Patati Patata and La Banquise in Montreal

MalibuCA

I am putting together my own "foodie" walking tour in Montreal. We are planning to make a stop at Patati Patata or La Banquise to sample poutine. Do these restaurants serve poutine 24/7? Even mid-morning? That's the time that I think we will be in that area, and I don't want to miss the poutine! Some restaurants in my hometown would only serve fries (our poor substitute for poutine!) during lunch and dinner. Will I encounter a time restraint trying to get poutine? Also, do you have a website for Patati Patata and La Banquise?

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get to Montreal and EAT!

Shelley:)

La Banquise is open 24/7. Try to avoid it late on weekend nights as it can get quite crowded! I would suggest ordering a classic poutine from La Banquise if you never had "real" poutine before (they have something like 20 varieties with a bunch of toppings ranging from coleslaw to merguez sausages...)

Patati Patata is a small restaurant with just 19 seats. The nice thing is that everything is fresh, but getting a seat can be a problem. Open normal restaurant hours and often closed for two weeks in the summer.

La Banquise is a much larger establishment with at least 25 poutine variations in two sizes (regular and large). Open 24 hours a day just in case you need a poutine at 3:30AM. There are times that there is a line.

These are just of some of the restaurants touted with the best poutine in the city. Maamm Bolduc, La Paryse, Pied du Cochon (with duck foie gras and friend in duck fat, of course), Bistro La Cervoise, Pub McCarold and L'Exception are a few that are well known for their poutine.

I personally wouldn't bother with either one. Who wants gourmet poutine?:confused:

The best poutines are at the hole in the wall hot dog joints or even the typical chains known for steamy hot dogs. Lafleurs or La Belle Province both fall into the latter category.

Archived