Rough Seas out of San Francisco

Gmeg

We are on the Navigator leaving SFO on 26 May to Alaska. One of our friends did this route last year on Silversea and told us recently that the journey out of SFO can be very rough. Anyone have any experience of the coast from SFO.

Sailing against the predominant current from San Fran to Alaska can be a very rough ride.

We did this sailing several years ago on a ship that was much larger and theoretically more stable than the Navigator and it was extremely rough. Many people spent the day in their cabins, very few at dinner and seasickness bags strategically located throughout the ship.

Even I, who happens to have never before sufferred from motion sickness, got a little bit queasy that night and my wife was miserable.

So go prepared with whatever motion sickness remedy works for you.

By the way that one bad day did not ruin our cruise in any way, just added a new experience to talk about.

Have a great cruise to a beautiful destination.

We are on the Navigator leaving SFO on 26 May to Alaska. One of our friends did this route last year on Silversea and told us recently that the journey out of SFO can be very rough. Anyone have any experience of the coast from SFO.

My wife & I took the Mariner out of San Fran to Alaska on May 14 a few years ago on a 10-day cruise and we were fine. But we had heard the stories that it could be rough, too. We had some mild back-and-forth rocking before we hit the Inside Passage, but nothing that caused seasickness.

Just hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

Garry

Yes, be prepared. It can be fairly smooth but it can also be quite rough. We sailed from SF to Alaska a few years ago and caught the tail end of a storm and had unbelievable seas and swells. Others have little if anything. But storm or no storm, be prepared because the waters can be rough on the trip up.

Archived