Snorkeling off seven mile beach

Boatingmom

If you have snorkel gear, is there anything to see off seven mile beach?

Many years ago (around 1989) we stayed at the Treasure Island hotel which was at the south end of the beach. There was a reef area right out from the hotel then, but at the end of our stay (unfortunately not sooner) we went to Eden Rock and was amazed at how much more there was to see there. That was our very first experience with snorkeling. A funny side story is that we were disappointed that the beach at the hotel was so rocky before discovering it was a reef and what that offered.

There is also a well known snorkeling spot at the far north end of the stretch called Cemetery Beach which has an excellent snorkeling reputation - although we've not seen it. Other than these, I've not heard of many areas at the beach that are known for snorkeling as much as it's pretty sand beaches.

We always have either snorkeled at the Eden Rock area - or just to the south of there, or at one of the reefs in the sound on a Stingray City tour. Personally, I'd stick with these or one of the other well known snorkeling spots.

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE.I;m jUST STARTING TO PLAN, AND FOR THE LIFE OF ME CANNOT DECIDE WHAT TO GO IN gc. i;VE ALREADY SWAM WITH THE RAYS AND MY HUSBAND HAS ALREADY BEEN TO 7 MILE BEACH. wE'LL HAVE A 10 & 13 YO WITH US. aLREADY HAVE A BEACH DAY,SNORKEL DAY, & KAYAK DAY PLANNED ON OTHER ISLANDS. mAYBE A JET SKI DAY?

A bit of advice gleaned from my recent cruise: I had planned for us to go to Eden Rock to snorkel, but the seas were too rough and it was closed, and we also had to anchor at a different place that was not within walking distance of Eden Rock. I was so disappointed... but luckily I had also learned about Cemetery Beach, which was just an eight-dollar cab ride from the ship (probably less from the usual dock, which is closer). It was BEAUTIFUL. One big advantage over Eden Rock is that it has a lovely sand beach, where Eden Rock is just that... rocky. It's not too much of a swim out to the reef.... first you will swim over a rocky field with several fish and may not be too impressed, but once you pass that and get to the reef structures, the fishies are everywhere! Take something to feed them for sure... I took a baggie of cereal and was absolutely swarmed at one point. A don't-miss, in my opinion.

One note about Cemetery that I forgot... it is at the north end of touristy Seven Mile Beach, but there are NO amenities there. I actually really liked this because it meant that we had the beach pretty much to ourselves, only a few other small groups were there. We took some food and drinks and were fine, but if you're looking for cabanas and umbrella drinks, you'll want to look elsewhere.

I did have my own snorkeling gear, but we were informed by a worker at the pier that if we did need to rent gear, we could still rent it at Eden Rock and take it to Cemetery becase they just rent it out by the day. You may want to contact the Eden Rock facility to confirm that... I believe they have a website.

Archived