. My sources tell me that ABD is sold out for the August cruises and is 50% sold for this sailing. The pricing doesn't work for my family of 4, but if there fewer of you, it may work. I believe the cost is $2399 per adult.

I've booked private tours in Rome and Pompeii, both with the same company which is highly recommended on the Italy boards. These two tours together will cost almost $2K, but with 4 of us, it becomes a more reasonable expense.

The tours that I'm looking to do with DCL are some of the less expensive, kid-friendly ones, in the other 5 ports.

I didn't know that DIS had a board. I will have to check it out. We are in the same boat as you I believe. The itinerary for ABD misses many of the sites we wanted to see (pompeii and florence) so we are looking at private tours. We found a site yesterday after reviewing the board, rome in limo (RIL) that everyone on this site seems to love. My TA ironically has another tour operator, limo in rome (sounds alike but different group) that has similar prices and she says is very good. All in all, we will pay 1/4 for all our tours in each port on our own than with disney's excursions or ABD. Many of the tour operators also offer discounts for multiple tour excursion bookings. We were just quoted 10% off for booking 3 with them (naples, rome, la spezia). We are certainly getting excited and now I need to look closer to the other excursions in Corsica and Malta.

I didn't know that DIS had a board. I will have to check it out. We are in the same boat as you I believe. The itinerary for ABD misses many of the sites we wanted to see (pompeii and florence) so we are looking at private tours. We found a site yesterday after reviewing the board, rome in limo (RIL) that everyone on this site seems to love. My TA ironically has another tour operator, limo in rome (sounds alike but different group) that has similar prices and she says is very good. All in all, we will pay 1/4 for all our tours in each port on our own than with disney's excursions or ABD. Many of the tour operators also offer discounts for multiple tour excursion bookings. We were just quoted 10% off for booking 3 with them (naples, rome, la spezia). We are certainly getting excited and now I need to look closer to the other excursions in Corsica and Malta.

You'll find the dis roll call under Cruise Meets which is within the Cruise Line forum. Great minds think alike with regards to the private tours. ;) We're doing the kid-friendly excursions in Rome and Pompeii with RIL.

Archived