GTY Cabin assignment/dining question

blk1964

Hi all

Im sure this has been discussed, but Im in cruise board overload, trying to read every one (TRipAdvisor, DIS boards etc). Im booked for the four night Wonder leaving 2/7 I have a deluxe family stateroom with verandah, category 4. First, has anyone stayed in one of these category of rooms? How are they? Secondly, I dont have a cabin number. I think its this site that has a database of cabin numbers and reports? Id love to check mine, but I dont have a number. Ive seen on some sites that if you have a GTY that means you are guaranteed that category of room or better. And how some book category 12 or 11 hoping to get bumped up. Im thinking its fairly UNlikely Im going to get bumped up to a suite, which I think is the next category up from mine. So should I leave it at GTY, or call and ask for a cabin assignment? A friend told me she asked for an upgrade at check in and for about 500 bucks more, she upgraded to a suite. We are basically AT capacity budget wise, I dont want to spend 500 more, Im fine with the cabin category we have, but is it worth asking? Do they EVER upgrade you for free?

My next issue is our dining room seating. We are at second seating. The problem is that my husband is diabetic. If he eats that late, its going to mess with his meds and levels. I know he CAN eat earlier with room service or alternate dining stations, but the point is for him to be able to enjoy dinner with the family, not have to eat in some corner somewhere or in the room. Ive called and the first seating is booked, but they are waitlisting me and have asked for medical information. Disney is very good at accomodating medical issues, I would just like to make sure I get this taken of so we can look forward to the trip.

My husband is also diabetic. Twice we had late dining and wait listed for early but nothing ever happened. So upon boarding you can go to one of the clubs (it will be listed on a paper they give you at check in) to take care of this.

They changed us immediately to early.

If you have others in your party make sure they know that you all want to be together and they will do their best to make it happen.

Sometimes they can do the switch right then, other times they will call you back and leave a message on your phone as soon as they make the switch.

Out of 20 cruises we have always got our early dining.

For dining: if you get a medical form from the doctor that he needs to eat by a certain time, I'm sure you'll get the seating you need.

For the Sateroom: Yes, you can get bumped up to the next category for free. They rarely bump up as much as you read about on all the boards. It's a small percentage of cruisers that read forum boards.

You can check at the port and see if the suite is available. If so, they will give you a price.

You didn't mention which ship or days you're cruising. If you are on a 3 or 4 day cruise I wouldn't pay $500.00 to upgrade. You are hardly in the room.

The data base of rooms is on the other site.;) You may not have a number, but at least you can read up on certain cabins or even view a deluxe room if needed.

Thank you tneah! I agree on the upgrade for 500. We are on a four night Bahamas trip on the Wonder. Im perfectly content with the category we have booked, but HEY, they want to bump me for free, Im all over that. I just dont think its gonna happen ;-) From a business point of view, why would they bump me for nothing, when 1) They can likely sell that upgrade, most folks dont mind paying and a lot of people got the kids sail free deal on these sail dates, so they can afford to upgrade and 2) Im a first timer. You would think free upgrades go to whatever club they have, for multiple time cruisers, the golden ears or platinum goofys or whatever they call it.

Archived