Maybe formal nights are coming back

cruzincurt

The "how much should I dress up" posts seem endless. It's your vacation. Dress up. Be casual. Your choice.

And, if your want more formal nights, bet you town has a lovely country club you could join. Some of us don't want to pay the excess baggage charges to bring that stuff. And, at the country club, bet you can also get a table for 26 and "meet new people" and share the stories of your lives.

Do what you wish. But don't judge me or others for doing what we wish.

Happy holidays.

I honestly think that it is the apparel industry that is behind these articles about people getting more dressed up. I've read for at least 5 years that workplaces were getting away from "business casual" (more men wearing suits and ties, etc.), and I haven't observed that to be true in reality.

Omigosh! I just googled Spanx. I had no idea women were stuffing themselves into girdles again. Breaks my cold, dark feminist heart, it does.

Kinda cold tonight, maybe I'll burn a bra in honor of days gone by:D

STOP!

Oh, my, my the Wondra gel bra works miracles.

We are talking from bowling pins to Bombay mangoes.

It's like brand new chandeliers lighting a haunted house:D

It's about whatever makes you look or feel beautiful:D

I honestly think that it is the apparel industry that is behind these articles about people getting more dressed up. I've read for at least 5 years that workplaces were getting away from "business casual" (more men wearing suits and ties, etc.), and I haven't observed that to be true in reality.

Well, it has been true for my husband. Twenty years ago when he was a humble computer repairman,he wore suits and ties and ruined more white shirts with grease from the computers than could be believed. I had always felt it was unfair he had to dress that way, but they were expected to look professional for their clients. Now he is an IT person, when he first went into this area of work,15 years ago, dress was still dress pants, a white shirt and tie. Then, about 10 years ago dress was khakis and button down shirts, and occasionally he was allowed to wear jeans on a Friday. Now, jeans are allowed everyday.

The "how much should I dress up" posts seem endless. It's your vacation. Dress up. Be casual. Your choice.

Some of us don't want to pay the excess baggage charges to bring that stuff.

Fly Soutwest...two bags--100lbs of clothes at no extra charge!;)

It's not my clothes that weigh a lot, it's the shoes:eek:. I know I don't need 10 pairs of shoes for a 7 day vacation, but I just can't stop myself!!

And, if your want more formal nights, bet you town has a lovely country club you could join. Some of us don't want to pay the excess baggage charges to bring that stuff. And, at the country club, bet you can also get a table for 26 and "meet new people" and share the stories of your lives.

Do what you wish. But don't judge me or others for doing what we wish.

Happy holidays.

I started this thread to talk about the trend I'm seeing in my business, architecture/engineering. Young people are starting to dress better, especially our new hires in their 20's. Our 30 and 40 yo's still try to come to work on Fridays in torn jeans and sandals. Nice clothes take up as much space as grungy clothes. Not everyone needs to wear a suit to work, but nice pressed clothes are making a comeback IMO. I think this trend will spread to all social events in general.

We never designated "casual Fridays" in our office, people just assume they exist or are some "right". I have to visit my clients every day of the week, so I treat every work day the same and expect the same for my people that have client interaction. You can do what you wish, you just won't being doing it in working in my profession.

Recent authors have been commenting that in this era of business downturn, those companies and workers that project a quality image and provide quality service will be the ones to survive.

Guess we all pack differently. I love formal nights:) and pack formalwear

and it never costs me more money. As for pleasing someone

else's ego? I dress for myself:D

Ditto.

I don't give a hoot what the dress code is or what someone else chooses to wear (well, baseball caps in the dining room rub me the wrong way). I'll dress for myself. I don't need someone else to tell me what is appropriate or not.

Resort casual in the main dining room and formal for those special nights. It's my choice....and is part of the cruise experience for me.

My luggage is a 22" roll-on-board and a small, well organized carryon...and somehow can manage formal wear for 2 nights on a 7-day cruise....and, if I'm flying an airline that charges for luggage - I can carry my bag onboard the flight.

I hope so. We do dress "formal" on formal nights and I tend to dress up on most other nights as well as does my DH.

Heck, my grandson cruises with me once a year...since he was 8 years old.. Last cruise he was almost 18. He wears either a tux or a suit and tie on formal nights and, when he chooses to eat in the main dining room, he's dressed in slacks and a shirt....and shoes.....

It has not damaged his psyche in anyway....promise.....:D

That's...discouraging. Hopefully the trend won't last long. Buncha folks trying to be something they're not. It's like 1980s Reagan Youth excess all over again.

It's simply a matter of being appropriately dressed for the occasion. Many folks learn that from their parents....

Omigosh! I just googled Spanx. I had no idea women were stuffing themselves into girdles again. Breaks my cold, dark feminist heart, it does.

Kinda cold tonight, maybe I'll burn a bra in honor of days gone by:D

Ah, a "sister" of the bra burning days!!!!!

Remember when a woman dare not go anywhere without matching hat and gloves....shoes and purses in matching material?

The dreaded girdle..and the torturous panty girdle....and "hose" with those darned garter attachments....bra's built by architects to hold the bosom higher than the armpit and pointed towards the person you're talking with..

YIKES.

I tossed them all in the early 60's....

That doesn't mean that I don't go "formal" on those special nights...it just means I'm more comfortable.....:D

Spanx and the "wonderbra" has set the women's movement back about 50 years or so....

Ah' date=' a "sister" of the bra burning days!!!!!

Remember when a woman dare not go anywhere without matching hat and gloves....shoes and purses in matching material? [b']No, I was born in the mid 60[/b]

The dreaded girdle..and the torturous panty girdle....and "hose" with those darned garterattachments.... those worn at the right time are sexy!

bra's built by architects to hold the bosom higher than the armpit and pointed towards the person you're talking with..from bowling pins to Bombay Mangoes

YIKES.

I tossed them all in the early 60's....I was born in the mid 60 and developed late so wasn't into bra until the late 70's

That doesn't mean that I don't go "formal" on those special nights...it just means I'm more comfortable.....:D Being comfortable can wait, it's about looking good. Ha, but some have already waited.

Spanx and the "wonderbra" has set the women's movement back about 50 years or so....[/quote]

Yeah but still an UPLIFTING experience;)

Well, it is in some places. My DH has gone from wearing khakis and golf-type shirts to a suit and tie. He didn't change jobs or company. The dress code changed. Besides, some people have taken "business casual" to a place that it should have never gone. That may have been what ruined it for people who are now required to dress up more for work now.

Ditto.

I don't give a hoot what the dress code is... I'll dress for myself. I don't need someone else to tell me what is appropriate or not.

Apparently some people do need guidance, hence the need for a dress code, and seat belt laws, and speed limits, and red lights, and auto insurance, don't sit on the railing, no spitting, no smoking.....:rolleyes:

Apparently some people do need guidance, hence the need for a dress code, and seat belt laws, and speed limits, and red lights, and auto insurance, don't sit on the railing, no spitting, no smoking.....:rolleyes:

Recently went to Christmas Open House at the Govenor's mansion. Everyone was dressed in nice clothing.....men in sportcoats and ties at least, woman in smart outfits, little girls in holiday dresses and little boys dressed up as well. In walks a guy in blue jeans, sneakers and a baseball cap....that he didn't even have the sense to remove inside. He stuck out like GIANT sore thumb. How can someone be so clueless?

Well, it has been true for my husband. Twenty years ago when he was a humble computer repairman,he wore suits and ties and ruined more white shirts with grease from the computers than could be believed. I had always felt it was unfair he had to dress that way, but they were expected to look professional for their clients. Now he is an IT person, when he first went into this area of work,15 years ago, dress was still dress pants, a white shirt and tie. Then, about 10 years ago dress was khakis and button down shirts, and occasionally he was allowed to wear jeans on a Friday. Now, jeans are allowed everyday.

Funny. My DH is a computer scientist and has worked for the same company for 24 years. He has never-not once ever worn a a tie to work. He wears dress pants and a button up shirt (no white ones) and is one of the better dressed people at his job.

Ah' date=' a "sister" of the bra burning days!!!!!

Remember when a woman dare not go anywhere without matching hat and gloves....shoes and purses in matching material?

The dreaded girdle..and the torturous panty girdle....and "hose" with those darned garter attachments....bra's built by architects to hold the bosom higher than the armpit and pointed towards the person you're talking with..

YIKES.

I tossed them all in the early 60's....

That doesn't mean that I don't go "formal" on those special nights...it just means I'm more comfortable.....:D

Spanx and the "wonderbra" has set the women's movement back about 50 years or so....[/quote']

Too funny . . . I am also a "child" of the 60's. I was a flight attendant from 1967 to 1987 and I so remember those "girdle checks" (I'm 5'8" and weighed 116 pounds . . . why I needed a girdle is beyond me). We also had hat checks (remember those cute little "scoop hats" stewardess wore in the 60's), white glove checks (why did a stewardess need white gloves), nail check (my nails were never polished and I always got in trouble) and so many other "checks" . . . drove me crazy. And this is when "knee highs" hadn't been invented . . . full body panty hose were mandatory. Of course we also didn't wear slacks then so with our little knee high uniforms . . . we had to wear panty hose (which were a lot better than the hose and garters we used to wear when I started flying).

Now . . . as a sixty-three year old woman (next month) . . . I guess I'm still a child of the 60's. I still wear formal attire on "formal or elegant" nights and cruise casual on all other evenings. Maybe I'm still worried about a supervisor removing me from a flight because I wasn't picture perfect. Ugh!

I'm an attorney now and still wear "uniforms" . . . suits but . . . they all are pant suits and I wear nothing but knee highs . . . :p

Archived