Extended Customs Inspection

SparkysWife

I tried to do a search, but could not find anything. I seem to recall reading that every 90 days, an extended customs inspection must be done on each ship. I'm hoping there is a running list of these- the last thread I remember reading was many months ago.

Specifically, I am wondering when Glory last had one, if they do in fact exist. We sail on 1/17 and I would like to be prepared if embarkation and/or debarkation may be delayed. Thank you in advance for any help!

Ashley

On my first cruise ever on the Pride out of Long Beach we were victims of an extended customs search. I don't recall off-hand what time we arrived at the dock, but we stood in line 2 1/2 hours outside before we even reached the beginnings of check-in, and there were 2 line-ups. NO one was getting on. It was quite difficult, as my mom was 78 and can't stand for a long period of time.

I am assuming you mean the Coast Guard Compliance/Safety Inspection not ICE. They are required to be done "within 90 days". They can be pulled anytime without notice. Rarely is notice given to the Captain that an inspection will be held. I have been on several commercial merchants ships when the local Coast Guard Commander decides that today is a good day to hold an inspection. The will meet the ship at the dock and come onboard to do their thing. If everything is in order they can be completed in a couple of hours. If there are glaring problems I have seen the inspections take several more hours to complete. Attitude has a lot to do with how it goes.

On my first cruise ever on the Pride out of Long Beach we were victims of an extended customs search. I don't recall off-hand what time we arrived at the dock, but we stood in line 2 1/2 hours outside before we even reached the beginnings of check-in, and there were 2 line-ups. NO one was getting on. It was quite difficult, as my mom was 78 and can't stand for a long period of time.

We hit crew immigration once off the Paradise in Long Beach. Took forever. Last time in Long Beach the crew also had theirs. The crew had the line but the Americal pax were able to walk off. No idea about the non-American pax. The crew that I spoke with says it happens every 3 months or so.

Nex time ask for wheelchair assistance for your mom.

I would really doubt that inspections would be announced ahead of time! Or, kept to exactly "90 days".

Our business is inspected by both the State and APHIS "at least once a year". We never know when and can't even narrow it down to a certain month. Or, that it will only be once a year.

We have no problem with this as we know it keeps everyone in this business "honest"!

Granted, we are not in the cruise business, but I can relate...............

These inspections aren't listed...they happen unannounced - and rightly so.

The purpose is to catch those folks who are in violation. They wouldn't notify them first....

It's just part of the cruise experience. Once in a while, you'll probably get caught up in one...and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Just relax, find a comfortable chair and read a book......:D

Thank you for the responses so far. However, what I am thinking of was some sort of inspection that did seem to be every 90 days. IIRC, Host Mach had calculated it to be on one of the Cruise Critic Group cruises months before the cruise actually happened (but that was a different ship).

This is just a vague recollection of something I read, so I of course may be very wrong! But, just wondering if anyone had any insight and/or remembered that thread. Thanks again!

Thank you for the responses so far. However, what I am thinking of was some sort of inspection that did seem to be every 90 days. IIRC, Host Mach had calculated it to be on one of the Cruise Critic Group cruises months before the cruise actually happened (but that was a different ship).

This is just a vague recollection of something I read, so I of course may be very wrong! But, just wondering if anyone had any insight and/or remembered that thread. Thanks again!

From a US Dept of Justice website (footnote at bottom)

http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/INS/e9913/i9913p1.htm

8 At 90-day intervals, INS conducts a complete inspection of the ship’s crew. Within the 90-day waiver period, INS inspects only crew members who are joining or leaving the ship’s crew.

It's also described here on page 26:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/vessel_guide.ctt/vessel_guide.pdf

Archived