Disappointed with Carnival Capital One Rewards Program!

cmptrwiz

We recently received a letter from Carnival Cruise Lines informing us of the termination for the Capital One Fun Rewards Cruise program. This is the program for every dollar spent on the credit card you get a “cruise point”. After 86,000 points you can get a free cruise (inside cabin). We have been saving our points to take a free cruise. We currently have 72,402 points not enough for a free cruise. The program will end effective Feb 28th, 2005 and we have until May 1st, 2005 to book a cruise and go in the future to use our “rewards” voucher. You can also get $1000 off “extra savings on best cruise offer” for 46,000 points and $500 off for 23,000 points. Now the problem. The cruise we are taking is about $1600 before tips and airfare. After talking to Carnival today I was informed that we can’t combine the “Extra Savings”reward together for a $1500 savings. They said we could use 700 points and get a fruit basket or bottle of champagne in addition to the “extra savings”. They also said we could use inside to outside upgrade for a 7 day cruise for 10,000 points except we are taking an 8 day cruise and so that wouldn’t apply! I am very confused because that is combining rewards. Because the program has terminated there is no way we could earn an additional 14,000 points by Feb 28th, 2005 and take the free cruise as we originally planned to do. On the phone today they kept saying the fun rewards terms and conditions form we received says we can’t combine the extra savings. I have read and reread the forms and brochures we received and there is nothing about combining extra savings. It does say they can discontinue the program at any time, but nothing about combining rewards! Carnival says that Capital One won’t allow them to combine the “extra savings” vouchers. When I contact Capital One they say they would be happy to give me two vouchers because that is what I have earned, but carnival won’t apply them both to one cabin. It is only my wife and me that are going on this cruise so we won’t need an extra cabin! I feel like I am being ripped off! I am open to any suggestions or ideas, but please don’t suggest I give you my $500 voucher to help me out on your cabin! I might be willing to sell it to you on a cruise that hasn’t been paid in full yet! They have a new “rewards” credit card now and my points will rollover if we don’t use them, but the program isn’t nearly the same as the Capital One program. My understanding is when Carnival presents the vouchers back to Capital One they receive the money from them. We signed up for the Capital One credit card after we had taken a cruise on the Paradise 3 years ago because we were so happy with Carnival. I guess in the future I will get a “cash rewards” credit card then I can cruise when I want, where I want and with whatever cruise line I want without all of the special rules! Any ideas or suggestions?

Cmptrwiz

Paradise 2-2002

When I booked my first cruise using points I was also told you could only use one offer per booking. I had enough points for $500.00 certificate and $200.00. They would only let me use one. I have 14,000 points now as I just used 46,000 for my daughters honeymoon. I don't want to book as I already have two cruises scheduled and I don't want another credit card. I already have them for Celebrity and NCL. I guess I just will lose them. Good luck as it is sad you have saved all of those points up and can't get what you wanted.

We recently received a letter from Carnival Cruise Lines informing us of the termination for the Capital One Fun Rewards Cruise program. This is the program for every dollar spent on the credit card you get a “cruise point”. After 86,000 points you can get a free cruise (inside cabin). We have been saving our points to take a free cruise. We currently have 72,402 points not enough for a free cruise. The program will end effective Feb 28th, 2005 and we have until May 1st, 2005 to book a cruise and go in the future to use our “rewards” voucher. You can also get $1000 off “extra savings on best cruise offer” for 46,000 points and $500 off for 23,000 points. Now the problem. The cruise we are taking is about $1600 before tips and airfare. After talking to Carnival today I was informed that we can’t combine the “Extra Savings”reward together for a $1500 savings. They said we could use 700 points and get a fruit basket or bottle of champagne in addition to the “extra savings”. They also said we could use inside to outside upgrade for a 7 day cruise for 10,000 points except we are taking an 8 day cruise and so that wouldn’t apply! I am very confused because that is combining rewards. Because the program has terminated there is no way we could earn an additional 14,000 points by Feb 28th, 2005 and take the free cruise as we originally planned to do. On the phone today they kept saying the fun rewards terms and conditions form we received says we can’t combine the extra savings. I have read and reread the forms and brochures we received and there is nothing about combining extra savings. It does say they can discontinue the program at any time, but nothing about combining rewards! Carnival says that Capital One won’t allow them to combine the “extra savings” vouchers. When I contact Capital One they say they would be happy to give me two vouchers because that is what I have earned, but carnival won’t apply them both to one cabin. It is only my wife and me that are going on this cruise so we won’t need an extra cabin! I feel like I am being ripped off! I am open to any suggestions or ideas, but please don’t suggest I give you my $500 voucher to help me out on your cabin! I might be willing to sell it to you on a cruise that hasn’t been paid in full yet! They have a new “rewards” credit card now and my points will rollover if we don’t use them, but the program isn’t nearly the same as the Capital One program. My understanding is when Carnival presents the vouchers back to Capital One they receive the money from them. We signed up for the Capital One credit card after we had taken a cruise on the Paradise 3 years ago because we were so happy with Carnival. I guess in the future I will get a “cash rewards” credit card then I can cruise when I want, where I want and with whatever cruise line I want without all of the special rules! Any ideas or suggestions?

Cmptrwiz

Paradise 2-2002

I have used many rewards an I have pretty much tried it all. The fine print does state it cannot be used or combined with other rewards.So if you have 1 $500 reward,you cannot combine it with a $200. Even if you could, you still have to pay the deposits in cash,and the fine print also talks about taxes and fee's which they have not enforced. If you get the new Seamiles card they will roll over your points to them and you will need 90,000 points instead of 86,000.Seamiles is slow to call back but a free reward is a free reward with a little grief.For 70,000 points you can get a 5 night for free.You also can use the points for a free 5 night and pay the difference for a 7 night.This is better than you taking $700 off.

Steve

I was so happy when I got my points card, but now I have mixed feelings.

CARNIVAL VICTORY 3/17/2002

CARNIVAL VICTORY 9/8/2002

CARNIVAL SPIRIT 2/28/2003

CARNIVAL DESTINY 10/12/2003

CARNIVAL VICTORY 3/14/2004

CARNIVAL VALOR 1/16/2005

Make sure that you can sell any unused voucher. When MBNA had their program, they would mail you a paper certificate that you in turn could give to a travel agent. When I redeemed my points and asked if I received a certificate in the mail, they told me no and instead gave me a long confirmation number that I have to give to Carnival when I call them. Make sure your name is not attached to it, because then nobody else will be able to use it.

Try selling the extra $500 coupon on ebay. I bet you would recoup most of the money back!!

They don't give you a coupon.They give you a redemption number. You must use this number.If it were sold,I would assume that the Cap1 member would have to book it for someone and get the deposit from them as well.I would not trust it.

Steve

Beehee I am pretty sure you could combine the "best savings" and a 3rd or 4th guest. They just won't let me combine the "best savings" together!

Cmptrwiz

paradise 2002

Thats correct.You can choose 1 item from each reward catagory.The free cruise and 3rd/4th is not allowed or should I say not worth it.I tried it. You end up paying the taxes and fee's for all so dollar for dollar its poor.Remember...you must pay the deposit!!!! They get you because you will need a quad and quad deposits are $250 per person versus $100 per for a double.

Steve

Steveaaa, I checked with both Carnival and Capital and I can let another family member use it or I can let anyone else use it related or NOT! So I guess I could sell it to someone! I also checked about using it for the 5 day and paying the difference and they said no way!

I'm still working on it!

Cmptrwiz

Paradise 2002

Steveaaa, I checked with both Carnival and Capital and I can let another family member use it or I can let anyone else use it related or NOT! So I guess I could sell it to someone! I also checked about using it for the 5 day and paying the difference and they said no way!

I'm still working on it!

Cmptrwiz

Paradise 2002

Sure you can, you can give it oryou can sell it, but you are going to redeem it for them.

The reward level for a 5 night is 65,000 points for 2 people inside or 75,000 for an outside.Are you saying they won't let you take a 5 night or they wont let you redeem a 5 night on a 7 and pay the difference?

Did you think about using the free companion option? 7 day is 43,000 inside or 50,000 outside. Then charge another 598 points worth then the 23,000 extra points you have and get $500 off....

End result $1600 cruise cost - free companion =$800 -$500 off = $300 (deposit would be $500) so add $200 more = $500 out of pocket

If you did it the way you wanted

Free $1600 cruise but you pay the deposit of $250 each =$500 out of pocket

Same thing:D

Steve

JerseyGirl3

I am requesting the $1000 "best savings" and I am wanting to combine it with an additional $500 "best savings" as well. They will let you combine it with anything else fruit basket etc but not 2 "best savings"

Thanks,

Cmptrwiz

Paradise 2002

I'd like to thank all of you on the boards, because of all of you encouraging me to be persistant Carnival finally relented and agreed to accept both of my "Best Savings." As per some of you advice don't accept the standard answer someone gives you when you call. Sometimes you have to work your way up the ladder to someone who can make decisions as they need too based on an individuals needs or situation! The only problem is while hashing out the details with Carnival the cruise price went up. Oh well that is life.

cmptrwiz

Paradise 2002

Archived